Author Topic: Hero of Ages Chapter 1  (Read 19051 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Chapter 1
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. I agree with you.

Hmmmm...I feel so sad. Why do I only get one star when Reaves and Chaos get 4 and Coma gets 5?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »
I know.  I mean, Coma def has a few more posts than me, but I've been around longer and I have more posts than a lot of people and I am online A LOT. . . how do I only have one star?

Oh and Sporkify, that's a great find.  I REALLY should go buy that book just for the preview chapters. xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
The stars are part of a ranking system, so it depends on how this site is set up. My guess is it is mod/admin set, based upon brown nosing. Some of the forums I have been apart of had some real weird rankings. One had a ranking based upon how many times you posted using the secret 'word of the week'. On another forum, they awarded golf style: the more stars the worse your posts (It was great because some people thought they were real popular or something only to find out they were just outted trolls).
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
Hmmm...Just had a "Site Hacked, debating whether to try fixing" message pop up when I tried to come here. So should we assume that the forum changes are a result of the hack, or that the hack is the result of the forum changes?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
Hmmm...Just had a "Site Hacked, debating whether to try fixing" message pop up when I tried to come here. So should we assume that the forum changes are a result of the hack, or that the hack is the result of the forum changes?

Earlier I thought they had done a joke hack like they were going to announce something big etc. but then I saw the bad language at the bottom and knew the site had been hacked. SMF used to be pretty stable until it became popular, then all the haxors came out. Not sure if it got hacked because of forum changes, but it seems weird that the changes occured and then it got hacked.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
Most people missed the little while when there was NO style.  It was just like text, no images.  THEN there was the basic layout that we have now.  Then it was all one big image that said "Hacked By Such and such group"  Then there was a bunch of Arabic writing on it and the image was animated kinda stuff.  Then it came back to what we have now. :/
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
So someone hacked in changed everything just for fun and left?  And why do I have so many stars?  Is it random?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
They stars are set by SOME parameter, what that is I have no clue. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »
Progression toward insanity?

]Accident[

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »
So nobody knows what happened to the forum site? Very odd.

I can't think of a single multi-volume fantasy series where the first primary character introduced ISN'T the major hero of the story. Of course, Kelsier is dead, so the next character introduced is Vin, and it is clear to me why Kelsier's setup had to come first. Comparing Vin with Elend, we know much more background on her, and more internal POV, than Elend or anyone else. Fantasy heros are very often orphans or outcasts with very hard upbringings, as is Vin's case, but Elend is neither, being instead a pampered dandy who just happens to have an honorable heart. Elend doesn't appear until well into the first volume, and doesn't get a great amount of "air-time" until quite late in the book.

Then there is also the cover art, who do we find featured?

Answering another post, Rashek never thought himself the HoA, that was Alendi. Rashek knew quite well that he was a pretender, he never felt the pulses of the WoA, but he apparently took the Power Pill after backstabbing Alendi.

It's Vin. Her boy toy may have become awesome, but he's not the Hero.
The preceding message posted entirely by ]Accident[, intentionally.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2008, 01:30:16 AM »
But Vin proved to be just as much a false hero as Alendi did.  I'm thinking more and more along the lines that the mist spirit is the one writing the bumps, and thus is the hero of ages.

Progression toward insanity?
That would explain it ::) ??? :o
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2008, 03:07:07 AM »
The more you talk about the more it makes sense that the Mist Spirit would be the bump writer. 

Also, it is semi-omniscient and the Mist Spirit DOES seem to know a lot.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2008, 03:23:44 AM »
I still think it's Rashek, and since chaos isn't here I'll advocate that he thinks so too.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2008, 03:27:57 AM »
That would be cheating, my friend.
I also don't think it would be Rashek.  Even if he does think he actually is the hero of ages (which I'm not convinced of), he wouldn't say "unfortunately," he'd considerate it an honour and fitting that he be the hero of ages.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2008, 04:54:06 AM »
Maybe he originally did, then for the first while after his ascension things were good then he became tyrannical and though, 'Why the hell do I have to put up with their whining and asking me to do everything?'  So then he became evil.  So it COULD be him.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。