Author Topic: I would like to announce!  (Read 110631 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to announce!
« Reply #465 on: July 04, 2009, 04:03:13 AM »
Did you guys read the update at the bottom of that link?

Update (November 12, 2008): The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) contacted PhysOrg.com to state that the NRC has no plans to review the Hyperion design in the near future, although the NRC and Hyperion have had preliminary talks. Because the Hyperion design is unique, the NRC expects that it will take significant time to ensure safety requirements. In a response to a letter from October 2008, the NRC stated:

“Hyperion Power Generation is in the early stages of development of this design, and very little testing information is available for this design concept. Hyperion Power Generation has indicated that it will submit technical reports to support a pre-application review in late FY 2009. The NRC cannot engage in any meaningful, formal technical interaction with the potential applicant until we receive those reports. Because of the very limited amount of test data and lack of operating experience available for a uranium hydride reactor, the NRC staff anticipates that a licensing review would involve significant technical, safety, and licensing policy issues.”

In other words, it's yet another promising prototype that will never see the light of day.

Speaking of small nuclear reactors that are unlikely to see the light of day, have you guys heard of the Adams Engine? Would you drive a nuclear-powered car?
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 04, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
ryos: with the far-left Dems firmly in control of the governemnt, you are right. If the people take back the government, then we stand a chance of getting real energy solutions. Not the far-left and far-right extremist versions.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #467 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »
Would you drive a nuclear-powered car?
Probably not. I'd rather drive an electric car unless there were massive advantages to having the power plant stored locally. Besides, even if you could purchase nuclear fuel in the first place it would be a bother to store.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 04, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »
for a nuke powered car... you would only need a piece of uranium/plutonium about the size of a dime and it would never run out of fuel.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 05, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »
I would drive a nuclear powered car, basically just for the face that I could say, "I drive a nuclear powered car." ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 05, 2009, 06:55:42 AM »
If the shielding was good enough to hold up under any possible accident, I would.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 05, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »
the radiation from about a dime's worth of plutonium, would be about the same as the radiation from a cellphone. You wouldnt need very much shielding, if any. There would not be enough fissle material for a "meltdown".

Keep in mind, 90% of our naval fleet is powered by nuclear reactors. If the military stepped it up in R&D, this could certainly be a reality in just a few years.

and I agree with miyabi: I would love to say "I drive a nuclear powered car"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 05, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
the radiation from about a dime's worth of plutonium, would be about the same as the radiation from a cellphone. You wouldnt need very much shielding, if any. There would not be enough fissle material for a "meltdown".

Keep in mind, 90% of our naval fleet is powered by nuclear reactors. If the military stepped it up in R&D, this could certainly be a reality in just a few years.

and I agree with miyabi: I would love to say "I drive a nuclear powered car"
The Future is Now.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2009, 03:51:34 AM »
Umm... You're wrong about the radiation from a dime's worth of plutonium. First off, a cell phone uses microwave radiation. That's not the same thing at all as the ionizing radiation of nuclear decay.

As for the amount, a dime is about 0.25 cubic centimeters. That would be 4.95 grams of P-239. Let's say 5 grams. 5 grams of P-239 would be 0.31 Curies of radiation.  To kill someone within one week requires a dose of only 2.6 Curies. A dose of 0.31 Curies will kill you within 9 weeks. (Of course, that's if you swallow the dime of plutonium. If you just sit near it it will take you longer to die but you will still die.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:19 AM »
I worked with low shielded Americanium for a time. We all wore rad badges. I was accidentally exposed once, the rad badge barely blipped. Now, mind you, it wasnt plutonium, but prolonged exposure would have been bad. It has been over 15 years and I show no outward signs. I didnt say it wouldnt have to be shielded, but it wouldnt require 50 pounds of lead. Really, you wouldnt need much at all, maybe a gallon or two of water should be sufficient for such a small piece, and a dimes worth is probably more than needed. I was just using it as an example.

There is a reactor here in Rhode Island at the University of RI's Maritime campus in Narragansett. It has been running for over 30 years. It powers the entire URI campus. On one 10lb bar. they change the bar out and reprocess it on site. In 30 years, they have used 3 bars. And that is probably because it is a 30 year old reactor and is more of a "training" model, than an updated high tech facility. If they went with the latest and greatest, I bet they could make that one bar last 30 years and power much more than just the Kingston/Narragasett campuses.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
Wow, this conversation has evolved to be way over my head.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 07, 2009, 01:44:08 AM »
There are materials you can mine that are hard to find and dangerous to touch. If you use a type of magic called "science" on samples of these materials, you will get immense power over a time. The power and time are determined by the type and size of the sample and quality of the science used. However, lead must be used to contain the dangerous materials at all times, or anyone who gets close to them will die.

Some magical metal boats that are heavier than water but still float use this material for power. Some people want to harness this power to propel their chariots, and the discussion just previous was about how much of one of these materials would be needed to do that and if that quantity would be dangerous in the event of a crash.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:49:45 AM by sortitus »
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 07, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »
There are materials you can mine that are hard to find and dangerous to touch. If you use a type of magic called "science" on samples of these materials, you will get immense power over a time. The power and time are determined by the type and size of the sample and quality of the science used. However, lead must be used to contain the dangerous materials at all times, or anyone who gets close to them will die.

Some magical metal boats that are heavier than water but still float use this material for power. Some people want to harness this power to propel their chariots, and the discussion just previous was about how much of one of these materials would be needed to do that and if that quantity would be dangerous in the event of a crash.

Huh. You should write a novel; it really seems like you've thought this magic system through.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 07, 2009, 03:48:10 AM »
Huh. You should write a novel; it really seems like you've thought this magic system through.
I will. It came out in 1365. Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
I worked with low shielded Americanium for a time. We all wore rad badges. I was accidentally exposed once, the rad badge barely blipped. Now, mind you, it wasnt plutonium, but prolonged exposure would have been bad. It has been over 15 years and I show no outward signs. I didnt say it wouldnt have to be shielded, but it wouldnt require 50 pounds of lead. Really, you wouldnt need much at all, maybe a gallon or two of water should be sufficient for such a small piece, and a dimes worth is probably more than needed. I was just using it as an example.
You did say "if any" so that confused me. I think the problem with the shielding is not what will protect the passengers under normal operating conditions (won't take much protection for a piece that size, as you say), but what happens in an accident. Making the shielding accident-proof will add to the bulk. I think it can be done but it's a design and engineering challenge.

What was your company doing with the americium? Sounds like an interesting job.