Author Topic: Rashek's hatred not misplaced  (Read 9303 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Rashek's hatred not misplaced
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
Some have theorized why Rashek hated Alendi so much. Now with the prologue out I think I can safely state this: Alendi had Hemalurgy, and how he got that was the sacrifice of the stewards. He was a Hemalurgist and that is why Rashek hated him so very much :)
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rashek's hatred not misplaced
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »
i think if it was known that Alendi was slaughtering Keepers none of the Terrismen would have helped him. Also i think Rashek hated him because he was from Khlennium or whatever the city is called.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
Yes, it says in the books that rashek hates the fact that alendi, a Khlennium person, is able to dominate the world while Rashek feels it should be the Terris people. So he's just bitter.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
BUT this idea could go somewhere, say perhaps Rashek knew the way the prophesies had originally been written.  I do not think that Rashek's hatred was misplaced. . . just misunderstood.  I think he felt that this mane would either give up the power, releasing Ruin, or take it and use it to destructive ends, and therefore thought a Terrisman should have the power, because they would use if for the right reasons.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »
Quote from: Brandon, courtesy of Vintage's compilation of Alendi's Logbook
7 – Rashek is a tall man – of course, most of these Terrismen are tall. He is young to receive so much respect from the other packmen. He has charisma, and the women of court would probably describe him as handsome, in a rugged sort of way.

Yet, it amazes me that anyone would give heed to a man who speaks such hatred. He has never seen Khlennium, yet he curses the city. He does not know me, yet I can already see the anger and hostility in his eyes.

11 – It seems Rashek represents a growing faction in Terris culture. A large number of the youths think that their unusual powers should be used for more than just fieldwork, husbandry, and stonecarving. They are rowdy, even violent – far different from the quiet, discerning Terris philosophers and holy men that I have known.

They will have to be watched carefully, these Terrismen. They could be very dangerous, if given the opportunity and the motivation.

27 – I think I’ve finally discovered why Rashek resents me so very much. He does not believe that an outsider such as myself – a foreigner – could possibly be the Hero of Ages. He believes that I have somehow tricked the philosophers, that I wear the piercings of the Hero unjustly.

According to Rashek, only a Terrisman of pure blood should have been chosen as the Hero. Oddly, I find myself even more determined because of his hatred. I must prove to him that I can perform this task.

30 – Most of the Terrismen are not as bad as Rashek. However, I can see that they believe him, to an extent. These are simple men, not philosophers or scholars, and they don’t understand that their own prophecies say the Hero of Ages will be an outsider. They only see what Rashek points out – that they are an ostensibly superior people, and should be “dominant” rather than subservient.

Before such passion and hatred, even good men can be deceived.

36 – I have decided that I am thankful for Rashek’s hatred. It does me well to remember that there are those who abhor me. My place is not to seek popularity or love; my place is to ensure mankind’s survival.

That should adequately support my point.

One more.

Quote from: Brandon, courtesy of Vintage's compilation of Kwaan's Steel Plate
53 I have a young nephew, one Rashek. He hates all of Khlennium with the passion of envious youth. He hates Alendi even more acutely – though the two have never met – for Rashek feels betrayed that one of our oppressors
should have been chosen as the Hero of Ages.

If you guys don't have these compilations yet and want them, pm me and I'll email them to you. They're really interesting.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »
I wasn't arguing against your point, just saying that it might go deeper than it does at face value.

BTW, you should send those to me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
I wasn't arguing against your point, just saying that it might go deeper than it does at face value.

BTW, you should send those to me.

Gotcha. I sent the files.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »
Alendi heard the pulsing of the Well, no? And, assuming that the prologue described the making of a SI we now know that it does require a feruchemist (which could also go on to explain why TLR was wiping out the feruchemists: So ruin could not influence the Inquisitors to make more) there would be no more feruchemists. So, assuming that Alendi hearing the pulsing of the well makes him a Hemalurgist it was, The "oppression" would be the taking of one with feruchemy and sacrificing them to make one from Khlennium a hemalurgist. We know that ruin was influencing the metalminds and the "piercings of the hero" could just refer to whoever had the most piercings and could be most easily influenced by ruin therefore making them the Hero of Ages. Kinda out there but ya never know ;)

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:42:17 AM »
Part of the problem is that (as far as I remember) no one besides Alendi and Vin has felt the pulsings of the well--one reason I think Alendi was actually a/the Hero of Ages.  I think hemalurgy, like allomancy, came out of whatever Rashek did at the well, which I hope is revealed in MB3.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:12:27 AM »
But what if Alendi wasn't the Hero? What if the Hero of Ages was/is actually supposed to be a Terrisman? Kwaan doesn't say whether that part was different or not. It also depended on how long ago Ruin started changing the metalminds.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
Being the hero had basically nothing to do with it. Ruin manipulated it so Alendi fit them "too well" Hemalurgy can be manipulated by ruin, thus hearing the "pulsing" of the well.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
While reading those log book posts, the bit about the hero has to be a terrisman of "pure blood," just jumped out at me for some reason, probably all this talk of blood and hemalurgy eh?

And as for the piercing of the hero, I don't think Alendi used Terrismen sacrifices to get his, I think he was given the piercings BY the terrismen, since they are the ones who know the prophecies, wouldn't they give the piercings of the hero to their chosen hero?
And Rashek thought that a Terrismen should wear the hero piercings so it doesn't make sense that terrismen would be sacrificed for them. 
And further more, there were supposedly no seekers back then, so what was sacrificed to let Alendi hear the thumpings of the well?  PErhaps for such minor hemalurgy (nothing compared to the inquisitors) it doesn't matter who teh blood belongs too, or what.  PErhaps they just needed a goat or something.  I don't think Alendi would appreciate human sacrifice, and he would have mentioned it in the logbook, I also don't think he would have gone along with it.  Nor would the terrismen scholars.  I think there's still something we're missing about the hemalrugy
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
A point. If Rashek is insisting that the HoA has to be someone of Pure Terris Blood, it's possible Kwaan told him. Possible, mind you; Kwaan is the one who said Alendi was the Hero.

I think, in the third book, that Sazed will end up being the HoA that saves the day at the end. Alendi quotes some of the prophesies, and I find it amusing that Sazed fits those descriptions. the headings on Chapters 8 and 21:

He shall defend their ways, yet violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it.

The Hero of Ages shall not be a man, but a force. No nation may claim him, no woman shall keep him, and no king may slay him. He shall belong to none, not even himself.

Crazy idea.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
That does fit very well... Sazed to save the day eh?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »
A point. If Rashek is insisting that the HoA has to be someone of Pure Terris Blood, it's possible Kwaan told him. Possible, mind you; Kwaan is the one who said Alendi was the Hero.

I think, in the third book, that Sazed will end up being the HoA that saves the day at the end. Alendi quotes some of the prophesies, and I find it amusing that Sazed fits those descriptions. the headings on Chapters 8 and 21:

He shall defend their ways, yet violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it.

The Hero of Ages shall not be a man, but a force. No nation may claim him, no woman shall keep him, and no king may slay him. He shall belong to none, not even himself.

Crazy idea.

Not at all.  Have you noticed the many mentions of how tall Sazed is (especially in Mistborn 1)?  It's strongly implied that the original versions of the prophecies (not the ones modified by Ruin to make them fit Vin) predicted his height.
Nature hates being reified.