Author Topic: Rowling Sues over "Harry Potter Lexicon"  (Read 4162 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Rowling Sues over "Harry Potter Lexicon"
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:56:53 AM »
Orson Scott Card had this to say:
Rowling, Lexicon, and Oz

Can you believe that J.K. Rowling is suing a small publisher because she claims their 10,000-copy edition of Harry Potter Lexicon, a book about Rowling's hugely successful novel series, is just a "rearrangement" of her own material.

Rowling "feels like her words were stolen," said lawyer Dan Shallman.

Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling.

A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorized extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world. ...

Thoughts?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: Rowling Sues over "Harry Potter Lexicon"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:03:10 AM »
Wow. Yeah, that sounds about right... Shame on her for trying to steal from one of the most acclaimed authors of our time... Though it does explain why her ending was crap, as Card doesn't really write ending as much as he just stops.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:15:59 AM »
Cool, now retell the plot of The Matrix so it sounds like the New Testament.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:12 AM »
Careful Fell, these things take time, you can't just snap your fingers and expect them to be done.  The plotting and characterization alone will take hours...
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »

And take out all the pleather? I mean, I'm pretty sure such nigh-on unprecedented use of [so much] tacky looking pleather was the most original element of that film.

At least restro sci-fi movies like Attack of the Green slime had cool silver catsuits (and laser guns).
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
Rowling: "Oh now that the series has concluded the mentor to the main character was gay. Just so you know....Oh what do you mean this has caused a mighty stir in the media? Impossible. Oh well now that your all paying attention buy my books. I haven't yet sold enough to buy the galaxy......"

I wouldn't expect anything less from someone as ridiculous as her.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of the point...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »
wait... isn't the Matrix one of the books in the New Testament?

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
wait... isn't the Matrix one of the books in the New Testament?

That would be the Neo Testament, yes.

(sorry, yes, lame and obvious but I had to go there...)
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 04:21:43 AM »
After a point isn't their enough money in your bank account that you can just sit back and be happy...I mean not bother with "The little People". If I was her I'd just let them use anything they want, I mean honestly I'd be so rich I could own all of Europe so who really cares!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.