Author Topic: Reviving Ancient Texts  (Read 3157 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Reviving Ancient Texts
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but there are several threads with new responses in here that have gone years in between posts.  I thought EUOL was posting on the site again, only to find out someone posted on a thread he created in 2005.   ::)
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Reviving Ancient Texts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
I was feeling the same way.  And a couple of them seemed extremely stupid posts to do.  Isn't there a rule against reviving old topics without a valid reason?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
its more like bad net-tiqitte. I have been guilty of this more than once i know  :-\
but most people who do so have a decent reason.

although now i see the thread you are talking about. Ignore what i said above. That type of post is useless and childish.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
Oh wow!  I totally didn't even look at the date.  I just posted because it had new posts on it.  I totally thought Brandon was posting again.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »
actually so did i! and i just want to reassure you i was not referring to you.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
actually so did i! and i just want to reassure you i was not referring to you.
Oh I know that.  Haha.  I was simply acquiescing to the point made.  That people doing this is dumb because it causes problems.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
Per forum rules:

Quote from: EUOL
THIRD ITEM:  Don't resurrect old threads.
Newcomers will often scroll through the pages and pages of threads looking for ones that are interesting to them, then post a reply to each one. The result is that dozens of old topics--ones that the forum community is tired of discussing--suddenly pop back to the top of the thread-order. This annoys the established members. I would suggest that rather than looking through old threads, you pay attention to threads that have already been posted on today, and respond to them in an intelligent way. (Note--your post doesn't have to be brilliant to be worthy of posting. If it's your genuine opinion, it has value. Posting an 'intelligent way' means posting in a polite, on-topic manner.)

However there's also this one:

TENTH ITEM: Starting threads.
You are welcome to start new and interesting threads for people to discuss in. However, don't spam here either. Think carefully about your new topic--is it in the right category? Is it something the rest of the forum will be interested in? Is it something that, perhaps, might be better as a single post inside of an already-established thread? (Such as 'cool things found on the internet.)

;D
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »
Per forum rules:

THIRD ITEM:  Don't resurrect old threads.
Newcomers will often scroll through the pages and pages of threads looking for ones that are interesting to them, then post a reply to each one. The result is that dozens of old topics--ones that the forum community is tired of discussing--suddenly pop back to the top of the thread-order. This annoys the established members. I would suggest that rather than looking through old threads, you pay attention to threads that have already been posted on today, and respond to them in an intelligent way. (Note--your post doesn't have to be brilliant to be worthy of posting. If it's your genuine opinion, it has value. Posting an 'intelligent way' means posting in a polite, on-topic manner.)
Yeah but there was nothing genuine about the opinion that was posted that was actually worth anything.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »
Yeah but there was nothing genuine about the opinion that was posted that was actually worth anything.

I know, that's why it broke the first rule. However, the second rule covers this thread. (ie. people could point out that you're not supposed to resurrect old threads in the resurrected threads themselves instead of posting a brand new thread that would push another current topic onto page 2)  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:52:21 AM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
I had thought about that, but I decided to post new because there was more than one old thread that was brought back, and I considered it ironic that I would be adding to the problem by posting in one of those threads.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
Thank you all for voicing something that was bugging me but I was trying to resist complaining about.  However, if we're in criticism mode anyway, may I point out another rule of forum etiquette?

ELEVENTH ITEM: Spelling, punctuation, and l33t.
Okay, here's the thing. Â On other parts of the web, you can get away with doing some annoying things like writing in all caps (shouting, as it's called), ignoring punctuation and capitalization, and writing in what is called 'l33t'. Â I'll warn you now--if you do any of these things, we'll make fun of you. Â Mercilessly. Â

(Note--this hasn't stopped some of the rampant misspellers. Â Nor does it, necessarily, have to stop you. Â However, consider yourself warned. Â We can be pretty harsh. Â Please, just take the few moments longer it requires to do a spellcheck and to use punctuation.)

I know I'm a 31-year-old fogie who needs to get with the times, but it still bothers me when people never use the shift key.  Thanks.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »
Thank you all for voicing something that was bugging me but I was trying to resist complaining about.  However, if we're in criticism mode anyway, may I point out another rule of forum etiquette?

ELEVENTH ITEM: Spelling, punctuation, and l33t.
Okay, here's the thing. Â On other parts of the web, you can get away with doing some annoying things like writing in all caps (shouting, as it's called), ignoring punctuation and capitalization, and writing in what is called 'l33t'. Â I'll warn you now--if you do any of these things, we'll make fun of you. Â Mercilessly. Â

(Note--this hasn't stopped some of the rampant misspellers. Â Nor does it, necessarily, have to stop you. Â However, consider yourself warned. Â We can be pretty harsh. Â Please, just take the few moments longer it requires to do a spellcheck and to use punctuation.)

I know I'm a 31-year-old fogie who needs to get with the times, but it still bothers me when people never use the shift key.  Thanks.
That is actually one of my biggest pet peaves.  I HATE improper grammar and 1337.  If you're in a chatroom go ahead, but these are FORUMS and we have some level of literacy here.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
That is actually one of my biggest pet peaves.  I HATE improper grammar and 1337.  If you're in a chatroom go ahead, but these are FORUMS and we have some level of literacy here.

You mean pet peeves?   :)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
;)

Haha.

Thanks for noticing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
On a side note this actually belongs in the 'Rants and Stuff' board . . . so yeah, Skar, Spriggan, EUOL, someone, could we get it moved please.

Thanks.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。