Author Topic: Bastille a librarian agent?  (Read 1867 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Bastille a librarian agent?
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:01:55 AM »
When I first went throught AvsEL I thought maybe Bastille knew so much about Oculators because she had trained to me one, and found out she couldn't, or she studied and learned as much as she could because she knew from the beginning she couldn't, or a third option that she used to have a talent but somehow lost it.

However when I was just rereading the book I had the idea come to me - what if she was actually a lirary agent?  What better way to know your main enemies moves?

Now mind, I haved finished the book, and it's been a while since I read it.  So there might be something said to prove my thoughts wrong.  If not though, I'd love to hear thoughts.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Bastille a librarian agent?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:48 AM »
I actually just ordered the book yesterday and can't wait to get it!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:27 AM »
It's really good.  I remember my first time of reading I drove my litter sister nuts with how often I laughed... that is until she borrowed it, and then she was laughing like I was.  (Mind, I'm 21 (was 20 when I read it) and she's 12, and we both enjoyed it that much.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
However when I was just rereading the book I had the idea come to me - what if she was actually a lirary agent?  What better way to know your main enemies moves?

Hmm, that's an interesting thought.  It does sound like the kind of twist EUOL would come up with.  I'm inclined to believe she's not a traitor, though.  She seems so committed to the Smedrys and so disdainful of Librarians and their rules and misinformation.  Plus, she's very likeable.  If she turned out to be a Librarian, I think that would be too heartwrenching for a children's book, it would be like having the main character's mother kill his dog.  Ooh, now there's a thought - maybe we'll learn in an upcoming sequel that Alcatraz's mother DID kill his dog at some point in his childhood! :)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »

Hmm, that's an interesting thought.  It does sound like the kind of twist EUOL would come up with.  I'm inclined to believe she's not a traitor, though.  She seems so committed to the Smedrys and so disdainful of Librarians and their rules and misinformation.  Plus, she's very likeable.  If she turned out to be a Librarian, I think that would be too heartwrenching for a children's book, it would be like having the main character's mother kill his dog.  Ooh, now there's a thought - maybe we'll learn in an upcoming sequel that Alcatraz's mother DID kill his dog at some point in his childhood! :)
OR!  She COULD be a librarian, but have spent so much time in her escapades on the good side that she ends up changing sides and the Librarians will be like 'come back to us and help us' and she'll be like 'Uhm, NO I don't like you anymore.' xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
I hadn't thought about that one Miyabi.  I like that though... having her be a bad person would just be a bit too cliche.

And sarahg, I got a good laugh out of your comment.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:55 PM »
OR!  She COULD be a librarian, but have spent so much time in her escapades on the good side that she ends up changing sides and the Librarians will be like 'come back to us and help us' and she'll be like 'Uhm, NO I don't like you anymore.' xD

Well if she started out as a Librarian she must have changed her name since then.
He ate my horse.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »
Maybe it's that her parents are now Librarians?  I mean, the comment Ms. Flecher makes about having studied with Al's parents suggests she wasn't always a Librarian... so maybe Bastille's parents/were?

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »
Maybe it's that her parents are now Librarians?  I mean, the comment Ms. Flecher makes about having studied with Al's parents suggests she wasn't always a Librarian... so maybe Bastille's parents/were?

Yes, that could very well be true.  About Ms. Fletcher, though, she actually IS one of Alcatraz's parents, unless I really missed the boat.
He ate my horse.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  For one that's just a bit too cliche, and for antoher she flat out says she studied under them in hopes of becoming an Oculator.  Although I could be wrong.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
Huh, I don't have the book with me to check, but I was sure that it turned out at the end that Ms. Fletcher was Alcatraz's mother.  I thought that was one of the reasons Al's father was willing to let him be raised in Inner Libraria, because at least his mother could watch over him.  I must have misunderstood that whole plot twist.
He ate my horse.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:13 AM »
Nope, you were right.  (Sorry!  I wasn't quite done re-reading it, and I had forgotten that little twist.)  It seems a bit cliche when I think about it, but the way it was written wasn't cliche at all.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Nope, you were right.

Whew, I'm not losing my mind after all!  :-)
He ate my horse.