Author Topic: Hero of Ages Chapter 1  (Read 19035 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Hero of Ages Chapter 1
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »
Insomnia pays off! Discuss the new chapter here. I'll edit this post once with what I've got afterward.

And Jakobus, agreed. Elend pwns.

I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.
The chapter headings are done by a Hero of Ages. I'd assume this means Rashek as was guessed before.

Black ash fell lightly from the sky, as it did most days lately.
Ashfalls (And the ashmounts.) are getting more regular, perhaps?

"I need your solders and I need your city."
Why would Elend need the city? Is it perhaps Statlin City? (Perhaps the city was renamed?)

General thoughts:

I think Vin must be stronger than Elend, otherwise he'd just Super-Soothe the Koloss into his bidding with Duralumin. Unless maybe they ran out of it, but I think they have the resources to find more. Either that or that's just another quirky thing only Vin can do.  It seems Elend has gotten pretty proficient with most metals, as I'm sure he used Iron, Steel, Pewter, Zinc, and Brass in that chapter.

I wonder why Vin didn't go to Vetitan as well. Something must be keeping her elsewhere if Elend himself had to come, especially if she's the only one who can control koloss. Perhaps they're both out, saving as many cities as they can, just in different directions.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:48:41 AM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Chapter 1
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!!??!?!

Oh, and Elend is sooo much more of a hardass
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:27:11 AM by Jakobus »
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Venture immediately jumped up to the top of the bulwark, using his Allomancy to cross the distance in a quick bound. Most of the soldiers stooped or hid behind the top of the fortification, keeping a low profile despite the distance of their enemies. Venture, however, stood proud in his white cape and uniform, shading his eyes, squinting toward the horizon.

Also notice nowhere does it show Elend throwing coins or any such metal to the ground. Whether this means the skaa just don't know much about allomancy are were looking somewhere else or Elend actually doesn't need to anymore i don't know.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
Venture immediately jumped up to the top of the bulwark, using his Allomancy to cross the distance in a quick bound. Most of the soldiers stooped or hid behind the top of the fortification, keeping a low profile despite the distance of their enemies. Venture, however, stood proud in his white cape and uniform, shading his eyes, squinting toward the horizon.

Also notice nowhere does it show Elend throwing coins or any such metal to the ground. Whether this means the skaa just don't know much about allomancy are were looking somewhere else or Elend actually doesn't need to anymore i don't know.

I think it was just because there were a lot of metal anchors around he could have used. Horseshoes, soldiers, city buildings, they all have metal that he could use.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:45 PM »
Now that's the Elend Venture I was waiting for! Fantastic!
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »
Now that's the Elend Venture I was waiting for! Fantastic!
yes exactly. He is no longer half-scholar half-king, trying to fit into shoes 3 sizes to big. He has matured and grown. Now he is emperor.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
Why are we all so sure that this is Elend Venture?  Something seems wrong to me.  Why doesn't Elend Just take control of the Koloss?  Also, why did he come alone?  Since he arrived on horseback, he could have been just as fast with a small group of soldiers to help in the preparation.  His allomancy would not have helped the horse run faster.   
  Then to have 2k untrained farmers attack 10k Koloss in the open?  The only advantage I see is to minimize Koloss casualties after the population is exterminated.  I could just be overthinking this, but something is wrong. Also, a question; what color is Elend's hair in the first 2 books?  I can't remember.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »
either brown or black, and i had similar thoughts about the koloss. Possible explanations:
1. He is out of Duralumin for controlling Koloss.
2. Of course you may also need hemalurgy to control koloss but i have no backup or evidence for this idea.
3. His soldiers are fighting an even greater threat. Why he would need two armies i have no idea.

And of course you could be right. This is not Elend Venture, just an Allomantic look-alike. He has trapped the women and children in a few clustered buildings. He has brought an army of koloss to Vetitian and is leading the skaa to their doom.

Elariel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's Elend. His hair is dark brown (like it is here) and he's wearing it short like Tindwyl encouraged him to. Also, he still talks like Elend, we're just not given his perspective. The part where he mentions that he used to believe he do things "another way" and still believes in that possibility, was very Elend like. If it isn't Elend, it's a Kandra, and I don't think they can use Allomancy.

As for the horse... Vin particularly hates horses, but they can be useful. Using pewter all the time is dangerous, and Elend has come a long way.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
AHHHHHHHH!!!!

I'm so excited... it's wonderful, and if the first chapter is this good, then I can hardly imagine how FANTASTIC the rest of it is going to be! ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »
Perhaps Elend cannot control the Koloss because something else does or because he is not as strong as Vin or a handfull of other options. He just sounds like Elend, although much more Kelsier-like; I almost cried with pride, lol.

Edit: And maybe Vin isn't there because she is raising their baby. :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:47:43 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Elariel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
Perhaps Ruin is controlling the Koloss? They have nails in them. And if that's so it makes for huge trouble for our heroes, because will they not only have to fight the warping of reality stuff, they'll have to fight huge armies. (hey, Sanderson described this book as a 'war epic') Sorry if this idea's already been mentioned.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
If it isn't Elend I may have to weep from dissapointment.....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
UGH, I HATE  HATE HATE this version of Elend.  Until it is 100% proven that this is the REAL Elend I won't believe.  Also, there is a lot of foreshadowing in this chapter that would let us believe that this isn't the REAL Elend.  I mean, he seems to me like a very good actor, but NOT Elend.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
UGH, I HATE  HATE HATE this version of Elend.  Until it is 100% proven that this is the REAL Elend I won't believe.  Also, there is a lot of foreshadowing in this chapter that would let us believe that this isn't the REAL Elend.  I mean, he seems to me like a very good actor, but NOT Elend.

Whoa there. Hate this version of Elend? That is insane. As Czanos put it this Elend, and I truly hope this is the real Elend(thanks Darxbane for planting the seed of doubt), simply pwns!