Author Topic: I WANNA!!! . . . .  (Read 8665 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I WANNA!!! . . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 04:43:23 AM »
You're not the only linguistics expert...

Anyway, it's more a cant or argot than a dialect.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 04:55:37 AM »
Suddenly feels dumb because I want to minor in linguistics and I don't know what those words mean.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

sporkify

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
Actually, Sanderson has posted a few translations in the annotations of Mistborn.
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »

I was being facetious, I'm not actually a linguistic expert at all, though I once dreamed of being one.  But for the rest of you who are interested in linguistics, don't you get annoyed with the way Spook talks?  Doesn't it offend all your morphological and syntactical instincts?

(By the way, I would argue that "dialect" actually is a better term than "cant" or "argot", since the differences in speech are supposedly regional rather than being the specialized terms of a particular trade or a way of speaking in certain situations.)
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »
But it seems highly unlikely to have developed naturally, so it probably started as a cant or cryptolect, to quote the Wikipedia rhyming slang article, "developed intentionally to confuse non-locals."

Brandon based the concept of Spook's language, if not the exact execution, on the posts of TWG forum member Gemm.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »
Do we have links for these posts (says the guy who never links anything).
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »

Ookla, has everything you've said always sounded like you were on the verge of revealing some great, three-book secret? Or is that an acquired trait?

(I can see it now. . . .)
Ookla's Spouse: "Honey, could you make a trip to the store? I'd like some oranges to put in this salad."
Ookla: "Oranges aren't the only things you find in stores, you know."
Ookla's Spouse: "We're also running out of milk, you should probably pick up a gallon while you're there."
Ookla: "Milk isn't the only thing we're running out of."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:42:05 PM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
Ookla's Spouse: oh, I've finally figured out how to cook this cake without sugar so it still tastes good!
Ookla: You just want to think you've got that one figured out...

I agree. I think it must be an acquired trait, but I don't know, maybe he's had it since birth.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Ookla's spouse: So this cake I am making for your mother's birthday, I was thinking white cake because I have a wonderful recipe but also thinking about making chocolate because she raved about the piece she had at Applebee's that one time.
Ookla: This makes me laugh, when you finish making the cake let me know and I'll share it with you.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »
Ookla: What you made isn't actually a cake, it's more of a bread.
Mrs. Mok: Well, I used baking powder and not yeast.
Ookla: Ah, but what you thought was baking powder actually started out as yeast, when it was first invented.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
Ookla: It's a mistake to draw any conclusions based on one piece of cake. Yes, some things turn out the same, but more things don't.
(After second piece)
Ookla: This cake is horrible.  Just kidding (Or am I?)

Sorry mine doesn't have the characteristic ... in it, but you know.  Good work you guys, these made me laugh.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:13:30 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 02:25:17 AM »
I actually have a cake recipe without sugar that I make for Ookla's birthday...but he doesn't go to the store very often.

Umm... I don't know what your problem is with the way he talks.  I understand him perfectly.  His obfuscations are really just more of a cant or argot -- meant to confuse non locals... ;)

-Mrs. Mok
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »
WE understand him, it just seems that everything he types here makes it sound like he's hiding something or knows more than what he's letting on (which he usually does).
His obfuscations are really just more of a cant or argot -- meant to confuse non locals... ;)
That is hilarious.  A round of applause for Mrs. Mok!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
*claps loudly and laughs hysterically*

Yeah, we know what he means, it's just that he always says stuff that's meant to either confuse, mislead, redirect, help, encourage, or annoy us. Hence, we can't figure out when he's doing one and when he's doing another. But where would we be in our speculation without him?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
*joins in the applause for Mrs. Mok, not just for her comment but for the incredible feat of understanding Ookla perfectly*

We certainly can't do without Ookla, he knows too much about everything.  Not only is he an alpha reader, but he seems to be an expert on everything from astronomy to linguistics.  He has all the answers.  Of course, that's also why he frustrates us sometimes - in comparison, we all feel like ignoramuses.
He ate my horse.