Author Topic: The Mists  (Read 16761 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The Mists
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »
I'm continueing this discussio on the hemalurgy thread
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
first of all, i apologize for mancing this thread. But does anyone know if the mist leaves a body when it attacks someone? If so, is it just a corpse or is it a sack of bones or a pile of dust or what? I found this quote that might suggest the mists are not the deepness.
The Deepness must be destroyed, and apparently I’m the only
one who can do so. It ravages the world even now. If I don’t stop it
soon, there will be nothing left of this land but bones and dust.
Of course it could just be hyperbole but it struck me as odd.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:39 AM »
Well if it leaves a corpse behind, it would eventually just be bones and dust. The mist in the day would kill of plant life as well. The only question I have is how would the mists get rid of bulidings?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54:26 AM »
The water would decay the buildings eventually, if nobody was around to take care of them.

Other than that, I agree with what's been said about the bodies decomposing into dirt and dust eventually.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
Bones and dust is an allegory representing the world being barren, not to be taken literally.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
But does anyone know if the mist leaves a body when it attacks someone?

Yes, it leaves a body.  Sazed examines the body of that first victim we hear about, and later when he comes upon the dead village, there are corpses outside of a lot of the huts.

EDIT: And it seems to leave pretty normal-looking corpses, since Sazed isn't sure what killed them until he talks to the starving survivor inside the hut.
He ate my horse.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »
Agreed that the statment Bones and Dust is just a reference to what the world will be like.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2008, 04:16:04 AM »
Ok, just bumping this to the top again, Reeves said something in his final theory post that makes me think (sorry Reaves, I know you didn't want a discussion, but I couldn't resist!).  Now normally when Reaves says anything about "Mist Burning," I usually just roll my eyes and move on, but I think he's on to something.
In his post Reaves says the mists are sort of like smoke, given off by allomancers burning metals, I'm not sure if this is entirely true, but It made me immediately think of the smoke-like mist in the well, what if it's being given off by the power of the well somehow?
Actually Reaves, for the most part I agree with you theory, except I think that it's Allomantic, not hemalurgic, Vin only get's this ability when her earring is pulled out, and she is unable to do it again when it is in.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
yeah I have gone back and forth between Allomantic and Hemalurgic because of that very thing. Its just the only people who exhibit the "vanishing mist" thing ARE hemalurgists.
Anyway I know we've gone over this again and again, and I know you guys must be pretty tired of it  ;) I guess we'll find out in a few days!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:00:10 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!