Author Topic: Writing a book  (Read 1674 times)

Lazarus404

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Writing a book
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
Hey Brandon,

Okay, here's the thing... I want to write a fantasy novel. I know what the plot of my story is, and I know the characters, even if I've not named them yet. I've been planning it for years, but my career in IT has had all my time. I've written a book on programming (Professional haXe and Neko - available on Amazon), but it hasn't sated my book writing needs, so I think it's time to start on my fantasy book and see if I can get it published.

My question to you is, when you knew what story you were going to write for your first book, what sort of preparatory did you do, and how long did it take? What research did you do?

Thanks,
Lee

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a book
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:58:19 AM »
Well,
I'm not Brandon,
but I am a writer.

You should probably have a social class set up in mind,
possibly even written out,
as well as all of the social conflicts,
even small ones between families.

You should also know what governs the people,
how is does their government work,
how much a role does religion play in their life?

You should also know a lot about the time period in which it takes place,
that way you don't cross reference something from the iron age down into the bronze age.

Other stuff would depend on the type of fantasy in which you are writing,
like you should probably know a lot about similar magic systems that are believed in that are near the one you use,
similarities to real world beliefs are very common.

Also,
I don't know what exactly your story is about,
but having small bits here and there that reflect what is going on socially in the real world brings a nice edge to your writing.

Hope this helps.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Lazarus404

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:06:32 PM »
Thanks for the information, that's really valuable. As it happens, I already have the religion, government and magic rules already sorted out, though I have yet to work out much of the history for the main and not so main characters. I don't think much of what I'm doing is new, though it ties in with modern reality far more than most fantasy's of it's type. I'm hoping I'll have something fairly original.

Best,
Lee

imflyer20

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »
It sounds like you are on the right track.

I've written 4 books myself but I'm not published yet (for good reasons), but someday I will be.

What has helped me the most in formulating a novel is to know how it's going to end. If you're antagonist will fall, how? If your story is going to have a huge twist, what kind? More importantly, what state do you want your protagonist to be in when it's all over? You have read and seen many outcomes, so finding one that people haven't done before can be easy if you focus on that, then you can build up to that point.

Then, you want to make a "road map" of sorts. You have to stop and fill up from LA to NY at several junctures. It's in those  "pit stops" that you want to build on your story, characters, and so forth. What happens from LA to Barlow Cali does not have to be set in stone...that part can be your creative venture and room to explore your options.

And lastly...don't right your epic FIRST...unless you know you can master it. I've learned that the hard way. I'm currently rewriting a trilogy that I started 10 years ago because of it.

Good luck and I would be thrilled to read your contribution to the fantasy world.

imflyer20

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
opps, I meant to say Barstow Cali   ;D

Lazarus404

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »
Thanks, that's great advice. I'm certainly going to take it slow. As it happens, I'm still not sure on the ending of the book. I guess I need to do more planning before I take the plung ;)