Author Topic: Hero of Ages Chapter 1  (Read 19057 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Chapter 1
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
Nobody said Rashek was power hungry. He may have thought that Alendi didn't deserve to be the Hero of Ages, but that doesn't mean he wanted the power, himself. So it could be him, shortly after he ascended, and knowing he's not the one everyone's expecting, or wanting, but he's the one who stopped the deepness.

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »
I think it's Rashek, because it makes the most sense.  As Brandon recently pointed out in the blog, it's a "story within a story" and we've heard from two of the three main characters in that story--Kwaan and Alendi--so it makes sense for Rashek to be the third.  Not to mention that we need to know what Rashek did at the Well in order to figure out how Vin and Elend put the world back right.

However, I think Rashek's been misled.  In WoA, Kwaan tells us that his last hope is to convince Rashek to kill Alendi to prevent Alendi from giving up the power.  From Rashek's point of view, he believes he is the Hero (at least at the point in time he writes the bump) because that's what Kwaan tells him.  I think Kwaan's strategy is to tell Rashek he's the Hero of Ages, as well as what to do at the Well (even more than just "don't give up the power plzkthx").  But either something goes wrong, or there's something Rashek can't do because he's not a hemalurgist, and ended up with the world of the Final Empire.  For the "unfortunately"? Rashek was jealous of Alendi, but having the fate of the world on your back can put things into perspective, particularly if, as I believe, part of Kwaan's instructions included that Rashek might die/would have to constantly maintain the fight against Ruin or the Deepness for a thousand years/something similarly bleak.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2008, 01:31:21 AM »
Maybe Rashek was misled, but he's still not a nice guy.There's been a couple people now saying, that it was just his circumstances, that poor Rashek couldn't help becoming a power hungry (yes I think he is power hungry.  Once he retrapped Ruin and drove back the deepness, he didn't HAVE to take over the world and reshape it), oppressive, tyrant.  Rashek was a bad man, you see this by the way he oppressed the skaa and was willing to kill thousands of them.  You can say, oh he's just tired of the world because he's lived so long, well no one's making him keep all his power for himself.  Bringing him down might not have been the best thing, but it was a good thing.
Sorry about that rant.
Anyways, Rashek writing the bumps is possible, but where are these writing located in the story?  Where do the heroes find them, statlin?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »
Maybe Rashek was misled, but he's still not a nice guy.

I really agree with you.  In fact, I think Kwaan chose Rashek precisely because he wasn't a good man.  And at the same time, it's part of the great mystery of what Rashek did and what he was supposed to do at the Well. 

As for where they find his logbook, it's quite possible that it's somewhere in Kredik Shaw or Statlin City or even the Conventical.  Or maybe the main characters stumble upon the ruins of Khlennium or simply a noble family's library in Luthadel. Another parallel favoring Rashek for the bump writer is that Alendi's logbook was key in Final Empire and Kwaan's rubbing was likewise in Well of Ascention.  It would make sense that something written by Rashek about what he did at the Well and begin the Final Empire would serve as a key plot component in Hero of Ages.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
Too true, I agree that Rashek will be key, I think he was the person who ended up knowing the most about the situation, thus it would be beneficial for the group to find out what was going on.  Like Sazed (or was it Marsh) said at the end of book one, "the only person who could have answered that question died this morning.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2008, 06:12:57 AM »
OK.  I'm playing off what Andrew(?) said in another thread.

EUOL said that the bump writer was nearly omniscient.

If the Atium used in Hemalurgy COULD be used to see way into the future, maybe Rashek DID know what was going to happen and new that because he 'was the Here' that he would have to die?  And now he's telling us about everything in the world in the bumps?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
Brandon said near omnicient (and as someone who's very bothered by typos and grammar injustices, you should check your post over. (This coming from the guy who just used one set of brackets within another.  This sentence is like a math equation. :P)), so that could refer to the Lord Ruler.  And also someone who knows pretty much everything about Allomancy and Hemalurgy.  I'm still not sold that Atium with hemalurgy let's you see super far into the future and let's you know what's going to happen because that sounds like predetermined destiny, and to me, this book is very against this, as the future is very undetermined in mistborn.  Atium itself is an example of this, if two people are using atium, they are shown all the possibilites that could happen.  Vin even proves that her future is not pre determined when she fights Zane, and creates her own double Atium shadow, without using it herself.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2008, 06:36:42 AM »
Actually whereas 'near' was describing 'was' it's correct form would be 'nearly,' because I was describing the verb. HUZAH!

Yeah, that is a good point.  I guess he could have changed the fact that he died. :/  I dunno.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
so i guess we are kinda assuming that once Rashek killed Alendi he took his piercings? Do we have any evidence for or against the ability to do that?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
No we don't really.  BUT he could have made Alendi teach him about Hemalurgy before he killed him and then made his own piercings.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »
then how do we leap from Alendi saying he holds the future on his arms to Rasheks piercings unless they are the same ones?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2008, 08:08:34 PM »
We're kind of grasping at a thread there (and Miyabi, I was just teasing of course, and I was referring to how you used 'new,' instead of 'knew.'  I had just finished reading the grammar police topic before I wrote that :).
I'm still not sold on the bracers being both feruchemical AND hemalurgic (what fun words, did we make those up?).  You'll have to convince me.  I wonder... what would happen if Vin swallowed and burned her earring?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
Oh dang. . . I feel really dumb now. ha ha.

I like the idea of the fusing of Feruchemy and Hemalurgy (Yes we did make up all of the tenses of these words on the boards. HUZZAH! (Woah!  According to Firefox spell check huzzah is a real word?))  We've seen it go Ferchemy -> Allomancy . . . . Why couldn't it go Feruchemy -> Hemalurgy?  I dunno. 

Burning her earring. . . hmm.  Wouldn't she have to have something stored there?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2008, 03:42:12 AM »
That's with a feruchemy allomancy mix, I'm wondiring what happens if you burn something that has hemalurgic power in it.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2008, 04:06:31 AM »
*feels retarded*

Hmmm. . . that sounds pretty intense. . . like would it be super super allomancy? ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。