Author Topic: Similarity between warbreaker and dragonsteel  (Read 3069 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Similarity between warbreaker and dragonsteel
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »
i've been reading some of the sample chapters of brandon's unpublished stuff and i couldn't help noticing the similarity between the storyteller that tells Siri about the war and the character of Midius in dragonsteel. both are storytellers who throw dust in the air for dramatic effect, with the difference that Midius has magic involved, but they are similar enough to be taken notice of.  was this kind of storytelling a common enough thing to be able to be in two separate series by the same author without people raising eyebrows?

i was thinking that this was probably more of brandon's cannibalism, and i was wondering whether one of them was going to be sacrificed for the other. i haven't read the latest version of warbreaker so i don't know if this has already happened, but if any alpha readers, or brandon, know...
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Similarity between warbreaker and dragonsteel
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:15:19 AM »
This is actually not cannibalism. It's something Brandon is doing on purpose for reasons unknown. On a related note, Hoid has been showing up in all kinds of places.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
oh really?
please do tell if you can.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »
I can't. (And actually I don't know the reason. I asked Brandon what the heck was up with Hoid, and he said, "These aren't the droids you're looking for," and I said, "These aren't the droids I'm looking for," and he said, "Move along," and I said, "Move along.")
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
curse those jedi mind tricks!!
well, i'll be sure to keep my eyes out for hoid in the future.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »
Hmm, characters that cross over between books and series, that could get interesting.  I always enjoyed when Madeleine L'Engle did that with her characters.  In her case, I thought it made the stories seem more real, like they had an existence outside of the book.  (I also had fun looking for incongruities and chronological inconsistencies.)  It will be fun to see if the same thing happens with Sanderson stories.
He ate my horse.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »
As long as he doesn't get too carried away like I think King did in the Dark Tower series.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Yes, I agree that getting too carried away is a bad thing.

Another cross-over already in print is when Alcatraz's cousin Quentin uses Spook's "wasing" dialect.  I hate that wasing garbage, it makes no linguistic sense.  Why did EUOL have to pick the most annoying detail about Mistborn to carry over?
He ate my horse.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »
As for a flat out cross-over book (like, chracters full on meantioned or appearing outside of their own books) EUOL has said he doesn't plan on it.  (At least, that was his stand when mb1 came out)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »
Who wouldn't love to see the lord ruler show up in AMOL. Thats a battle i would like to see.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:28:38 AM »
Ludicrous. However awesome the battle might be, I don't think there'll be any crossover in that book.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:34:26 PM by Qarlin »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:23:33 PM »
Not gonna happen. Let's nip that speculation in the bud. AMoL is a Wheel of Time book and that's all.

Brandon is perfectly free to scatter little hints and allusions in his own books, but WoT is its own mythos (though Robert Jordan did put a bunch of allusions in earlier books, to be sure) and doesn't need any Sanderson references. Brandon's ego is not that huge.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:40:13 AM »
i didnt think people would take that seriously it was meant as a joke. Brandon has always said that AMOL isnt his book he is just helping to finish it cause RJ cant.That said i always love when authors put in little references about other series they have.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:07:22 AM »
uh, i would haaate! that >:( >:( fortunately i have never come across it (or maybe i am just not observant enough)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!