Author Topic: review: The Dark Knight  (Read 7901 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
That is about what I would have written if I had a logical thought in my head after that movie.  My husband and I loved it, and both agree it was a masterful performance by Heath Ledger. However, our kids will not be allowed to watch it. It is too dark, and the pencil thing would definitely get tried, they are only eight and five years old, and both are boys.

Thanks for keeping the reviews up Nessa :) And thanks for writing them you guys :D

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
This movie looks so good, but I know it is too dark for me. Scary stuff gives me nightmares.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »
I love how when I post my review no one comments, but when Nessa posts it everyone talks about it.

:D ha ha.  :P
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »
Ha!  Gotta love the pencil.  Definitely not for kids, but man that was funny.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
I thought this movie was really well done.  Usually super-hero movies don't stand out as pieces of film, but just within their own genre (not unlike comedies).  I think Iron Man is a good recent example of this--Iron Man was a very entertaining film, and very good inside of it's own genre, but it still followed the same basic path that almost all of its predecessors took.

These new Batmen movies, though, can be compared to other well made movies on more than one level.  The plot of The Dark Knight stands out as intricate and dynamic; the acting was masterful from both the antagonist and protagonist, as well as most the more minor players; the directing was also very well done, often giving the appearance of violence without actually showing violence/gore on screen.

Unlike most super hero movies, which have appeal as "summer movies", which are notoriously made for profit--to be big smashes but not timeless films, I thought this movie showed an appeal as a piece of art as well as a piece of entertainment.  I guess the question here is how many more solid films can we expect out of this series before they drop the ball for profit?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »
This movie was simply "amazintastic" to quote miyabi. I dont even remember the old movies anymore. Well maybe the ones with Keaton as Batman but not those other ones. The later Batman movies got Chris O'Donneled pretty badly and they had no hope.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:20:37 AM »
This movie was simply "amazintastic" to quote miyabi. I dont even remember the old movies anymore. Well maybe the ones with Keaton as Batman but not those other ones. The later Batman movies got Chris O'Donneled pretty badly and they had no hope.
I'm glad my neologistic vernaculars are catching on.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 02:43:02 AM »
Gorgon, I sincerely hope that they do not ever drop the ball on the new way they are doing these Batman  movies. They are doing so well with them, and they are making a ton of money to boot. So, hopefully that will encourage them to continue to make good movies that will also make them a lot of money, instead of worrying about the money part first.

Sigyn, I know what you mean about scary stuff giving you nightmares, I am the same way. When I watched Sweeney Todd I had to watch two hours of cartoons after to get that movie out of my head enough for good sleep. But, with this one I only watched about an hour and a half of cartoons after. It is kind of my own "rating" system for scary movies. How many cartoons will this movie take for me to be able to sleep later? ;)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
lol thats one way, although i normally just end up reading a lot before i go to sleep. Not that i don't do that anyways....
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 11:29:06 PM »
Sometimes what I read isn't any help at all ;) So, cartoons it is :D

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
The Dark Knight is brilliantly done and imparts a powerful message, however it's very dark both visually and psychologically...when I think about movies I'm going to watch over and over again it's not on the list.  For that I'd rather watch Iron Man.  :)
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
Ironman was too typical of a superhero movie.  There was nothing SPECIAL about it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »
The Dark Knight is brilliantly done and imparts a powerful message, however it's very dark both visually and psychologically...when I think about movies I'm going to watch over and over again it's not on the list.  For that I'd rather watch Iron Man.  :)

Yeah Dark Knight is not just something you pop in for a couple hours on a lazy weekend. Its message and theme is incredibly deep and its something you want to be prepared for. Iron man is also a very good movie, but it is not hardly dark at all. It does incorporate the real world and real life situations such as Iraq but for the most part it is just superhero fun  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
I am not sure if anyone I know was expecting this movie to be quite this deep and dark. Overall that gave the whole thing a great experience to come away from. There were things about the movie that definitely made me less than thrilled that they happened. However, the one thing that keeps on ringing in my brain when I think back to this movie is what I said after we walked out of the theater, "Apparenly Heath Ledger was in that film...not really sure where though."
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.