Author Topic: What happened to Kiin?  (Read 2135 times)

Rane

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
What happened to Kiin?
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:09 AM »
I just finished reading Elantris for my second time, and I realized that, although Sarene keeps thinking she'll ask Kiin what happened to his voice, she never gets around to it.  This might be mentioned in the ebook on Amazon, but I haven't read it.  Does anybody know?

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Kiin?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:11:43 AM »
As far as I know, this is just one of those backstories that add depth to the character and EUOL hasn't told the story (if it has been fleshed out) yet.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »
I thought it had something to do with the fact that he was the pirate.  I swear they explain it (I think it was something along the lines of in one of the attacks his wind pipe got crushed...)  Maybe I'm crossing my series though.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:29:06 PM »
Page 448 of the hardcover (spoiler):
Sarene knew of only one person who had used Aon Reo, though he was more a myth than a man. “They called him Dreok,” she whispered. “The pirate Crushthroat.”
“That was always a mistake,” Kiin said in his raspy voice. “The true name was Dreok Crushedthroat.”
“He tried to steal the throne of Teod from my father,” Sarene said, looking up into Kiin’s eyes.
“No,” Kiin said, turning away. “Dreok wanted what belonged to him. He tried to take back the throne that his younger brother, Eventeo, stole—stole right from under Dreok’s nose while he foolishly wasted his life on pleasure trips.”
It never says how his throat got crushed though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:06:56 AM »
Ook, do you know the back story behind how?  Or is that one of those things that authors write in, but never bother to figure out the back story?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:20:07 AM »
No, I don't know anything beyond what's already in this thread. Brandon may know exactly how his throat got crushed, but do we really need to know? If everything gets explained, that takes away somewhat from the sense of wonder. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:24:55 AM »
Very true, that.