Author Topic: I would like to announce!  (Read 110696 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: I would like to announce!
« Reply #450 on: July 01, 2009, 06:59:59 AM »
many studies have shown that a MAJORITY, not a "large minority" of people have at least some homosexual tendencies or feelings. I cant say whether it is genetic or not, but what I can say is that it is not right to judge others for who or what they are, be it a choice or not. Unless their behavoir in some way harms you, leave well enough alone.

There have also been studies pointing to homosexuality as a deviant choice, but in some cases, the people who came to this conclusion also did studies on atheism too, and found the atheists in their study to be mentally deficient.

bottom line, a study will almost always produce the results that the researcher wants or expects, even if it is subconscious. The researchers bias will always skew the results because they will skew the criteria for the study, whether it is a study on eggs causing cancer, the "cause" of homosexuality, or whether there was once life on Mars. We see it all the time, the big difference is that organized religion does not publish the studies on eggs and use them as proof that eggs are an abomination.

So, to sum up:  You wholesale reject all science, because you believe it's all bogus anyhow.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
no, I dont reject it, I require more than a few studies to reach the same results with varied criteria. Smoking is bad for you, greasy foods make you fat, and the earth revolves around the sun.

You can look at the whole "global warming" or "climate change" science and see how flawed science often makes it's way into mainstream  thought. The climate models used to determine the results are so flawed that they can ONLY come up with one result. Many scientists have debunked the model, many scientists have spoken out against the findings, yet the governments of the world have grabbed the ball and are running with it anyway, even though they have essentially been told to go the wrong way. And it is going to cost us trillions of dollars for nothing.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2009, 01:36:57 AM »
...it is going to cost us trillions of dollars for nothing.
Well, I don't know about that. Being more efficient with our use of energy and materials will make the future easier on our decedents at some point in the future, whether it be in fifty years or five thousand. Now, if these scientists were proposing a massive terraforming project, that would be stupid. As it is, I see no reason to antagonize people who are trying to advance technology, even if they may (or may not) be motivated for the wrong reasons. Besides, all of this doesn't affect you unless you... well, buy almost any energy efficient appliance, computer, vehicle, home, factory, or... power plant? *shifty eyes*
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2009, 03:17:58 AM »
I am talking about, mostly, the ridiculous carbon credits and carbon capture technology which will cost several trillion dollars per year, all paid by, guess who? You and me. And it will mean exactly jack-squat.

More efficient use of energy is nessecary from an economic standpoint as well, so doing that will benefit us all. And both sides agree on better efficiency and reduction of imported oil fuels. The phase out of coal plants is nessecary because of the devastation it has wrought on the landscape and the pollution in cities, although the new "clean coal" plants are quite spectacularly pollution free, except for carbon dioxide, which is not a pollutant, but a naturally occurring substance.

My biggest complaint about the energy issues is that both sides seem to be going about it the wrong way. They completely ignore the cleanest source of energy and lowest environmental impact source: nuclear. solar and wind both need huge swaths of land to even make a minor impact, while nuclear plants can provide all the energy the entire country needs on a total land area the size of Rhode Island. Whereas wind and solar would require the land area of CANADA to produce the same amount.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:09 AM »
Yeah, the public fear of nuclear power is ludicrous. It's a NIMBY issue.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2009, 06:03:12 AM »
I don't understand why nuclear power should be a NIMBY issue. Is it from Chernobyl and other failed Russian nuclear projects or do people think that a nuclear reactor functions like a nuclear warhead?
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »
Didn't we have a melt down in florida or somewhere with one of our plants... the chance of one is low but the fact that there is a chance is what inspires fear and i can't blame anyone for being afraid...the question then becomes does the benefit out way the risk
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Kaz: that is a grand misconception. We had a "scare" at 3 Mile Island, but it never actually had an accident, all the failsafes acted properly and nothing happened. The facility was not even evacuated! So far, Chernobyl is the only nuclear accident the world has ever had. France powers it's entire country with nuclear power, and Russia uses it for quite a bit as well. Here in the US, we currently have around 30 nuclear plants still operating, and about 100 that got too old and were decommissioned instead of being upgraded (because of the silly "nuclear fear"). I lived near a plant in NJ and never felt in any danger. There is no waste  or pollution other than the spent fuel, which is stored on site. Each plant produces about a half a barrel of spent rods per year.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
Kaz: that is a grand misconception. We had a "scare" at 3 Mile Island, but it never actually had an accident, all the failsafes acted properly and nothing happened. The facility was not even evacuated! So far, Chernobyl is the only nuclear accident the world has ever had. France powers it's entire country with nuclear power, and Russia uses it for quite a bit as well. Here in the US, we currently have around 30 nuclear plants still operating, and about 100 that got too old and were decommissioned instead of being upgraded (because of the silly "nuclear fear"). I lived near a plant in NJ and never felt in any danger. There is no waste  or pollution other than the spent fuel, which is stored on site. Each plant produces about a half a barrel of spent rods per year.

There's actually company called Hyperion, that's going to start selling mini nuclear reactors that can fuel 20,000 homes, and after about 5 years produces waste the size of a softball. It has no moving parts (which means it can't explode), and is to be encased in concrete and buried.

relevant link here
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
thats just.....  awesome...   and something like that would have a ripple effect of securing the power grid as well.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 02, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »
It's funny that you guys are talking about nuclear energy, because I was just talking to my grandma last night about thinking of taking a nuclear engineering class to see if I liked it. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #461 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »
It's funny that you guys are talking about nuclear energy, because I was just talking to my grandma last night about thinking of taking a nuclear engineering class to see if I liked it. xD

That's because we're spying on you. All of us. We take it in shifts.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 03, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »
That's because we're spying on you. All of us. We take it in shifts.
Jeez, say that on somebody else's shift! He looked right at me today! >.>  <.<

Also, nukular.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 03, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »
I hate it when people pronounce it like that.  It's nu-clear!  ROFL.

That was you in the bush? ha ha!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:50 PM »
That was you in the bush? ha ha!
I didn't read that carefully and thought this was a reference to Bush constantly saying nukular.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!