Author Topic: EUOLogy #20: Sequel Blues  (Read 1660 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
EUOLogy #20: Sequel Blues
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:52:59 AM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1032

Writing is a sequel is dang hard. I couldn't even plot the sequel to my first book, let alone write it.

Of note, I would say that with recent comicbook movies, sequels are almost invariably better than the first movies. This is because (in my opinion) the movies focus more on characters than on plots, and tend to have so many main characters that it takes a whole movie to introduce them. The second is free to build on the foundation of the first, but without the baggage of continuing an established story arc. Too bad most books don't work that way.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: EUOLogy #20: Sequel Blues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 12:42:18 PM »
And why don't they?  Hmmmm?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:35:11 PM »
Because Spriggæn cannot program properly!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 01:39:22 PM »
I can't honestly say I've never worked on a sequel, but I think that all the middle HP books so far have been pretty good. I think the best thing is to have a concrete idea of how long you want the series to be and what you want to include in each book. The hardest I think would be to write a novel without any plan of a sequel, have it do very well, and then have the publishers ask for a sequel. That would be hard if you hadn't planned on it from the beginning and these are the ones that usually aren't that great (this goes for movies as well). If it's in the ultimate plan then it's okay, but if you plan on a stand alone, stick to it. Also, at least you can count on fans who liked the first book to buy it just on that basis alone (RJ did it for like 20 books, so it should be no problem to do it for three--esp. with a strong first and third novel).

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
i could only imagine the difficulty
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:26:19 AM »
actually i have the opposite experience with movie sequels; to me, they focus far too much on the characters to the neglection of the plot. I am not sure if that means i am a shallow, 15-sec-attention-span american kid who needs to watch action movies or what.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!