Author Topic: I would like to announce!  (Read 110847 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to announce!
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »
High school.

OK, I'm just gonna step out of my usual bubble of modesty ( ;)) and say that to be valedictorian at my school is actually an incredible achievement.…And the kid who got it is a genius (literally).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
Your point? I have a friend with an IQ of around 165 and 3 family members who are above 144 which is the genius mark, one of them being my eldest brother of course all my family members who are that bright are bipolar of have some other mental disorder but big whoop work ethic is what matters in the long run... that and only that
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »
There's a new valedictorian every year. Doesn't sound very incredible to me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 30, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »
There's also a new president every four (or sometimes eight) years. Are you saying becoming president isn't an achievement?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #364 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »
There's also a new president every four (or sometimes eight) years. Are you saying becoming president isn't an achievement?
There's (at most) one new president of the USA every four years, but there are many thousands of valedictorians in the USA per year. The HS I went to had classes of about 500 (not excluding those who dropped out at some point), and over 1% of those students were valedictorians. I knew all seven of my valedictorians. Three of them had ACTs 24 or below, two bridged the gap to 30, and the other two had scores of 33 and 34. Only one even took the SAT (the 34 genius boy). Needless to say, this was a public school. The number of people who could have been valedictorians at your school is probably much lower (than even the national average). I think. You're going to a somewhat prestigious private school, right?

My school district should not be one to judge by, though. Teachers can get fired for giving an "A student" an A- if the kid's parents whine enough. I don't expect most public schools to be quite that bad.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:03 PM »
Also, valedictorians know like a year ahead of time whether they're going to have the credits to make it, and they tend to get straight As, so it's no surprise when it happens.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 30, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
You're going to a somewhat prestigious private school, right?
There's no 'somewhat' in any description of my school. And I'm not exaggerating.

they tend to get straight As, so it's no surprise when it happens.
Many people get As.

NB: GPAs are not computed at my school (at least publicly), so I'm pretty sure the way of determining each class's valedictorian is a bit different than normal schools.

This has been taken way, way too far, and way too seriously. My original post simply statement that my good friend's brother had become valedictorian, he is an extremely bright person, and I thought it was cool. That's it. I wasn't even saying what an accomplishment that is; I only mentioned that when everyone blew up at a simple comment. So chill.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
How do they determine who the valedictorian is? Also, what is the size of the graduating class? If it's a prestigious private school, I assume the graduating class size is relatively small, so each student has a higher chance of being the valedictorian than at a school with 500 in the graduating class.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
If it's a prestigious private school, I assume the graduating class size is relatively small, so each student has a higher chance of being the valedictorian than at a school with 500 in the graduating class.
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is if you step back to look at the larger picture, you get two numbers: the number of kids going to a public school with 500 kids in the graduating class, and the number of kids that apply to the small, prestigious private school that attend. Since the choice of valedictorian is made mostly (or only) on academic success, it is fair to say that if a student was of valedictorian quality, they would make it into the school. And so, to become valedictorian, you not only have to succeed further than your fellow classmates, but also those that applied to your school.

I realize that this line of reasoning is a slight generalization, but I think it is fairly reliable.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 31, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
It all depends on the school. For instance, at my school, I'm ranked around the middle. However, if I went to a certain other school in my district, I would most likely be top 10%.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
My uncle was like 3rd in his class at Saint Marks Academey in Dallas and i could care less... and there are few schools prep included (& i believe it is a prep school) that are as prestigous as it...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
Frankly, Kaz, I have no idea what the point of that post was, besides to state how "prestigous" you think your uncle's school was.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 01, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
The point is no one cares... not to mention it wasn't even you or even a family member the whole discussion isn't worth a darn thing... and i don't think Saint Marks is prestigous it is. Probably more so than whatever you attend however that is irrelavant

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 01, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
The whole discussion isn't worth a darn thing
EXACTLY. Little hypocrite?if it isn't 'worth a darn thing' then why are you continuing it?? Also?if you're point is that no one cares, why'd you say that you 'could care less?'

You completely missed that. You're spelling prestigious wrong. And irrelevant, too.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
If the discussion is pointless, then so is the argument I see stirring here.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?