Author Topic: This week at Worldcon: "Rolling up the Wheel of Time" panel with Sanderson, etc.  (Read 10756 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Bumpity bump.
Just curious if any podcasts have been released, any notes, etc.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
If it's 2k+ pages will it still come with a carrying case!?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone did record it, but I took copious notes. They will take a while to type up, though, and I have some other things to do first.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone did record it, but I took copious notes. They will take a while to type up, though, and I have some other things to do first.
Copious is such a wonderful word. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Isabel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Ookla: if possible can you tell us a bit about what the publisher said during the panel. Especially regarding  one book - two books?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
Yes. I'll go into more detail in the report, but Tom is dubious the book won't end up being split into two volumes. It sounds like the probability is high of a part-1-October/part-2-November release, with the possibility of a collectors-quality special edition single volume. However, no one will know for sure until the book is done. Brandon is just under 200,000 words and told Tom the book is 1/3 done, but it's possible the other viewpoints will end up shorter than currently estimated.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Isabel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Yes. I'll go into more detail in the report, but Tom is dubious the book won't end up being split into two volumes. It sounds like the probability is high of a part-1-October/part-2-November release, with the possibility of a collectors-quality special edition single volume. However, no one will know for sure until the book is done. Brandon is just under 200,000 words and told Tom the book is 1/3 done, but it's possible the other viewpoints will end up shorter than currently estimated.

My conclusion: Tor doesn't care a bit about what RJ said. They don't have any respect for his wishes and just want to make some extra bugs. The shadow rising is almost 700 pages in hardcover and it's 400.000 words. So a 600.000 words book based on how they published book 4 would be about a 1000 pages.  That's possible to publish: See a Storm of Swords by GRRM. If they are not considering doing that, than my only conclusion is the money. 3 books make a lot of money. (part A+B +collecters item)

Especially if they publish them a month apart. Nothing more than money making. No reason not to bring them out at the same time to respect RJ's wishes.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:24:18 PM by Isabel »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
Actually, there is a good reason not to put them out at the same time: Bookstores would have a much easier time stocking two books in different months than two books at the same time. They only have so much shelf and display space they can use at a time, and twice as many copies of one book in one month and another book in another month makes it easier for people to find the book and buy it.

I'm not saying it's the best or only decision to make, but the needs of bookstores is a valid consideration that fans may not be aware of.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:52:03 PM by Ookla The Mok »

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
If it comes down to seperating the book or trimming content, the choice is pretty clear. Besides, if Brandon does his job like I think he can, seperating the books won't even be an issue; it will seem like two seperate books rather than two halves of a single book. I'll wait until they hit the shelves before I form my opinion either way.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Pesonnally, it doesn't matter to me.  I'll buy both, then the collector's edition and give the individual volumes as gifts.  by the way, thanks Ookla for taking the time to ask our questions for us.  I look forward to your report.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Did they say anything about a movie?
~금강산도 식후경~

Isabel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
1. Two books won't be two self containing stories. That is not possible. RJ said it himself.
2. Plus how would they name it? A memory of light A, A memory of ligt B? or A memory of Light and Tarmon Gaidon?
Whatever it will be it's not something that RJ choice and that is way important.
3. Going against the author wishes while it could be publised as one book. Very disrespectfull.

4. I frankly don't care about the stores. how will they advertise for it: Buy now part one, not the full story, it will leave you hanging and than in a month buy the other small half. 60 bucks for two books.

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
I don't mind two books, I just mind paying for two books  :(

And about the collector's edition, I am sure it would be available no earlier than book 2 so if someone wanted the collector's edititon they would miss out on reading the first book when it was released (unless they buy that too). 

What can you do though? I don't blame Tor and I certainly can not and will not blame RJ, Harriet, and/or Brandon.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
The movie deal was not mentioned or asked about by anyone.

How the split would work, if the book does get split, was not mentioned beyond the October/November idea. Brandon is NOT writing it with splitting it in mind. He's writing it as one coherent book.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
To me personally I'd pay a hefty price whether the book came out in one or 100 pieces. Although, Isabel has a good point here and it is that RJ wanted this in one volume and that should be honored. In the end it wouldn't be Brandon that would split it into pieces but the publisher might and the only reason for that is money. Whether to make it fit onto a shelf to save space and therfore money or too get people to buy mulitiple copies. It is alll about the money the story will be able to generate. Sadly in this world it usually does come down to money.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar