Author Topic: Lightsong (Blog Post Reference)  (Read 9826 times)

achren99

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lightsong (Blog Post Reference)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »
Lightsong is perfect and his humor always made me laugh/smile.  He was one of my favorites and added SO much to the story/world.  As I said in another thread, the only times I was bored in the book was reading about Vivenna--and I really LIKE her character and I want to like her story more... *Sigh*  But it's to be expected that I won't like all parts of a book--I like her character so that's more than you can expect in some books.

I don't think Lightsong needs to be more rebellious--to me he strikes me as rebellious but in the "I don't want to be a God (but I like all the perks and don't want to go TOO far out of line)" kind of way.  It's been a while since I've read it, though, and that's how I remember him...so I might be a little off.

platypuschutney

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
I actually thought he was balanced quite well, and he was one of my favorite characters in the book. He was a very unique and fun lens through which to reveal the society you had built for this story. I'm personally a bit ambivalent about changing him significantly. 

On the one hand, adding depth or content to his character could be very nice. (I generally feel that the longer/richer a book, the better.) He was fun in that even the reader was never sure about his "real" view on anything, or whether Lightsong even knew his own views. He was a wildcard that nonetheless pushed the story along and played out beautifully in the end. On the other hand, the danger in expanding his narrative (or weighing it more toward certain behaviors like rebelliousness, petulance, etc.) is that the lush uncertainty of his character will diminish.

In short: Just don't make him predictable or too one-sided.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:43:15 PM by platypuschutney »

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
I'll add my voice to others; Lightsong is pretty much my favorite character in that story. I mean, I like Vasher and Nightblood and such. But anyway. I love when he outlines the conversation with Blushweaver before it even happens. Awesome.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
hum...Lightsong. Loved him. One of the things that really disapointed me though is that he turned out to be an accountant. I don't know why, but that was such a letdown...I think you should play up the fact that he gave his life to save the girl, make a tad more of a hero.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mvtassel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Asking this question in this way may not yield a scientific result. Good polling relies on subjects who are representative of a larger population. However, I would never have known about this discussion if I didn't like your writing to begin with.  If I am representative of this group--and the convergence of opinion here so far suggests it's possible--then this poll may have only selected subjects who are already predisposed to like Lightsong. Just a thought...

(What am I saying? Who wouldn't like Lightsong?)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
I hated lightsong.  That little speech he made to the townspeople while standing on the master buffalo?  Horrible.  And the whole, 'I am so conflicted over my abusive father whose love I am stilly trying to earn' thing?  How cliche.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »
Skar, Brandon is asking for feedback on Lightsong's appearances in Warbreaker, not his scenes in Way of Kings.

HINT: Read the Way of Kings reviews on Amazon.com.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:31:09 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 06:02:25 AM »
 :o :o :o
do you mean to tell me that the Way of Kings is a crossover of Warbreaker and Elantris????
That could be the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

i personally really liked lightsong. but like reaves said, i was really sad for him when he found out he wasn't an investigator or whatever. i understand though that that was how you showed how even though he wasn't anything special he could still be a hero and save the day.  it's been a while since i read it, so i don't remember everything. but from what i remember i wouldn't change it at all.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Lazarian

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »
I'm only mirroring what others said really, but I found Lightsong to be rather balanced, and added a lighter side to the novel that mixed in rather well. I think his rebelliousness doesn't really need to be lifted to another level, he works his way up to breaking out of his habits as the rebellious yet rather comfortable god.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
I'll break with the crowd and say that I didn't care for Lightsong.  In general his attempts at humor didn't make me laugh, with the exception of the scene where he sets the squirrel loose on Allmother.  His banter with Blushweaver sounds to me like he's trying too hard, I generally roll my eyes and hope his scenes are over more quickly.  I do mostly like his interactions with Llarimar, and I like the general arc of his character, but his speech patterns are annoying to me.
He ate my horse.

Warwolf

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:23 AM »
I really liked Lightsong the way he is, his witty banter made me chuckle even laugh out loud at times. Changing him to a more responsible "god" would be a mistake I think, as well as pushing him more towards being a clown.

He works for me because I can see through his irreverence at times to the more conflicted being. He does not think he deserves the adulation of the people and so he makes light of the returned. But when push comes to shoves, his worthiness shows.

Please don't change him too much, he is my favorite of Warbreaker and one of my top five characters of all time, up there along with Terry Prachet's Rincewind and G.R.R. Martin's Tyrion Lanister.

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
I personally loved the Lightsong character.  He was one of my favourite parts about the book, and I always looked forward to the chapters about him.  I also think that he might be even more interesting if he was even more rebellious.  But even though I think it may be more interesting.. I don't know if the story needs it.  He seemed pretty perfect the way he was.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:16:44 AM by CrystalKitten »

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 06:12:28 AM »
I liked lightsong.He was ok at the humor but i think it could be a little better.The way he acts is what i liked about him best. He is given anything in the world tht he wants but he still wonders why he deserves it. I think the things we learn about who he really was in the end makes how he became a god and what he does for Susebron even more special.

And on a side note  I may only be a new Brandon fan but when did he right a Septology and where can i get it them if they are real books.

phillips411

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »
Lightsong was my favorite character in this book.  I liked all his jokes it was fun to read his chapters.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »
I loved Lightsong.  He made me think of a kid trying to figure out who he is, and how to grow up.  From petulance to curiosity to outright hilarity, he was great. His relationship with Llarimar was great, and setting the squirrel loose was awesome.  He was my second favorite behind Siri.