Poll

How and when did you become a fan of Brandon Sanderson's work?

I knew Brandon personally before I read his writing.
2 (7.7%)
I first heard of him through the Wheel of Time announcement.
14 (53.8%)
A friend recommended his books to me.
4 (15.4%)
I was hooked by publicity (ads, bookstore displays, signings, etc.).
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: How did you become a fan?  (Read 2247 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How did you become a fan?
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
I've just been wondering how many of the current posters are new to Sanderson (like me) and how many are old friends.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How did you become a fan?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
BTW, for those interested, here's another thread from some of the older posters.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
Yeah...the old thread has tons of replies in it already. It doesn't have a poll, but for the discussion people can just go there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Sorry to start a redundant thread - just shows how new I am, I guess!  There are a lot of great stories in that old thread - I highly recommend it.  Among other things, it mentions a few people who have shared a bed with EUOL.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:37:13 AM »
I said publicity, but I wouldn't really call it that.  I was just looking for a stand alone fantasy book, and I found Elantris.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:42:02 AM »
The book covers and jacket copy count as a marketing tool.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:46:56 PM »
I first heard about Brandon Sanderson through the WOT.  Nevertheless, what got me reading his work was the podcast Writing Excuses.  I was inspired by Brandon, Dan, and Howard to begin writing again.  However, to see if they practiced what they preached, I picked up Brandon's book Mistborn #1.  I loved it and bought the second soon after.  I'm waiting for Dan's book to come out, I've heard its going to be awhile, with anticipation.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:49:18 PM »
Dan's book was the most disturbing book I have read in years, and more disturbing than I would usually care to read. (Of course, that would be why it's classified as psychological horror.) Now that he's made the main character 3 years older, though, it sounds like something I'd be more able to handle. It was definitely well written, and very cool.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:01:35 PM by Ookla The Mok »

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
I know a little something of the basic premise, but in the way he describes it, the book sounds interesting.  Honestly though, don't read much horror/dark fantasy, Dan will be my first foray into that genre in years.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
Actually, the way I discovered Brandon's awesomeness was, I guess, by marketing tools if the description on the back of the book is considered marketing. I suppose it would be, because I was just looking in the Sci-fi/Fantasy section in the Borders bookstore at Seattle airport for a good read while I waited for my flight. I loved the initial concept immediately, and when I began reading Elantris, I was enthralled. I knew this was an awesome author.

Oh, and Orson Scott Card's quote on the Elantris paperback certainly helped in that impulse buy, too.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »
It seems most of us currently posting do NOT know Brandon Sanderson personally.  I guess that speaks well for the expanding popularity of his work, but I wonder if all those old-time posters are nostalgic for the time before we strangers were around.  I've read a lot of the really old threads, and there was such a sense of cameraderie between old friends that if I'd been one of them I think I'd resent the takeover by new fans, and stop coming by so often.  So to those of you old-timers still reading, here's my official apology for being one of those invaders, and my sincere thanks for so graciously letting us use your space to rave and speculate and connect with other fans of EUOL's writing.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »
I imagine they are like the crew and we are Vin watching the joking from the dark corner in the hallway. Eventually we become part of the crew and can barely imagine looking in from the outside.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »
It seems like, at least in Brandon's board, I'm the most active old-timer. A lot of the other old-timers live near Brandon and have contact with him in other ways, but I'm pretty isolated from the crew and the Time-Waster's Guide has been almost my only connection besides the occasional e-mail and the rare convention.

I do miss the old days, honestly, when Brandon was hashing things out on the boards and most respondents were alpha readers. I'm enjoying the current state of the board as well, but especially after Worldcon I'm really starting to feel the loss of that lifeline. Most people here now I don't know like I know the old guard.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 03:29:21 AM »
I remember when I first started posting around two years ago. (I then ended up on a year and a half hiatus do to family issues and business.)  It seemed EVERYONE BUT me was an alpha reader.  I felt so left out. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。