Author Topic: New to this site  (Read 2372 times)

Solfire

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
New to this site
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »
Hi I'm new to this site and was wondering if posting a sample chapter from a book I've been working on is acceptable or if there is another site of which I could hash out ideas and receive honest feedback? Thanks for any help you can offer.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: New to this site
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
That is an acceptable practice, though depending on the prevailing mood, people may or may not respond to it.

There are inherant dangers in posting any writing on the Internet, however. If you are well known, like EUOL, there's less serious danger in your work being plagierized, at least successfully, but unknowns always run that risk.

I only post that as a warning, not as a means to say don't do it. People will read and it's *likely* someone will read it and give some feedback. However, I do recommend finding a small group of people to do this with regularly. It's more consistant, keeps you obligated to write, lets you read the writing of others, and incurs less risk.

Solfire

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:59 PM »
Thank you for the information. I read on the faq about the Abridged Speculists group but the link does not work for me is this the type of group you are talking about? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your time.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »
it is, but I i believe they're closed. Or else disbanded. If the former, they changed their name. If the latter, some of them formed a new one.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
Also, try out SFFmuse. There's a bunch of writers on there who post their work for others to read. There's plenty of places to discuss other topics as well. I'm not sure if you have to be invited to join or what, but give it a try and let me know.

SFFmuse is also more open about some subject matter and rarely, if ever, offended by any off-collar/non-PC comments/posts. So, don't be afraid of offending anyone there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:35:10 PM by Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo