Author Topic: review: The Forbidden Kingdom  (Read 8273 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:43:08 PM by Nessa »

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: The Forbidden Kingdom Review
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »
It is a movie full of cheesy goodness that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Once the submission option from the front page is finally available, I'd prefer you submit them for front page posting and admin (namely, mine) review before posting.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:38:47 AM »
Ah well, in that case I'll probably stop writing my reviews of movies then. I've read other reviews on here and I don't have the skill it takes to write one of such caliber. Sorry for the trouble.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:06:21 PM »
ROFL. If you are willing, I can coach you a bit on our format. For example, you spend a lot of time talking about the plot (which you do nicely), but more analyzing of the story/acting/filming would be welcome to round out the review.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
yes, please if you have a review don't give up, just polish it up and send it in once you can!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
They are right, I didn't plan on ever seeing this movie. I made me think of the tuxedo or something of the sort but your description was good enough to make me  interested.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
Well, I'm glad.  :)

Oh, update on the review, I polished it up a bit and sent it to you Nessa via PM, so hopefully I can start learning how to write these review things the right way.  ;)

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Forbidden Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Forbidden Kingdom. It brought me back to my youth when we would order a ton of take out and then watch the kung-fu theater marathon on cable.
Ah, memories... I am going to have to break out my copies of Enter the Dragon, Fists of Fury, Drunken Master, Once Upon a Time in China and 7 Grand Masters; as well as Band of the Hand, (don't ask me why but I always end up throwing it in as well) then finish it out with Forbidden Kingdom.
Now where did I put that number for our local Chinese joint?

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: review: The Forbidden Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:33 AM »
The fighting was awesome.  The cinematography was awesome.  The story line was awesome.  The end twist was awesome.  The supporting characters were (mostly) awesome.  But that's where the awesomeness ended for me, sadly.

*sigh*

I went into "The Forbidden Kingdom" with too high of expectations unfortunately.  I agree with everything that was said in the review with two exceptions.  One, the Monkey King character I thought was just annoying, and since he was the intro to the movie, well, it didn't help sell me on the rest of the movie.

Next, the main character couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, and I wasn't terribly fond of the character he played, anyway.  No matter how cool Jet Li was, or how beautiful China was portrayed, those two rotten apples spoiled the film for me.  Perhaps it was just that I wasn't in such a good mood when I saw the movie, but I wouldn't give it more than three out of five stars.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot