Poll

Would you be interested in fabricating, or just playing, a Mistborn PnPRPG?

Help make
1 (6.3%)
Play
2 (12.5%)
Both
11 (68.8%)
Not interested
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Mistborn P&P RPG?  (Read 9175 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Mistborn P&P RPG?
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
I haven't heard anything about it from an official source (looked around a little), so I was thinking about making Mistborn rules for the d20 system. Initially I was hoping to gauge people's interest, then start gathering ideas and finally putting a finished product together as a PDF or something. Thoughts?

**Edit**
Added "Both".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:21:21 PM by AvalonDreamer »
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn P&P RPG?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
You forgot to include "interested in both"  ;D so I'm waiting...

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
Totally interested (even though D20 is not my favored system)!  I'd totally be willing to help with this project (I have an interest in it for my RP group).

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:17:26 AM »
Updated to "Interested in both", working on classes. Naturally, I figure we could have Mistings continuously getting stronger in their allomantic ability, but I don't know how to go about doing Mistborn without making it too broken. We don't necessarily have to do d20, but it seems to be the most popular format. More than happy to accept suggestions on every aspect though - I want this as a community project.

**Edit**
Well, yes, I do hope to get Brandon's permission, but since I've not heard that they're putting out their own, and I personally don't plan on using this to make money (heck, Brandon can take it after we're done and put it out as the Mistborn Campaign Setting), I figure we're probably in the clear.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:25:53 PM by AvalonDreamer »
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:05 PM »
Having Euol's authorization would also be a great idea. Are you reading this, Brandon ? At least, I would feel much more comfortable and who knows ! Maybe it could get as big as D&D, Brandon could create books (or at least one) and collect more author's right on this.  ;D

As for Mistborn, there could not be many. And do not forget that before they get stronger in their ability, they first have to escape death before they snap and do become Mist-whatever.

Velinion

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
This sounds very interesting. I would love to help out with it.

Ideally, after the 3rd book is out, Brandon would be willing to publicize further information on the magic systems (eg. What could a Feruchemist store in Malatium? In Electrum? Also, presumably, there are more metals/alloys out there that could be burned by Allomancers that no one knows about.)

Playing as a Feruchemist could be interesting.  In order to fit into a leveling system, the amount of an attribute that could be stored at a given time could grow as that character levels, or additionally/alternatively the rate at which the Feruchemist can use stored attributes.

For Allomancers, burn rate would be a logical thing to increase as the character levels.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
Hmmm... Yeah, we would be more effective if we had all the info contained in MB3, but that doesn't mean we can't get off to a start. I like the idea about having capacities change as each gets higher, which logically makes sense - as an allomancer's body gets more used to having metal in it, it'd be able to stomach more, and feruchemists probably learn over time how to more efficiently pack attributes into a metalmind.

Idea for a new skill: Control (allomantic ability/metal) - represents the combined elements of focus, learning and natural skill. Would be used in place of an attack roll for Coinshots, or would set the overcome DC for a Smoker's coppercloud, etc. Moving larger objects/trying to effect larger areas (such as mass Soothing) would incur penalties such as a -2 for every size larger than small an object is, or every five feet the radius of effect is.

*Evil grin*

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
D20 is going a little fishy with the 4th ed of D&D coming out...

Then too, yes, we're waiting a few months yet on Hero of Ages.

However, yes, I agree that we have some basics that we can devise something in the meantime - rules for use of various known allomantic metals.  Tin, Bronze, and Copper to my mind are simple enough - usable as a skill or proficiency with required rolls and relatively simple to define effects.  Pewter is a bit more complicated with extended drags and high burn rates but I can see some loose rules already.

Soothing and Rioting should probably involve some experience-dependent influence - Kelsier was ultimately the more powerful allomancer but he couldn't match Breeze in terms of emotional allomancy.  Vin also had a good deal of experience with it.

If Brandon Sanderson is ok with our little project items like cost of metals and burn rate could be answered.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »
As you pointed out, Mistborn aren't as powerful in any one area as their Misting counterparts, yet they still have their specialties - I was hoping to rectify this by giving them the first 4 or 5 class abilities from each Misting class, then allowing them to take a "focus" in one area where they gain an additional 2 or 3 class abilities in that area.

I realize that Wizards is mucking up a fine system with the release of 4.0, but since it's not out, and it's looking to suck, I've based all of my notes on 3.0/3.5. I do hope to get a little input from Brandon about this, as I'm a bit confused about a few things too - the costs of metals and burn rates as you said, but also the quantities in which they ingest them, and what the units of measure for the world are.

