Author Topic: Hero of Ages Chapter 1  (Read 19646 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Chapter 1
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »
Remember that Elend has been in a chaotic war zone for a year, fighting a superpowered near-omniscient being. That would change you.

And what's with the facial hair obsession?
I just hate it with a flaming burning passion.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

wfberkhof

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
Ooh goody! Brandon only released the first sample chapter, so I'm still one of the few people in the know. :P

I won't spoil anything for you guys, but I can safely say that this is Elend, ugly facial hair and all.  :D

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »
Ooh goody! Brandon only released the first sample chapter, so I'm still one of the few people in the know. :P

I won't spoil anything for you guys, but I can safely say that this is Elend, ugly facial hair and all.  :D
Awwww!

Well that just spoils all of our fun!  Meanie head. >P
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
Ha! I win.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »
"Three cheers for Emperor Elend. Hip hip...HOORAY"......And lead by the Madness, the townsfolk cheered loudly into the night. For they finally had an emperor and not just any emperor, Emperor Elend Venture...
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 03:20:50 AM »
*Cries as Elend becomes so hard and stern.*

They grow up so fast. . . and they change so much. :'(
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:39 AM »
I like the idea of the limit on how many they can control at once... Though I'm not sure how many that is. And charging them before they get into a blood rage is a really good idea, because if they're kept off guard, they may never get into one. Remember when Elend fights that one inside the Koloss camp, kills it, and gives a pointless explanation (he ate my horse)? They don't even care.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 06:40:37 AM »
I was thinking that maybe it wasn't so much a limit of control per se, but more of a limit to how many you can grab at a time.  (Think K/s-Koloss per second)  Remember that Vin never did grab an army all at once; she took control in groups.
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »
Or, we could be right in that Elend already knows he is going to win.  Think about it.  If he arrived at a village with an army of Koloss at his command, many Skaa would probably think of him as a new Lord Ruler, a tyrant to replace a tyrant.  Instead, he leads them to victory against TLR's former monster army.  He is earning their loyalty instead of demanding it (or at least they think he is earning it). 
  I understand that he could simply have learned enough about the Koloss to take advantage of their weaknesses, or even have the ability to control half of them and turn them on the other half, but I like the underhanded thief type tactics continuing on in this book.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
but I like the underhanded thief type tactics continuing on in this book.

You don't use those types of tactics on people you intend to rely upon in the end. He isn't leading them out to play dodgeball, he is leading them out to death, either theirs or the Koloss, his biggest weapon if he did actually control them, just to bring aboard barely trained skaa that would desert him in a second if they found out it was a ruse. It is a lose-lose situation.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
I don't expect anyone except Vin has the power to still the koloss.

Keep in mind that OreSeur (okay TenSoon) was telling Vin in book 2 that Mistborn generally were a threat to his people, and that power appears to work in a similar fashion with both kandra and koloss.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
I think any Mistborn could do it.  They just need the strength and probably a bit of duralumin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
I agree. Any mistborn with the right metals can do it.

And whoever was talking about koloss per second, just know that you had me laughing for a good 2 minutes or so. Seriously, I just get this mental image of a koloss-throwing competition...priceless.

Wow. I just noticed that the ad from google on the post reply page is: Find Lesbian Singles. Hmm. Interesting... I've never had one quite like that pop up for me.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
well ya know what they say the only thing better than one girl is two girls...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
I just find it interesting that that was the ad for this particular page. Usually they're a little more.... user-oriented? Specialized? As in, we're on a fantasy author's forum, so they show ads from amazon with fantasy books? The only thing I can think of is that Miyabi's comment about hating facial hair with a flaming burning passion or burning fiery passion or something like that got the google people excited and they just plopped that one on. It's still pretty funny, though. 

Wow. This time it's Beyond Mormonism - the personal journey of a former Mormon Elder, and 'Camp' Camp - Gay Adults. This is just an interesting thread. But now that we're sufficiently sidetracked....