Author Topic: I would like to announce!  (Read 110690 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to announce!
« Reply #510 on: July 13, 2009, 08:36:02 PM »
ryos:
The electric bill is broken down into 3 or 4 different "per kwh" charges, PLUS a charge just for having the service.
A kwh still is more for power than gasoline. I could actually use a generator and pay less per month than I do from the electric company. I know people that have done it. the biggest problem is that generators are LOUD.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #511 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
ryos:
The electric bill is broken down into 3 or 4 different "per kwh" charges, PLUS a charge just for having the service.
A kwh still is more for power than gasoline. I could actually use a generator and pay less per month than I do from the electric company. I know people that have done it. the biggest problem is that generators are LOUD.

You're the only American I have EVER heard of who can buy gas cheaper than electricity.  As the EIA statistics show, you are in a severe minority.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
then i suggest you try it yourself.

Buy a generator and shut your electricity off for a month. See how much you save.

The stats quite often leave off all those "extra" charges the utilities throw on there. Electricity rates are typically pegged directly on oil and coal prices. Since oil rates directly affect gasoline rates, why should they be so far apart?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
You run your home electricity off of a generator?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
no, it is too noisy, but I have before when we lost power for a while.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #515 on: July 14, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »
Looking up information on generators, a low wattage gasoline generator (won't power your entire house) will on average use .3 gallons per HOUR.

High wattage generators (will power your whole house) use upwards of 1+ gallons of gas an hour. One high wattage generator that was considered one of the most efficient by several reviews i found on differing generator sites used 1.67 gallons an hour.

Also: Many sites recommended highly AGAINST gasoline high wattage generators because of the high cost, and reccommended going either natural gas or propane, because they're cheaper fuels.

Comparison of average home and RV generators

Also note that the REASON for the power grid is because mass producing electricity is much cheaper than individually producing it. In fact, the invention of the power grid is pretty much the sole reason we have such an electricity dependant society today.

Edit: You also say you pay $80/mo. for your electricity bill. You also say you pay $2.30 for gas. So $80/$2.30 = 34.78 (rounded) gallons of gas you have to use less than per month to save compared to your bill. If you ran your generator for a month, that's about 720 hours. so 34.78/720 = 0.048 gallons (rounded, again) of gas per hour you would need to use LESS THAN to save money over your electric bill.

As far as I'm aware, there are no home generators that are anywhere NEAR this efficient. The only way to save money with a generator is by SHUTTING IT OFF at every juncture you can. This kills off any extra power use while you aren't home/using it/whatever. However, this would effectively be the same as calling up the electric company and asking them to kill/turn on your power several times a day to cut excess Kwh usage, and this says nothing of the efficiency comparison.

Further edit: (sorry, i like math) Let's find out how many hours/day you would need to run to break even with the very numbers you gave us earlier. Assuming your generator is the max efficiency i could find (i.e. the lowest number) of .3 gals/hr, and we want to break even with your 80/mo. bill. So we know you pay 2.30 for gas, so 80/2.30 = 34.78 (rounded) gallons of gas per month to break even. So 34.78 / 0.3 = 115.94 (rounded) hours of electricity per month. We'll assuming just a normal 30 days/month, to give us the most amount per days on an average month (sorry, february, you freak!), so 115.94/30 = 3.86. To break even, you would need to run the generator (which at such a low wattage can't power your house fully) under 4 hours a day to break even.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:56:59 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »
I should probably note that at the time, I had gas heat and gas stove and was really only running the fridge and the TV in the evening, and it was in the fall. I probably only used about 50-60 gallons of gas at around $2 per gallon, and yes, i had packed the freezer tight and turned it off when I was not using it.

My electric bill was only $80 during bare minimu use, I was typically in the $150-$175 range.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #517 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »
My shower curtain is made of cloth. When I first turn on the water in the shower, I seal the edges of the curtain to the edges of the shower with water. If I don't, there's always a draft from the cold part of the bathroom.

I would sleep on my belly, but I don't like waking up with my neck in crazy land. If I sleep on my side, my arm sometimes falls asleep. I can't sleep on my back. It's too boring.

It's strange when you meet somebody you haven't seen for a while and they look totally different than they used to. Or rather, you perceive them differently but know that they look the same as they always have.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (the film) was pretty good.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
Rambling again:

Today a french tour guide (attached to a location, not a tour group), after mistaking me for a French tourist told me, "I'm sorry, you just look French." I thanked her and went on my merry way. Backstory, though!

When I was in HS, an exchange student from Toledo (yeah, I'm sure she got sick of the jokes) told me that I looked like I was from Galicia (apparently a region in Spain), which I found kinda odd because I think I look rather British (brutish?). Apparently, I just have one of those (multicultural) faces. Which is different from having one of those (culture-specific) faces. Possibly. Perhaps they are the same. Other possible causes of this phenomenon not yet explored. Regardless, my new life goal is to collect as many of these thought-to-be-a-fellow-[resident of country X] experiences.

Two strange happenstances does not create a phenomenon, but it's a good start.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 14, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »
I'm back.  Not sure why I was gone for so long really . . . I just . . . was not logging in.  Like I just wouldn't think about it until after I was off the computer. ha ha.

EDIT:  Sadness, I wanted to change my name to 雅, but the site doesn't accept Japanese screen names.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:56:50 AM by 雅 »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #520 on: August 14, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
I'm back.  Not sure why I was gone for so long really . . . I just . . . was not logging in.  Like I just wouldn't think about it until after I was off the computer. ha ha.

EDIT:  Sadness, I wanted to change my name to 雅, but the site doesn't accept Japanese screen names.

You look different. Did you change your hair....i mean text color? :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 14, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »
Yes, yes I did.  I'm glad you noticed. =D
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 14, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »
HAHA but your signature is still purple-ish. . . .
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 14, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »
Yeah, I should get around to changing that, when I decide that I'm not going to be lazy. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 14, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Haha. You should keep it, actually; it looks kinda cool.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.