Author Topic: Hero of Ages Prologue  (Read 17205 times)

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Hero of Ages Prologue
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
I just saw this posted on Brandon's website. Like, woah. Bloody amazing, flipping sweet... pick your adjectives! October cannot come soon enough for me.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Prologue
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
my god that is horrible and disgusting...and yet i am so excited for MB3!!! Also to me it kinda rules out the theories of balance between Preservation and Ruin. Ruin is unquestionably presented as evil, and Preservation as a shield protecting everyone.

Also i just thought of something....if TLR touched Preservation in the Well, why would he create a sect of superhuman warriors who are being controlled by Ruin? perhaps since Ruin was still trapped in the Well it couldnt control the Inquisitors...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »
I don't think the lord ruler fully understood what he was doing, and I think perhaps both Ruin and Preservation are evil in their extremes, and the "good" is the balance between the two.
Well now we know something more about hemalurgy, the spike have to go through the sacrifice (at least the first one does before it enters the body, and the inquisitors are using the keepers as their sacrifices!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »
That is....well, just....wow. I agree...I can't wait for October. I am so glad it is soon :)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
Soon there's months left to wait!  I freaked out so much when I read this, I was going crazy, I'm so excited now that I can hardly sit still!  I've been starved of mistborn for so long (new mistborn)  I can hardly wait!!!!!!!1
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:14 AM »
So, after reading the prologue, I decided to make a list of all the facts I could squeeze out of it.

1. Ruin has control over an Inquisitor's body and almost-total control over their mind, when it is possessing them.
2. It is possible for a Steel Inquisitor to resist Ruin's control over their mind for brief periods of time.
3. There is probably no way to stop Ruin's ability to control an Inquisitor other than death.
4. The wounds caused by an Inquisitor's spikes do not bleed.
5. The spikes give an Inquisitor power.
6. Inquisitors have access to Allomantic abilities. ("Everything was outlined in fine blue Allomantic lines . . . ")
7. Ruin likes to hear his prisoner's scream and enjoys causing pain.
8. Inquisitors have steel spikes through their eyes, and at least one brass spike in their chest.
9. Making (Or possibly just enhancing) an Inquisitor requires killing a sacrifice.
10. Ruin is free, but cannot directly affect the world too much while the other entity (Preservation) is free.
11. Vin freed Ruin, who is now looking for something to increase his power. (Something to seal away Preservation?)
12. The spike used in this ceremony must be driven point-first through the Keeper's heart into the Inquisitor.
13. The Keepers are being interrogated about the Synod, then used as sacrifices.

I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:59 AM »
Don't forget that the spikes are most definitely for hemalurgy, and that Ruin finds Hemalurgy to be fun. I don't know that it's significant that the man was a keeper as far as hemalurgy goes so much as information wise. They just wanted info on the Synod, and then used the keeper as a sacrifice.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »
I figured the Ruin enjoying Hemalurgy part to fit under number seven, so I didn't include it's own point.

I agree that they could very well just be using what they have in terms of prisoners, although it would make sense with the Lord Ruler saying "[Inquisitors] are hard to replace" if they needed a feruchemist to make each new inquisitor. It's not that hard to believe that during his whole rule the Lord Ruler found thirty or so keepers to sacrifice.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:05:17 AM »
That's true. And sorry, I missed number seven or I wouldn't have included that either.

I agree that it's possible that it requires a feruchemist to make an inquisitor. However, I personally (still) think it more likely that he's referring to the fact that you have to get 11 spikes into their bodies without killing them, and apparently going through the correct organs of the sacrifice(s). Sounds fairly difficult. But yes, it is possible.

Thoughts, anyone else?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »
We all seem to connect hemalurgy with allomancy, but could it instead be derived from feruchemy? From Alendi's journal it would seem that feruchemy was the first magic system to exist (it depends on what you think is meant by the hero's piercings) What if feruchemy is related to Preservation, as it deals with conserving existing attributes or memorizing information, but then Ruin created its own twisted version which it called hemalurgy?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:15 AM »
Soon there's months left to wait!  I freaked out so much when I read this, I was going crazy, I'm so excited now that I can hardly sit still!  I've been starved of mistborn for so long (new mistborn)  I can hardly wait!!!!!!!1

Right around 100 days to go... I've started marking them off on my calendar.

That opening line though: "Marsh struggled to kill himself." Woooooow.....
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
I have a feeling that the Inquisitors will play a key roll in the downfall of Ruin.

Side Note:  Brandon is a cruel cruel man to taunt us like this.  He just KNOWS the theories are gonna fly and everyone will argue.  J/K  Although it is mean. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
That's true. And sorry, I missed number seven or I wouldn't have included that either.

I agree that it's possible that it requires a feruchemist to make an inquisitor. However, I personally (still) think it more likely that he's referring to the fact that you have to get 11 spikes into their bodies without killing them, and apparently going through the correct organs of the sacrifice(s). Sounds fairly difficult. But yes, it is possible.

Thoughts, anyone else?

I'm with you on this one and don't think that it requires a feruchemist to make an inquisitor. I think that Marsh and the inquisitors, in the prologue, kidnapped a keeper to question him about what Ruin requires to be completely free. Then after not getting the information needed, Ruin felt a little bloodletting was in order and why not add to the ranks of the inquisitors while said bloodletting ensued.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

wfberkhof

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Wow! What a great action packed way to start the Hero of Ages. I am really pleased that TenSoon's story is continued and hope he gets many more chapters in this book as he's probably my favourite character in the book.

I'm a bit in doubt on wether or not I like Elend as an extremely powerful mistborn, even more powerful than Vin. I liked Elend's vulnerability, which also made Vin more vulnerable. But I guess we'll just have to see how Brandon handles this in the rest of the book.

I almost can't wait till the Hero of Ages comesout. October is still an age away, but  it's still better than October 2009. :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
Wow! What a great action packed way to start the Hero of Ages. I am really pleased that TenSoon's story is continued and hope he gets many more chapters in this book as he's probably my favourite character in the book.
Don't get me wrong, I loved TenSoon, he's my favorite character, but WHERE exactly does it say he will be in the third book?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。