Author Topic: rewiew: The First Law triology (The Blade Itself/Before They Are Hanged/etc)  (Read 5531 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
http://www.timewastersguide.com/review/1669/The-First-Law-trilogy

No question, it's a well written set of books, but it was rather disturbing.

My favorite character through most of the books was Logan, until halfway through the 3rd book when I began to question his character. He seemed to be trying to change, but in the end he made choices that didn't allow him to, and I wondered if he really wanted to change afterall.

By the end I liked Glokta the best, because he's the one who seems to make the best of everything, more than anyone else. And as someone who spends the whole book doing just awful things, he sort of redeems himself by the end.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:05:23 AM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
lol which of the main characters are cannibals?   :P i dont think ill be picking this one up  :(
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
The bad guys are cannibals, none of the main good guys are.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
This doesn't sound like something I'll be picking up. I like stories where people are better off at the end.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
I had wondered about this series. I know some people that enjoyed it, but based off your review, it doesn't sound like something that I will be picking up.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
I loved the first book.  Bought it along with the second when I saw it in the book store.  Haven't read the second yet though.  I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes.  A lot of people have said that the books are pretty dark.  Hope I can still enjoy them because I've really liked it all so far.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
I loved the first book.  Bought it along with the second when I saw it in the book store.  Haven't read the second yet though.  I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes.  A lot of people have said that the books are pretty dark.  Hope I can still enjoy them because I've really liked it all so far.

So who's your favorite character so far?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
I started this series the other day.  It has a similar feel to Locke Lamora for me - which is a good thing.  The torturer is an amazing character.  Actually so far I am a little bored by Logan.

Most people I have talked to say that Book 2 is much better than 1.  Since I only import Steven Erikson, I wont get The Last Argument of Kings till September when its released stateside.  What I actually found most interesting is that Lou Anders over at Pyr picked this up rather than another publisher.  This really isnt the kind of thing he usually grabs...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
A friend of mine had the 3rd book shipped over, so I can ask him to borrow it for you if you'd like.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
So who's your favorite character so far?

I think that my favorite would have to be the torturer.  For me, his character seemed the most developed and was the most intriguing.  Maybe I'm just in for the torture though.  :)  lol.  Actually been a while since I read the first one, and my brother is currently reading my copy of the second.  Didn't know that the third comes out this September, but am glad to hear it.  More goodness for me to read.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

whitetrash

• Level 2
  • Trailer Park Pimp
    • View Profile
    • Edon Thompson
I love this series Ninfingers is awesome has anyone read the new sereis yet and what do you think of it...

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
While we are on the topic of rampaging cannibals, The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a post-apocalyptic book with alot of them. It won a pullitzer prize a couple of years ago.

Even Oprah liked it. I really liked the book. I heard the movie was not that good. The prose is very rich so it would be hard to keep the same quality on the screen.

Don't let Oprah turn you off to it. It is a very good book. It is basically about a father doing everything he can to protect his young son in the worst possible conditions you can imagine. McCarthy is an interesting writer. He does not use quotes around dialogue. He does it to make it easier to read. You have no trouble understanding that something is dialogue.

This is a book that writers should read since the prose is so rich AND it has a good pace.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
How about we don't practice thread necromancy.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/