Author Topic: Prologue for A Memory of Light  (Read 1782 times)

mrod271

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Prologue for A Memory of Light
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
Im starting to hear whispers about a new prologue for a Memory of Light? I know RJ was working on it before he died....any definite word or general idea of when that will be released?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue for A Memory of Light
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »
I know EUOL saif in his blog that there would be a prologue, but I don't remember if he said it was completed or not.  (Although, my brain is telling me the genral impression was that it wasn't.)

Either way he'll would with what was left behind, so I don't think you need to really worry.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:42:08 PM »
what do you mean "prologue?" Do you mean a short story that will be released ahead of the book, as they did with Knife of Dreams? If so that would be cool.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
Any talk of this is premature at this time. Brandon hasn't even sent any partial drafts to Harriet yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mrod271

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
Hardly premature with a 2009 release and its already august. Besides Jordan has completed most of it if not all of it already (at east in rough form) according to previous interviews  and I'm sure there is some sort of plan to release it onto the market in new printings of KOD as a preview after the epilogue (As was done with other paperback books in the series!).  And all of that takes time to enter the market...any prologues wont just be an online release. 

Brandon may not have finished it up yet, but he will have to soon!

Those of us who have waited for every new release since the 90's are just a little too eager to see a piece! lol

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:29:22 PM »
As of two weeks ago, Brandon had still not sent any drafts to Harriet, so there are still no solid plans for the prologue's release.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

schneb

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 05:22:59 AM »
Hardly premature with a 2009 release and its already august. Besides Jordan has completed most of it if not all of it already (at east in rough form) according to previous interviews  and I'm sure there is some sort of plan to release it onto the market in new printings of KOD as a preview after the epilogue (As was done with other paperback books in the series!).  And all of that takes time to enter the market...any prologues wont just be an online release. 

Brandon may not have finished it up yet, but he will have to soon!

Those of us who have waited for every new release since the 90's are just a little too eager to see a piece! lol

Let me paraphrase what Tor has always said about the WoT books.  They'll be released as soon as possible after they're ready.  That being said, I don't believe that Brandon really has much say in whether the prologue gets released early or not.  He's writing this book under contract with Tor and Harriet, so he has less say in the release process than he normally would with one of his other books.  Obviously he can delay it being released by not finishing it, but I don't think he'd do something like that to us.  As for your assertion that since its august already and the book is slated for 2009 that its not premature.  Let me remind you that 2009 != January 1, 2009.  Its scheduled for a Fall release, still more than a year off.  The only deadline before January 1, 2009 is the first draft due at the end of December.  If the prologue got released early, I wouldn't expect to see it before September 2009.

Sure it'd be nice to see something now, but after 16+ years of waiting to see how it would all finish I won't be too terribly upset if I didn't get the prologue a month or two early.