Author Topic: Seons, why are they still around after the Reod  (Read 1475 times)

Leon

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Seons, why are they still around after the Reod
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
ok, i hate it when people prefece with this, but i went a few pages deep and didnt see hardly anything about elantris let alone this specific topic...

Why do the Seons live on after the Reod, if the core of thier existanse is an Aon and the Aons power left when the earthquake happened and fundementaly chagned the Aon's then how do the seons keep living?

this may be answered later on in the book, im just doing my first re-read and seeing Ien float around amelessly got me wondering.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: Seons, why are they still around after the Reod
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »
My guess is that their link to their master keeps them sane.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
I think its because the Aons didn't completely lose their power. Galladon (that is his name, right? its been a while...) could still draw the Aons before the Dor was fixed, even though they couldn't do anything, similar to the way the Aons just floated around aimlessly, not doing anything.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »
I actually think Brandon explained this a long time ago in some thread, I don't have a link though, but I do remember the explanation.

When a Seon is made there is a bunch of energy that is stored in them.  That energy is what keeps them alive and allows them to function the way that they do.  So the affecting of the Dor wouldn't cause them to lose power, however when their owner is afflicted with the Shaod they are then connected back to the Dor and its ruined state causes them to go insane.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Leon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!

based off what you said, does that mean that the Aons could have run out of power had Raodin not figured out how to let the Dor flow again?

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »
I don't think they would have lost their power because it never seemed to be degrating. It just changed. the way the aeon's were being drawn was still drawing some power just not enough to get any desired effect. Seeing how the aeon's and the seons maintined their power after the initial change of the aeon's form it seems likely that further power loss would not happen. That is of course if there were no more earthquakes.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 10:40:53 PM »
Perhaps the Seons also keep working because they are a piece of a shard?

That whole stored energy thing sounds a lot like lifeless creation by the way.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Leon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
Perhaps the Seons also keep working because they are a piece of a shard?

That whole stored energy thing sounds a lot like lifeless creation by the way.

from what i understand of shards, so far there physical manifestations have either been lakes or actual people.  The four that i think we have seen are ruin/preservation in mistborn (the well of assention had a lake, and i believe so did the pits) the lake outside elantris and i assume that Jaddeth has a lake under ground somewhere.