Author Topic: Warbreaker Cover  (Read 9324 times)

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Cover
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
I like it. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:38:51 AM »
I always thought that it was vivenna on the cover, as she is the one who would be using bioChroma, not siri. That would also explain nightblood. And I think the sword is regular steel, but it's sheath is black.

that would explain it. the sword could be the artists idea of nightblood
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 05:12:06 AM »
I always thought that it was vivenna on the cover, as she is the one who would be using bioChroma, not siri. That would also explain nightblood. And I think the sword is regular steel, but it's sheath is black.

actually, that's reversed.  Nightblood is black, and his sheath is regular steel.  And it does make sense for it to be Viv, but that dress is a bit too revealing for her.  Even by the end it seems she wouldn't wear something with a neckline like that.  (Although, the color is right.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »

actually, that's reversed.  Nightblood is black, and his sheath is regular steel.  And it does make sense for it to be Viv, but that dress is a bit too revealing for her.  Even by the end it seems she wouldn't wear something with a neckline like that. 
you mean, does not?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
Nah, does.  The logic (viv is the one that played with Biocramatics (can't spell, too lazy to look it up) and the one who was around nightblood so much, as well as the simple colors) does suggest it would be Viv, but the neckline is what throws me off.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
I am also confused, and I don't think that sword is Nightblood.  There is no black smoke coming off the blade, and it is way too short.  Nightblood almost drags on the ground when Vasher has it on his belt.  I havent' been able to look at the youtube version though. I have only seen the one posted from last year.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
yes the sword pictured there has no connection to the Nightblood described in Warbreaker, besides the fact that it is sharp and generally used to cut people.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 10:57:17 PM »
As for the question of Siri or Viv, I'm pretty much positive it's Siri.  Her wedding dress is silver and blue.  (I'll post the full discption when I'm not on my phone.  It's too much of a pain.)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
But Siri doesn't use Biochroma, so why would breath be coming out of her?
So definately Vivenna. And yeah, the dress throws me off, but quite honestly, that's such a minor thing for a cover. The breath is the important part and, point blank, Siri doesn't use Biochroma.

--- I really like this cover, either way.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »
Well, even people who don't use BioChroma still have it.  Near the beginning, the doctor who inspected Siri said she had a healthy breath.  Awakeners don't have rainbow-colored breath.  This is clearly an artistic representation of the whole idea of breath being connected to colors.  So I don't think the rainbow breath is a valid argument for the girl being Vivenna; it could just as easily be Siri.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
It would be really great if some higher power would come down and tell us lowly mortals who it is.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
I completely agree.  But they are entirely too fond of keeping secrets, so much so, that they even keep unnecessary secrets like this one!  Either that, or they're just too busy with higher matters. :)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
I completely agree.  But they are entirely too fond of keeping secrets, so much so, that they even keep unnecessary secrets like this one!  Either that, or they're just too busy with higher matters. :)
It's times like these we need our own little Prometheus.  ROFL
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

DanDosSantos

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 03:38:51 AM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Dos Santos.
I am the guy who painted the cover for Brandon's upcoming Warbreaker.

I was browsing through here, and saw that there were a LOT of questions regarding my intentions for this cover.
I figured I would register to answer some of them.

The first thing to remember is that a cover is like a visual montage...
it describes concepts, not just literal depictions.

The girl on the cover is Siri, in her silver and blue wedding gown.
Her hair is white to signify her anxiety before the wedding.

I know Siri does not use her breath, but she still possesses it, and I felt it important to depict since it is such a major element of the story.
I am also aware that it looks like a tongue or ribbon.
The Art Director and I toyed around with it a bit, but a more natural (mist-like) depiction of breath made her look like she was smoking.
So instead, I decided to make it a conceptual design element.
I know not everyone's a fan of it, but it was a personal choice.

The sword is NOT supposed to Nightblood.
The sword was placed there to help reinforce the concept of WAR.
(and as someone suggested, it prevented the cover from looking too romantic)
It's purpose is purely symbolic.

Long story short, the book is beautiful .
It would be near impossible to capture everything I loved about it in a single image.
Instead, a Cover Artist needs to make compromises in order to create an image that captures the ESSENCE of the story (while still making a marketable cover).

For those interested,
I am attaching an alternate sketch that was also considered for the project.
Unfortunately, it never made it past the sketch phase.

Again, you can see how one might handle the THEME of color.
Here I proposed a cover depicting Vashar.
Given the title, it was important to decide WHO I felt the 'Warbreaker' was.
Was it Vashar, Viv, Siri, or even Nightblood?
I read a very early version of the book, and I had only suspicions of the direction it may go in.

Thanks for all the kind comments and criticisms... I appreciate them all.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 03:48:49 AM »
Welcome, Dan. I loved the video, and I think your cover is stunning. It will definitely make the book pop, and that's what marketing is all about.

Beyond that, it's a great painting, and I was very interested to get a peek at your process. You obviously put a lot of thought and work into your art. This sketch is also very cool, but I agree that the other version will appeal to a wider audience.

(Brandon is on his book tour right now—he may still be in his Burbank signing at this minute—so I don't know when he might come here to comment.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:24:20 AM by Boooookla »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!