Author Topic: WOT/Moraine's Letter to Thom  (Read 6441 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
WOT/Moraine's Letter to Thom
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »
Ok so recently I have been told to try not to start new threads, instead just read the old threads and you will find alot of your question answered or at least debated. Now this absolutly holds true for any of Brandons original works, but what about Wheel Of Time. I really would like to talk about one of the most anticipated books of our time. Listen i understand the wait for MB3 is hard to deal with, Im aware I became a fan of Brandons because of his selection to Robert Jordans epic series. I would love to have a copy of MB3 in my hand right now but the reality is that i have personaly been waiting for the conclusion to the WOT much longer than I have for MB3 and to add the death of RJ into the mix I thought all hope was lost. Now i find Brandon to be an impressivly competant writer and im excited again about what might happen with WOT.

Ok so now that im done with that ramble. . .  My friend just recently started reading the WOT and he is currently reading Lord of Chaos. He finds it amusing to ask me question about things that he doesnt know yet because he knows i wont ruin it for him. The funny thing is he brought up a question that ive been thinking about for ever. What did Moraine's letter to Thom say? Now dont call me out im a little rusty on the facts but im pretty sure Moraine told Thom that she loved him. Im gonna research it tonight but i want to hear what every one has to say. Its not hard to realize that this is a MB/WARBREAKER forum so lets talk about one of the  biggest books of our time.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: WOT/Moraine's Letter to Thom
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
do you mean the letter in Knife of Dreams? cause im pretty sure it laid out the whole thing. And yes moiraine did love thom.

Also i am not quite sure if this is the right place for past WoT books, threads about AMoL are awesome cause nothing can beat Jordan +  Sanderson, but im not sure  if this is the right forum for Jordan books.

I am so psyched about AMoL though! So much to wrap up in the last book, it'll be a miracle if he can do it in less than a 1000 pages!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:14:44 AM »
Ok your right they did wrap up the letter i knew thats how i was aware of her loving him, i dont agree that wheel of time books souldnt be talked about here. i understand that WOT are jordans books and Brandon doesnt want people to think of this last one as his but the point is he is the author and he does have privilaged information. He is probably one of only a few people who know whats going to happen and has a direct effect on our reading expierience. honestly i dont think theres a better place to talk about it, all of those other WOT forums are years old and ther is nothing new going on. here there are new sanderson fans every day and they are excited about the things hes working on. im sure brandon will soon be converting the new generation of fantasy fans to WOT fans soon enouph. until then your gonna have to realize that this forum will probably change alot when the wheel of time release date starts getting closer. Plus im greedy i like this fan group and this forum and this is the place new info will be released if any ever is so why not talk about it. Brandon was obviously a fan so i dont see why its discraceful he would have similar points of view as many of us

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
I've never had the impression that it was a romantic love.   I've heard speculation that she was gay - look at the prequel where it talks about her being pillow friends with Siuan.

If I remember right RJ said that he would finish in one book - even if it was twice the normal size.  I can't remember where I read that though.  :(

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
I've never had the impression that it was a romantic love.   I've heard speculation that she was gay - look at the prequel where it talks about her being pillow friends with Siuan.

If I remember right RJ said that he would finish in one book - even if it was twice the normal size.  I can't remember where I read that though.  :(

I agree that it was not a romantic love for Thom. RJ confirmed that "pillow friends" is a sexual term in a post on Dragonmount.com.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:30 PM »
Sadly I too heard that RJ said "pillow friends" was not an innocent thing.  However, I am unsure that Moiraine was strictly gay.  I always assumed that the term which was applied more or less meant that they were friends with benefits trying to have a fun time in a bad situation (they were nearly prisoners as Accepted).  However, you raise a good point.  Would it be hard to believe that Moiraine or other Aes Sedai may be gay.  They deal with many "masculine" things that perhaps they come to regard femininity with a certain respect that leads them to have "pillow friends."

Of course that gets into nature vs nurture...

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
It was my understanding that all girls 'experimented' in college, so none of this comes as a suprise to me.

I agree, however, that this might not be the best forum to discuss WoT. I have read the books and been to the other forums and am really only intested in Brandon Sanderson's work on this forum. I understand the thought about Brandon finishing book 12, however I think that great care needs to be taken that discussions are related to Brandon and not just the WoT series in general. I see nothing wrong with discussing Brandon's comments regarding AMoL progress etc. but don't think this is the area to discuss plot points from the Great Hunt (for example) which have been discussed ad nauseum since 1990.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
valid point. i agree that the only part of WoT that should be talked about here should pertain to information given by Brandon, its only right to not only make a new WoT forum out of this place seeing how there are already plenty of those. We myself espescially should give Brandon that amout of respect and leave this forum to HIS works. I was clearly wrong on this point

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
I think that if people want to speculate on AMOL here, that should be fine, seeing as brandon is finishing the book. If they have WOT questions, great. No reason to freak out over it, most of the threads are still Strictly Brandon's work.

That said, if I have WoT questions, I go to Dragonmount and WotMania.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
In Knife of Dreams, Thom showed Mat a letter he had received from Moiraine saying she was not in fact dead, but she could only be brought back in a specific way. Thom, Mat, and one other would need to go to the Tower of Ghenjei, to access the realm of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn. Even then, their mission might not be successful. Mat and Thom did not embark on the journey in book 11. To be successful it is suggested that they will have to "cheat." (The only way to win the Snakes and Foxes board game). The idea to cheat would be to use the Strikers for light, Mat's hidden knives for iron, and Thom's voice as music

Taken from WOT WIKI - my first time there looks like a really great site!

Also from there..

“Pillow friends are not just good friends. Oh, they are that, too, but they also get hot and sweaty together and muss up the sheets something fierce. By the way, pillow friends is a term used in the White Tower. The same relationship between men or women elsewhere would be called something else, depending on the country.”

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »
sick. thats some good research. WOT wiki i guess i am gonna have to check that out for some refreshers on WOT lore.

Jagd

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »
At one time or another, I became aware what "pillow friends" really meant, but I must have missed the part that said Suine and Moraine were. Quite frankly, that bugs me. Moraine never came off that way to me, but in reflection, it doesn't surprise me too much, because RJ made it clear that Lan and her were not physically intimate.

If I remember right, Elaida was pillow friends with... someone, but I forget who. That one didn't surprise me. She would obviously be the man in that relationship. ;)

revile

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
Hey all.   

I was just reading through this cause I'm a crazed WoT fan.  Your not quite right though, she was pillow friends at one time, but also remember when she tells (I beleave matt)  that she knew the name of the person she would marry quicker then... something, I forget the exact reference.  But I'm pritty sure this proves shes not gay.

Edit*  I think it was to Rand now...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:43:27 PM by revile »

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »
Moiraine is talking to Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne when she says she knows the name of the man she is going to marry.  It's in The Shadow Rising.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
Here ya go:

Shadow Rising, CHAPTER: 6 - Doorways

"The slender woman was not at all taken aback. For a long moment she looked levelly at the pair of them, each with an arm around the other. Finally, she said, *"I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband,"* Egwene gaped in surprise.**

After reading through the series twice now it still amazes me how much I've either missed or don't remember. I've read a lot of theories on how it is Thom that she was referring to as the man she will marry. I don't agree with them but it is definately an interesting theory. The fact that she claims to know his face better than anyone of the girls there know their future husband face leads me to believe that it is someone she has had a lot of contact with. So who would that be?
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar