Author Topic: Written in Steel - Spoilers  (Read 6780 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Written in Steel - Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
OK, assuming Ruin couldn't change the words written in steel, what interest do the Inquisitors have in preserving it?  I wouldn't have thought of them as wishing to safeguard the true history of Alendi, Rashek, and Kwaan over the past millennium.

That is something I've been wondering too. Undoubtedly, that will be a major plot point in Mistborn3.

Ookla brings up a good point, though not the same one as his micro/macro theory. Ruin does not have infinite power in MB2, but it has a lot of it. It is horrifying to think how powerful it is after being freed.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »
Think of hypnosis. It's (supposedly) easy to get people to do the kinds of things they would be willing to do anyway. It's harder to get people to do things that go against their nature. The inquisitors wanted more power anyway, so influencing them to make their power play wouldn't have been hard. But getting them to go melt down a metal plate they don't care about at all and no one has thought about in centuries?

OK, assuming Ruin couldn't change the words written in steel, what interest do the Inquisitors have in preserving it?  I wouldn't have thought of them as wishing to safeguard the true history of Alendi, Rashek, and Kwaan over the past millennium.
What other metal plate have we seen, and who put it there?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 03:58:31 AM »
Wasn't there a metal map in TLR's cache ? I don't have my MB1 with me.

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 05:17:54 AM »
Yeah, Vintage, I am pretty sure that there was a metal map in TLR's cache.
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »
Yes, there was, it had a city circled on it (can't recall name...). I can only guess that something equally important as the original slab lay in that location.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
It was Statlin City, and most of us believe that is where the Atium cache is.  As for the Kwaan plate, I would think TLR would require his special servants are reminded of what really occurred.  He is trying to prevent history from repeating itself, and I am sure there is or was some part of him that wanted to honor Kwaan for figuring out the truth.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »
Somehow, I wonder why TLR would need a metal map to remind himself where he's hiding his own atium. I doubt that very much. But it has to be important enough... If the Well of Ascension had Ruin, could it be its adversarie's center location ? Preservation ? What do we know for sure about Statlin ?

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
That it existed at some time?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »
The city may have some other significance, but since the Atium has not been found yet, it's as good a place as any to assume that it is there.  It's possible that TLR was afraid he may eventually forget things.  He would not trust to use metalminds, nor would he write anything down on paper for the same reason.  Maybe he originally feared his own thoughts could be manipulated, so he etched them in steel to be sure he wouldn't forget.  In any case, it's one of the only ways to get a dead man to talk, so it is convenient for EUOL to put it there as an "oh by the way" clue.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »
Unless the map was not drawn by TLR, of course. Could it not be Kwaan's doing again ? I did wonder quite a bit of time if TLR could not be, in fact, Kwaan. Does Brandon confirms this positively in his annotations ? Because the so-called Rashek never confirmed it was he, and it would then be logical that Kwaan would have left the writings in steel in the cavern, would have kept remembrance of Rashek's possession and also of Alendi's book.

If it interests anyone, I made a comparative table between the actual writing in steel and what Sazed had translated with its different subsequent alteration i.e. the Holy First Witness - just for study purposes though, hey ?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Brandon does confirm that TLR is, in fact, Rashek. 

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »
In my opinion, that would be way TOO much of a twist, for the major twist from MB1 to turn out to be false.  Authors can only throw in so many surprises before their readers start feeling manipulated and betrayed.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »
And Vin sees a packman when whe uses malatium, Kwaan was a holy man, and TLR responded to the name "Rashek.  It was definatly him.

I think there's something important about Statlin City.  At first I thought that that was where the atium was, but the lord ruler carved it into steel, meaning he didn't want Ruin to influence it.  It seems that the cache was kind of a place jsut in case he was de3feated, there was food left to feed the people in cans, and the map.  It seems oddly compassionate of him, but it could be true, couldn't it?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 01:19:09 AM »
Is it possible that Preservation had some effect on him as well? One would think that Preservation would want him to stockpile food and keep the knowledge on the map whole.

*Evil grin*

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »
I don't see why presrvation would care abou the cans or the map.  Because of the nature of presrvation, I think presrvation would be very reluctant to intervene in the world as Ruin does because it would hate change, and be interefering it would be cahnging htings, I think Preservation only intervenes when absolutely necessary to counter Ruin.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier