Author Topic: What else are you reading, lately?  (Read 9520 times)

kaimipono

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hail the victorious dead.
    • View Profile
    • Times and Seasons
What else are you reading, lately?
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »
You know, besides Brandon.  To get you through till October. 

It seems to be kind of a dry spell lately, all around.  The Republic of Thieves isn't due for another 6 months.  Ditto for The Wise Man's Fear (which got bumped back).  And it's really anyone's guess when A Dance With Dragons will be out. 

I'm thinking of picking up the new Sc*lzi (which looks like it's getting good reviews).  Either that, or swallowing all pride and borrowing my wife's stack of Stephanie Meyer. 

But before I go that far, can I just take the group's pulse?  I may be missing something obvious.  What are y'all reading, lately?  Non-Sanderson category only, please.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: What else are you reading, lately?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
I've started reading some King.  I just started The Shining and it is really good.  I have seen the movie a dozen times but never read the book.

But this goes in the books section.

Also there is already a thread for this here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:05:06 AM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Not necessarily...I mean, they want recommendations from someone who reads Brandon's stuff, and therefore would have similar interests to their own. It could, theoretically, go in the book section, however, putting it here gets them that element. If this whole site were Brandon's, then it'd go in books section, however, because it's a question specifically for Brandon's readers, it goes here.

And what's with the freaking out about thread locations lately, anyway? If the mods think they need to be moved, they will move them.

Now, for the question posed....that really depends I guess. It would help if you told us what you've already read, so that we don't give books you've already read. Right now I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series, by Steven Erikson, beginning with Gardens of the Moon. It's a little confusing for the first 200 pages, seeing as the author drops you in the middle of a war, but I was pulled right in and stayed with it through to the end. About the 200 page mark it gets intense. The author doesn't mind killing of characters if necessary, so you get a somewhat Martin-ish feel. Beyond that, the scope of this series is HUGE. Like, massive. Like, probably as many characters as Wheel of Time or more. Plus there are already 8 books out, so they should keep you busy.

Like I said, if you could tell us what you've already read and liked, it would really help. But that's a start.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
If it's not about Brandon's stuff, it goes in the other forums. Period.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »
I stand corrected.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

kaimipono

• Level 2
  • Hail the victorious dead.
    • View Profile
    • Times and Seasons
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
Err, sorry about that. 

Like Andrew suggests, I was hoping to hear specifically from Brandon fans (a group that has already demonstrated good taste and judgment).  I didn't realize it was against board norms, though.  Sorry bout that. 
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

mrod271

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
some people are really anal about topics starting up again and what posts go in what forum. Maybe its not proper forum ettiquete but it really_is_not_a_BIG_Deal. They don't take into account that your a Brandon Sanderson fan therefore you only want to post in Brandon's forum and want to know what books other Brandon Sanderson fans are reading. They read the title of the post but still felt some obligatory need to correct you as if to teach you a lesson. Personally I say if you want to make a post then go for it, Ignore the nay sayers. They have a choice to ignore the thread completely if they wish and let those who truly wish to comment back do so. But they don't. Some people should get off their high horse  and relax a little bit, it is just a forum.  It is easy for people forget their manners online.

FYI
Read the Rhapsody series by Haydon
ALl the star wars books by Timothy Zahn and the ones by Anderson (jedi academy trillogy i believe)
Sword of Truth by Goodkind
Runelords by Farland (I think) was an interesting series as well but I admit even I havent read the last 2 or 3
A game of thrones by George rr martin is pretty good. (last book wasnt great but the first few are fantastic)
as well as all of the drizzit D'Urden (Sp.) Series ( very easy but cool reads) by RA SAlVATORE

Those should last you awhile.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »
I honestly think that if the question is specifically intended to garner the opinion of fellow Sanderson fans on what other books they like then this is a fine place for it.

And on that note... I just finished "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie and I will be buying the next one this evening.  Bloody awesome book. In all ways.  Really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Korda

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:29 AM »
I've been reading Mark Chadbourn's books before I found out about Brandon. He is similar in that he tried to do something different with fantasy. Its basically set in modern England as the world for some inexplicable reason turns to a place of magic again and technology begins to fail. I liked it a lot the first two times I read the series it has some cool concepts about christianity and paganism. He's nowhere near as good a writer as Brandon though
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »
I recently decided to re-read WoT currently on book 5.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 12:12:56 AM »
I've been reading Brooks's Shannara series. Its an easy read but entertaining enough to fill the empty space.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »
I've been reading Brooks's Shannara series. Its an easy read but entertaining enough to fill the empty space.

Yeah, my mom buys me Brooks' books whenever a new one comes out, even though I haven't cared for him for awhile now. She just bought me Gypsy Morph and I am forcing myself to read it. I haven't had the heart to tell her I don't care for them because she takes pleasure in buying them for me. It keeps us close I guess despite the distance.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:32:37 AM »
I don't think I'm gonna read anything past the High Druid of Shannara series that I just started. I mean the books are ok even though they lack a lot of depth. But to continue to read after the whole Four Lands thing is done and see what else he can do a lack luster job on isn't to appealing.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
Lets see... in the past week or so I've read,

Karen Miller-- Kingmaker(book1) & Kingbreaker(book2)
J.V.Jones-- Cavern of Black Ice(book1)
Guy Gavriel Kay-- The Wandering Fire(book2) & The darkest Road(book3) [I seem to have lost book1]
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:44:27 AM »
I don't think I'm gonna read anything past the High Druid of Shannara series that I just started. I mean the books are ok even though they lack a lot of depth. But to continue to read after the whole Four Lands thing is done and see what else he can do a lack luster job on isn't to appealing.

The new Genesis of Shannara series (gypsy morph being the last) bridges between Word and the Void and the Sword of Shannara. It explains a few things, etc. His next series will probably bridge the 4 lands to Landover, meh.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.