Author Topic: Z Mgy Zrodzony Br?  (Read 4759 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Z Mgy Zrodzony Br?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 02:05:29 AM »
Thanks for defending me, Andrew.  And by the way, Bantu is a large family of languages spoken throughout Central Africa, one of them being Swahili.  So Bantu peasants are actually more likely to have machetes than axes.  Not that I am making any sort of confession as to what variety of weapons I may or may not possess.  I must say, though, that I'm not familiar with the verb whose present participle is "stabing".  Spellcheck is your friend. ;)

And Dangerbutton, I have absolutely no knowledge of Hungarian, so your guess is safe from my sneers at least.

EDIT 1: I've done a little research, and I believe the title is Polish.  An online translator tells me that "Z" can be any number of prepositions (of, with, from, down, out of, for, through, in, along, at...) and "Zrodzony" means "born".  The translator doesn't recognize "Mgy" or "Br", but my conjecture is that one of them means "mist", probably "Mgy".  Thus the first three words would translate "Of [the] mist born" or "From [the] mist born" or "With [the] mist born", etc.  I have no idea what "Br" might mean; possibly it's an abbreviation for the type of book.  Of course, this is all conjecture, since I know as little Polish as I do Hungarian.

EDIT 2: I've done a little more research, this time at the library.  According to the Cambridge Klett Concise Polish-English Dictionary:
"z" has a million translations, several of which I gave above.
"mgy" is not to be found, but "mgla" (with a line through the L) means "fog, mist" so I can only assume "mgy" is some form of that same word.
"zrodzony" is the perfect form of the verb "rodzic" (with an acute accent over the C), which means "to give birth to, to bear, to give rise to, to arise.
"br." is an abbreviation for "biezacego roku" (with a dot over the Z, and a cedilla under the A), which means "this year".
Thus, "Z Mgy Zrodzony Br." probably means "Mistborn: coming this year."
OK, so now you all know what a nerd I can be about languages. ::)  But I do feel vindicated, and it is a pleasant feeling to have an authoritative answer for SOMETHING relating to Mistborn!   :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:45:36 AM by SarahG »
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 03:39:50 AM »
Yay for translating!

ha ha.

I'm glad we got that all figured out.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »
Yeah, now we know how others nationalities feel when we use english abbreviations.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
Especially when we use something stupid like lbs. for pounds. HA HA!  I know it's derived from Latin, but still, in ENGLISH it makes no sense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
That was completely impressive Sarah.  And here's me thinking that I'll just take a look at the discussion with a line of gobble-de-gook for a title.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:18:57 PM »
Very nice, Sarah...and I must say...
I must say, though, that I'm not familiar with the verb whose present participle is "stabing".  Spellcheck is your friend. ;)

...that always happens to me. Where I point out someone's spelling mistake, then make one myself...yeah.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
So here's a question. How do most of you spell check if at all? I'm aware that I may have substandard spelling abilities and may require spell check from time to time. I've also noticed that this forum doesn't have spell check. So if you want to spell check what do you do copy paste and spell check with another program? That all I can think of and it kinda stinks.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
I usually just use the spell check which is built into Mozilla Firefox. If I want to be double sure, I'll use the Google Toolbar's Spell check. (It's a Firefox Extension.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 04:21:55 AM »
So here's a question. How do most of you spell check if at all? I'm aware that I may have substandard spelling abilities and may require spell check from time to time. I've also noticed that this forum doesn't have spell check. So if you want to spell check what do you do copy paste and spell check with another program? That all I can think of and it kinda stinks.
There ar ea few ways you could manage. 

1 - Use Firefox, it has a built in spell checker. (I use this.)
2 - You can use an add-on to Internet Explorer/Opera/etc.
3 - You could copy and paste into Word, or a similar program.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:06 AM »
Just use Firefox, like it would seem a good portion of us here do. You know it's bad when I have a built in spell check and I still end up spelling stabbing as stabing.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
Ok thanks
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
Quote from: Brandon's Newest Blog post
In the more 'random' category, here is a link to a couple places that have copies of one of my books used for sale...only I have no idea what language they are in, or even if they're really one of my books.  Anyone have a guess what "Z Mgy Zrodzony Br" means?  It says that this is a 'Polish' book, but I thought that my Polish version of Elantris was just named...well, Elantris.

I got a good laugh out of that one.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:37:46 PM »
Quote from: Brandon's Newest Blog post
In the more 'random' category, here is a link to a couple places that have copies of one of my books used for sale...only I have no idea what language they are in, or even if they're really one of my books.  Anyone have a guess what "Z Mgy Zrodzony Br" means?  It says that this is a 'Polish' book, but I thought that my Polish version of Elantris was just named...well, Elantris.

I got a good laugh out of that one.

lol he should have asked SarahG..
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
Yeah, I just got on and noticed that one. It pretty much made my day.