Author Topic: The "Snapping" Thread  (Read 8025 times)

Isix

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The "Snapping" Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 08:20:44 AM »
I know that it is popular belief that the bead gave Elend the power of Allomancy. But, What if the mist were not the deepness? What if the mist spirit itself was the one who granted Elend the power, And the bead that Elend swallowed was simply just pewter, being that was what he needed to survive. How many times does it say that A mistborns place is in the mist, What if Vin was wrong about the mist being the deepness? It does give a general reason of what mist could do, to destroy the land. But what if mist was the very thing that brought about an allomancer? What if the mist spirit itself was the very enemy of the ruin, The one Who chose, and granted  allomancy. I know this theory has many flaws being that there are evil allomancers, But in truth. Does not every person have the ability to choose what course there lives take, whether good or evil? Maybe the mist spirit is The representation of good and Ruin the Representation of Evil. Each one granting power to those It finds capable, Each one having its own power to give out. I know this does not have much to do with snapping,  But it could be that What we thought was snapping from trauma and gaining the powers of allomancey, could in fact be the mist spirit giving power to those it knew would eventually rise up. And the Ruin giving power to those it knew it could use like the inquisitors.
Confront you enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Isix, I believe that this post should have been placed in the mist thread. Nevertheless, I will try to answer a few, just a few of your questions (and if I know myself, I will end up with more questions lol).

I do not think it is only a popular belief that the bead gave Elend its powers. Analysis of the text are, to me and to many, quite evident. If the bead that Vin gave Elend was pewter, Vin would have recognized it for what it is. She did not know that metal. That takes care of that question, I think. Elend found pewter when Vin gave him her vial to help him swallow the bead. In MB1 you will find much on the fact of snapping and if you read again this thread, you will even find quotes.

The only thing that is certain about the Mist Spirit is that it can use allomancy, not transmit it. The mist seems also to be agreeing with the allomancers, supporting and giving comfort, but is being repelled by those having hemalurgy modification (i.e. Inquisitors, Zane and Vin).

Would everybody agree on this ?

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
My one thing, Vintage, is that the mist spirit cannot for sure use allomancy. It possibly could, as vin feels it giving pulses when burning bronze, but she is unable to determine what metal it is. This makes me think that is just more of an allomancy-mists connection.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »
When Elend meets the Mist Spirit the very first time, it soothes him. It does use allomancy.

Quote from: MB2 p.545
The mist figure continued to point.
"What ?" Elend asked, his own voice sounding haunting in the silent air.
It stepped forward, arm still raised. Elend put a useless hand to his sword, but held his ground.
"Tell me what you wish of me !" he said forcefully.
The thing pointed again. Elend cocked his head. It certainly didn't seem threatening. In fact, he felt an unnatural feeling of peace coming from it.
Allomancy ? he thought. It's Pulling on my emotions !

I just re-read this morning  :P

Edit :

Sazed confirms it also.

Yet the mist spirit was demanding ; it paused to catch his attention if it lost him. It could simply be leading him to his death. And yet... he felt a trust for it that he could not explain.
Allomancy ? he thought. Pulling on my emotions ?

MB2 p. 561
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:36:17 PM by Vintage »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 12:09:21 AM »
All right, Cool. I didn't remember those passages. Most excellent
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence