Author Topic: This week at Worldcon: "Rolling up the Wheel of Time" panel with Sanderson, etc.  (Read 10738 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
At 10:00 a.m. this Saturday, August 9th, the World Science Fiction Convention in Denver will host the following panel:

449: Rolling up the Wheel of Time
CCC - Room 504
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has been rolling on for quite a few years now. Find out how Jordan wanted to finish the series, who is going to write the ending, and how the publishers are making it happen.
Brandon Sanderson, (m) Moshe Feder, Peter Ahlstrom, Tom Doherty.

I am not sure why they put me on the panel (that's a daunting group to be in!), but I'd like to make the most of it as a sort of representative of the fans who won't be able to be there. So I'm throwing this thread open to questions, of which I'll try to ask as many as possible.

Just a couple ground rules--
  • Please don't suggest a question if you're actually going to be there. There should be plenty of time for the panelists to take audience questions.
  • Please don't bother asking questions to which you already know the answer will be RAFO. Keep in mind that Brandon is pretty much guaranteed to be even less candid than Robert Jordan would have been in this situation.

I'll be paying the most attention to the questions submitted in the next 24 hours, since I'm leaving for Denver on Wednesday morning. As for how you'll get your answers...I'm guessing that at least one podcaster will record the panel, but I'll still take as many notes as I can.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
You should ask if he's going to stick 100% to the concept outlines RJ left behind or if he is going to decide to throw some of it out.

-Getting close to level 40 I see. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
I know the answer to that, but sure, that's a good question to ask. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Sorry if the answer to this question is common knowledge, but it's the only question I really have.

Are all of the relations to the classic arthurian legends on purpose?  If so, what is their purpose?  I don't really see much of the book being a really long twisted version of them, yet so many of the characters have names that are shared with those of the classic (and I mean, like "Le Morte d'Arthur" old.).
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
the only relation to the once and future king that i can think of is Artur Hawkwing. What others did you have in mind?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

terrible tuesday

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Ask Brandon now that he has Jordan's notes, how big is randland, and how much of it we will not ever see.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
the only relation to the once and future king that i can think of is Artur Hawkwing. What others did you have in mind?

Just a few of the ones I can think of off the top of my head are Morgause and Elane -- also known as Arthur's sisters (he had three, but most only know about Morgana or Morgen La Fae).  The Dragon also the symbol of the Pendragons.  Nynaeve is one of the three most widely used names for the lady of the lake (also known as Narcissa, and one other name that starts with "N"), Galad was one of the knights of the round table.  And I don't know about anyone else but he also reminds me of Lancelot or Galahad.

Those are just the ones I can think of right now (yes, most of them are names, but like I said, that's mainly what I wanted to know.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Will the dedication page at the begining be for RJ himself, if so will there be some sort of tribute in the first editions to the original author?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Will Brandon be doing a book tour for AMoL?  And if so, will he make it to the East Coast?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Good one darxbane. It would be sweet if he could hit the northeast.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Will the prologue be released early? If so, is there a date set for the release?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
From what I have seen, you do more than any other author that I have followed in terms of communicating with your fans before, during and after the writing process. What, if anything, can we look forward to you sharing with us while you work to complete this book? Also, will you be doing annotations of the chapters once you are done writing this book?

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
From what I have seen, you do more than any other author that I have followed in terms of communicating with your fans before, during and after the writing process. What, if anything, can we look forward to you sharing with us while you work to complete this book? Also, will you be doing annotations of the chapters once you are done writing this book?

He was asked this at the signing in Denver.

He basically said he isn't going to do the annotations, but he does want to release a much more in depth "the making of" type of book.  He said if it was something he did/could do, it would contain things such as which sections are Jordan's and which are Brandon's.

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
ah thats to bad, I think that reading annotations on chapters that he worked on would be brilliant.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Agreed its too bad, but if he could get the clearance to out out the "behind the scenes" that wouls be great