Author Topic: Death to the Grammer Police!  (Read 2345 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Death to the Grammer Police!
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:27:28 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26351328/?GT1=43001

The grammer police have now gone too far. I think the prosecutor should appeal the sentence so that they get life in prison or even death for trying to correct such an engraven error. Okay, the death penalty may be too much, but probation and a $3,035 fee seems a little light. For all of use who struggle with grammer, it's about time those self-righteous people who correct everyone's grammer got punished.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Death to the Grammer Police!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
*cough*g-r-a-m-m-a-r*cough*
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
Vigilante!
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:32:42 AM »
I think it's sad that nobody thought to check the spelling for a sign that was to be displayed for over 60 years in a national park. And that the architect, who I would assume was college-educated, would misspell a word like "immense."

The Lost Shark Fighter: If you think that you shouldn't be corrected for doing something wrong, why should "the grammar police" be punished for doing something that you think is wrong?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:50:20 AM »
First, Miyabi should be prosecuted (and entrapment defenses never work).

Second, I think it is sad that there are people who are so uptight about English's arbitrary grammar and spelling rules has that they would go and destroy a historic and significant sign at a national park.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong with spelling "immense" as "emmense" or "grammar" as "grammer". But sometimes, correcting alleged grammar and spelling errors is wrong and should be punished. In this case, the "grammar police" broke the law to enforce their grammar preferences and therefore, they should be punished.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:26:21 AM »
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with spelling "immense" as "emmense" or "grammar" as "grammer".
soh ewe ar seyeeng thet they'res know rong whey two spel?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
There is actually a group of people that are moving towards spelling everything phonetically instead of based off of the root.  I think it sounds great, but it probably won't work.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
(and entrapment defenses never work).

Maybe not in a court of law, but fortunately people aren't sent to courts of law for correcting people's grammar--they're sent there for vandalism.  And on the court of the street, entrapment defenses work beautifully.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!