Author Topic: This week at Worldcon: "Rolling up the Wheel of Time" panel with Sanderson, etc.  (Read 10744 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Yeah, the version of The Count of Monte Cristo that I read was 1600 pages.  It was a little too big to comfortably read in bed, though.
~금강산도 식후경~

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
I have a Shakespearean collection (one book) that's 1263 pages, but it doesn't even feel as durable (thinner pages, and I've had the binding break quickly on one of those). Like when they print Bibles; those pages rip easy.

]Accident[

• Level 1
    • View Profile
This is the Pattern at work. I began telling people after The Path of Daggers, when the title for Winter's Heart was first announced, that the Wheel of Time would take thirteen volumes. After Crossroads of Twilight was released and RJ repeatedly stated during interviews that he would take no more than two more volumes to complete the series, I worried that he was resisting the tug of the Pattern.

Given how significant the number thirteen is throughout, once the story reached nine volumes it was clear to me that the Pattern would demand thirteen.

Of course, that and $4.29 at Starbucks...
The preceding message posted entirely by ]Accident[, intentionally.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
This is the Pattern at work...yada...yada...yada

Agreed. The Wheel turns as the Wheel wills.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
1. Two books won't be two self containing stories. That is not possible. RJ said it himself.
2. Plus how would they name it? A memory of light A, A memory of ligt B? or A memory of Light and Tarmon Gaidon?
Whatever it will be it's not something that RJ choice and that is way important.
3. Going against the author wishes while it could be publised as one book. Very disrespectfull.

They can split it into part 1 and part 2 like Tad William's did with To Green Angel Tower, which was a great book. I'd like to see them use the cool reverse cover art thing they did too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:07:17 AM by yakumo fujii »

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
I don't mind a split and a collector's edition; however, being a WOT nut I am going to want the collector's edition plus I will want, at least, the dust jackets of the two volumes.  I doubt nuts like me will be able to be satisifed (without buying the two volumes also).

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Splitting it in two is a bad idea. Keep it as one and everyone will be happy, and RJ won't be turning over in his grave.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:00:29 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for that Ookla. I appreciate the time and work that went into getting all of that information to us. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
yes thank you greatly. Its good to have an inside man  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Wow, that was amazing to read.  Thanks for taking the effort to type that up for us.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

terrible tuesday

• Level 1
    • View Profile
 :D Thanks so much for getting all of that together, that must have took awhile.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
My report is posted:

http://peterahlstrom.blogspot.com/2008/08/rolling-up-wheel-of-time-panel.html

(I'm Peter Ahlstrom.)
Spoiler Alert
When talking about viewpoint clusters, Brandon mentioned a "Perrin Faile and Galad" cluster, so, we know where Galad is going.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:08:16 PM by Rhuan »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Well, if you read KoD paying attention to geography, they were basically in the same spot at the end of the book.

Not that I realized it myself until Brandon told me at lunch in May. But this info is not a surprise to most of the hardcore fans on the other forums.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!