Author Topic: Brandon's new paperback releases  (Read 7615 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Brandon's new paperback releases
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
Has anyone picked these up yet?  I stopped by the local Borders to try and grab them.  The computer said they had 9 MB2 and 6 of MB1 in stock, but no one was able to find them anywhere.  They had 2 copies of the old MB1 paperback, but none of the new ones.  We also checked the new paperback releases sections and wandered around the store looking for a display.  No luck.  That makes the 3rd time I've gone to that Borders looking for Brandon's books and returned empty handed.  I don't think I'll be going back there for anything.  I ordered 2 copies off amazon yesterday, but it looks like they might take a few days to ship.  Does anyone know if those will still count towards the first week sales numbers?

I know they have new cover art but is anything else different?  There were some mistakes made in MB1 that made it into the hardcover and first paperback version, does anyone know if they have been fixed in this version?  Anything else about them that's different?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:34:03 PM by Phaz »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Brandon's new paperback releases
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
I would think that it does count for the first week's sales, because you paid the money with a credit card (thus making the transaction). The only thing that doesn't happen on the first week is the shipping!

I bought my two on Amazon as well. I recommend others to get them as well... they make great Father's Day presents, as well as Christmas in June presents!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
I would think that it does count for the first week's sales, because you paid the money with a credit card (thus making the transaction). The only thing that doesn't happen on the first week is the shipping!

Well, I don't know.  Sometimes when I've ordered things online, my credit card is not charged until the day that the order is shipped.  So my guess is that it would depend on which day Amazon ships them to you - if "a few days" is still within the week, the purchase would count as first week sales, even if you don't actually receive the books until after the first week.
He ate my horse.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
I checked both my local Borders and Barnes and Noble locations on Tuesday with no luck. In fact, they had no Brandon Sanderson novels at Barnes and Noble at all.

I checked their website the next day, and it said they had the Well of Ascension paperback in stock, so I went back. They didn't have any displays, nor were they in with all the other new paperbacks. But there was a nice whole in sci-fi/fantasy section where they had made room for WoA. There must have been space for about 8 or 9 copies, and I got the very last one.

I made a polite suggestion at the customer service desk that they should stock some more of them.  ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
I must be the lucky one then.At my borders there was a huge shelf set up in front of the fiction section with rows of MB2.
It had a nice poster of the mb2 cover hanging from the top and everything.I didnt look for the the MB1 because i only had 10$ on me at the time.Ill go look for it this weekend.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:38 PM »
I don't suppose you took a picture of the display? >_>
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:25 AM »
Yeah, I wanna see this "mystical display" EUOL blogged about too.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
The Borders I was at had about 7 copies of the new MB1 and about 10 copies of MB2.  I was quite suprised.  Previously I would find maybe two MB1 with the old cover.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »
For the people who did find them at Borders, where were they?   Just in the fantasy/sci fi section or "new paperback release" or a separate display?

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a paperback to go on Amazon's 4 for 3 sale? I want to help Brandon's first week sales numbers, but I wanted to do this sale as well, since I have other things I want too, but I don't know how long I'll have to wait.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
Hmm, I have no clue.

BUT I was miffed when Amazon.com wouldn't load earlier today. I was going to put in my order (using the nifty gift card my bros gave me for my b-day). But the site had some kind of error. Very surprising for a juggernaut like Amazon!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
Be careful.  I had that problem before, and come to find out it was a virus. We ended up having to call our virus scan program and have them take over my computer to fix it.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:07:41 AM »
Amazon was actually down earlier today (see Scalzi's blog), so it's probably not a virus this time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
Hey, they actually had two of the new paperback WoA at B. Dalton. Which is nice, since when the hardback came out I had to special order it, because there wasn't a single copy in my city  :-\

BloodlessVictory

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Portalstones.com
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 04:21:55 AM »
I grabbed both new releases today.

Out here in podunk, Kansas (read: anywhere but Topeka, Lawrence, Kansas City, or Wichita), there's a serious dearth of real bookstores (Borders, B&N, even Half-Price Books - none).

Tried the skimpy mall Waldenbooks, which only had 1 old-version Final Empire paperback and one Elantris.  I was worried, but apparently Hastings recognizes Brandon's appeal, because they had several copies of WoA and the new FE.

I don't rush to buy books very often, but on the strength of my reading of FE, Brandon is worth the show of selling power.