One of the other things I wanted to do some work on is other races such as Kandra and Koloss, I imagine that playing a Kandra would be easy enough, but Koloss and Mistwraiths would end up as montsers most likely. Another thing I'd like help from Brandon with is what other kinds of creatures exist in his world - farm animals, dangerous beasts, etc.

Pewter - reduces damage, increases STR, DEX, CON, and land speed. Prolonged use inflicts subdual damage after.
Soothing/Rioting - higher level means higher DC to resist, or higher maximum area of effect.
Tin - competency bonus to Reflex saves, pluses to spot, search, listen and survival checks, and rerolls/bonuses against concealment, etc.

New feats and the like would be useful as well...

Input plz? lol.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:07:22 AM by AvalonDreamer »

*Evil grin*

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:16:29 AM »
So far, AvalonDreamer, all of these ideas look like they are coming along very well. Looks Good. :)
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »
1.) Feruchemy ideas:
- Metalminds store a certain number of points in their attribute depending on their size category - i.e. small metalminds store 8 points, medium can store 16 points, etc.
- Reducing an attribute by X points for Y days yields X*Y points stored in a metalmind. Points can be reallocated every 8 hours, and 1 point spent from a metalmind increases the corresponding attribute by 1 point for 24 hours, and can be compounded as much as one would like (i.e. 1 point can increase an attribute by 2 for 12 hours, 3 for 8 hours, etc).

The above assumes that attributes are stored into a metalmind at a 1:1 ratio, but if memory serves, it doesn't quite work that way. Help?

2.) More allomancy ideas:
Smoking v. Seeking: opposing caster level checks (d20 + lvl) determine if Seeker overcomes Coppercloud. If the Seeker wins by more than 2 they can feel what quadrant it's from on the circle, more than five they can tell if it's internal or external as well, and more than 7 allows them to tell what it's acting upon.

Smoking v. Rioting/Soothing: Smoker's will save to resist a emotional allomancy is adjusted by their level, or some other number that increases every few levels.

Ideas on how to deal with Flaring? Or something like Duralumin?

Come on people! Help! ^^ I like doing this, but I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...

*Evil grin*

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
I'm kinda new to P&P rpgs. My brother just got me into them a month  ago so i'm not sure if i can help much but i would love to play a mistborn one. My suggestion would be maybe using the  D&D classes and  converting them to a mistborn class, i.e. tineye=rogue thug=warrior coinshot=ranger and so on.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »
All help is good help. I hadn't actually considered how to go about doing the classes yet (still playing with the core mechanics behind each metal), but that way seems like it'd work. If you want, go through and strip away 6-8 levels worth of class abilities from each, so we can put the Misting abilities in? I think Rogue would go better with Mistborn, though maybe the assassin class from 3.0 would work...

Emailed EUOL about this project and got this reply (didn't expect to hear back for a month at least):

AvalonDreamer,

I'll go have a look at it!

In general, I have no problem with people doing things like this.  It's like fanfic, in a way.  As long as it's not commercial, then I'm not going to slap it down.

You may want to know, however, that I AM in talks with an RPG company to release an official Mistborn RPG.  It wouldn't be out until next year at the earliest, but it would probably use D20 or the Open Gaming thing. (Or whatever it's called with 4.0.)

I'll try to drop in and nudge, but I'm ridiculously busy now with the Wheel of Time book, so I can't promise anything.

As always, thanks for reading!

Best,

Brandon

Working now on how to make some of the less action-oriented Feruchemy things to work. Please people, just grab something, make an idea out of it and toss it up here! ^^

*Evil grin*

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
I like the ideas on Feruchemy so far...The points thing should be based on hours rather than days though, and then you can just increase the number of points a metalmind can hold. Otherwise it just takes a really long time to store up points to use. I would say that for the non-action stuff, much of it is insignificant in an RPG setting. For instance, storing age is useless. Unless you need to fool someone about how old you are for something...not sure why that would be necessary. Copperminds...maybe have someone only able to remember so many skills or something like that and a coppermind increases the number of skills you can remember. I don't know. Maybe have some really cold place where you have to be warm in order to survive which provides a use for brass. Or bronze. Or whatever it is that stores warmth. I'm assuming we're talking about what the metals can be used for, correct? That's all I remember without my books, I'll post more when I get them back.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
You have to be careful, though... especially with that storing age, thing. No other Feruchemist but TLR knew that you could store age in Atium. Atium had been hidden from people just like a lot of other metals as well.

I do not know how you could do it, but you should allow feruchemy to "discover" other metals when experience develop up to a certain level.

I am rereading MB1 and 2 to discover more about Inquisitors. See if there are any mention of metals other than Iron and Steel... That will help you as well. I spoke to a friend... and he says he won't help us unless he can play an Inquisitor  ;D He is crazy ! But Inquisitors have to be thought of for sure.