Author Topic: Lightsong (Blog Post Reference)  (Read 8394 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Lightsong (Blog Post Reference)
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
A place to post about my blog entry on Friday, June 13th.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lightsong (Blog Post Reference)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
What a coincidence, a couple of us, me included, specifically referred to Lightsong as the reason why we voted for Warbreaker on the favorite Sanderson book poll. I personally loved the character Lightsong. His humor made me chuckle at times and other times outright laugh. His struggle to realize who he really is really makes him an interesting character. I really enjoyed the scenes with him and Blushweaver.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »
I liked Lightsong a lot as well.  I can't remember a scene he was in that was boring.  If anything, I would like to see him even more rebellious, like helping his priests cook, or sending all of them home for the day.  I don't want to take the chance on spoilers, so if a spoiler warning is added I will post more, but overall Lightsong is great as a character.  The humor is great.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »
Lightsong was one of my favorite characters in Warbreaker. I always enjoyed his scenes, if nothing else because it was good to see him acting different than he was expected to. I agree with darx as well, I would like him even better if he did more rebellious type stuff.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

theletterP

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
I enjoyed everything about the Lightsong character.  The witty banter was witty and clever, often downright hilarious.  I enjoyed the development and revelations as the character progressed as well.  From lazy and not caring, to mildly interested, to hero.  He became one of my favorite characters as he grew on more and more through the chapters.

Aojo

• Level 1
  • "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    • View Profile
    • Kicking Cinderblocks
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »
I like Lightsong too.
He made Warbreaker a lot lighter than your other stuff (excluding Alcatraz) and I think it's good to show that you can be a little silly in an otherwise serious work.

I do have one request, and that's that the line "Dead as a squirrel, serious" make it into print.  Because that is the best line EVER.

SexyTurtle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
It's been months since I read Warbreaker, but Lightsong is definitely one of the shining characters in that story. I loved how human he was -- the incredulity he displayed at the state of things, the way he talked to women and his head servant. As long as it isn't taken over the top, I agree that a little more rebelliousness to make him stand out even more against the other gods would fit in very well.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
I really liked Lightsong; his progression as a character was the best of the book imo. If I were the one writing the book, I might have given him a different name but other than that everything else would be the same.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

mvtassel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »
Lightsong adds a great deal to Warbreaker. His interactions with other characters are funny and his outlook on life is refreshing. His banter with Llarimar is my favorite part of this book.

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »
I love the character of Lightsong.  His wit is sly and slightly sardonic without being cutting.  It seems that Lightsong uses humor to distract himself from some of the uncomfortableness he feels in his situation.  I can relate to that, as I often do the same thing.  I think the level of humor is just right for the character.

My personal favorite Lightsong line: "We intend to attack her?"

khigh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
I agree with comments so far, I love the character and his approach to the situation he finds himself in. However, I would think that given the type self-depreciation and witticism he tends to deliver, that he would be more cynical and cutting when frustrated.

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
I really loved Lightsong.  Other than the Vasher chapters, the lightsong chapters were some of my favorites.  I agree with everybody who's said that a little more rebeliousness would be good.  That would truly perfect his character, in my opinion.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
I love Lightsong!!!  In fact, the first time I read the book through I almost wanted a triangle thing going on with him Siri and Sub (that is until Sub and Siri started to interact, and then they were perfect for each other).  I could see him being a little bit more rebellious with maybe considering going through one of the tunnels he finds (It was him, right?  I've been lazy, and haven't gotten around to re-reading the new version, so some details are fuzzy.) or even attempting to.  But other than that, I think he's great, and needs no change.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

zoondel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

This is my first time posting on this forum (or any forum of this type), so bear with me.

I love that you're asking for reader feedback! In fact, I'd begun compiling some notes on Warbreaker as soon as I finished reading it (version 4.2).

I agree that Lightsong proves wonderfully entertaining as comic relief, but I think he's something of a flat character until he starts getting involved in court politics.  The banter with Llarimar and Blushweaver are great, but perhaps a little too glib too much of the time?  I also think that his consistent rejection of Blushweaver's advances makes him seem less human - even if that is intentional early on in the story (since he's a god after all), he seems to gain pleasure from eating, why not sex?

Temujin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
I have only read the 16 or so chapters of version 4.0. I like Lightsong so far I don't think there needs to be much change in the charater. I don't think you have gone over the top with his personality. His interactions with other characters always make me smile.
WH40K