Author Topic: A suggestion . . . . Potentially controversial  (Read 3634 times)

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion . . . . Potentially controversial
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:28 PM »
I wonder if Brandon would be the best author to include a gay character in his story.  I don't know the answer to this, but although he is a great writer he may have no idea how a gay character would operate as opposed to a straight character.  It would be the same as trying to write a novel about the FBI without having any knowledge into it's structure or operations. 

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 08:49:53 PM »
I wonder if Brandon would be the best author to include a gay character in his story.  I don't know the answer to this, but although he is a great writer he may have no idea how a gay character would operate as opposed to a straight character.  It would be the same as trying to write a novel about the FBI without having any knowledge into it's structure or operations. 

He did an amazing job with Vin.  Even though she's a young woman with a very rough upbringing and a paranoid nature (initially).  I'm sure if this was something Brandon did at some point, he would be able to learn what he needed to so that he could make it work.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:22:56 AM »
If you are looking for an author that has characters of all types (including gay), look no further than Orson Scott Card.  He has a couple of books with homosexual characters that aren't just thrown in to be PC.  Their sexuality is a pivotal part of the story line.

Specifically check out Songmaster and his Homecoming series.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »
If you are looking for an author that has characters of all types (including gay), look no further than Orson Scott Card.  He has a couple of books with homosexual characters that aren't just thrown in to be PC.  Their sexuality is a pivotal part of the story line.

Specifically check out Songmaster and his Homecoming series.
I've only read a few of Card's books, but the ones I read I loved.  Thanks for the suggestions.

In any case though, I believe that Brandon would do an amazing job portraying a gay character and their struggle to be accepted, and the political upheavel it can cause.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。