Author Topic: The "Snapping" Thread  (Read 7770 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The "Snapping" Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
It's also easy in book where most of the main characters are allomancer to forget that they are exceedingly rare, for the whole noblepopulation of Luthadel, probably only 20% were allomancer, and probably only like 5% of the skaa.  An even smaller percentage are mistborn.  Think about it, house Venture, the most powrful hous, had one mistborn.  The only house we've seen with more is elariel, which had 2.  A house without allomancer is vulnerable, so i think that's pretty stron incentive to make sure there isn't a hidden allomancer who's talents are being wastedin your house.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:57:20 AM »
That and it helps Brandon emphasize just how much of bastards most of these people are... They hit their kids for an advantage over their friends and neighbors, thats a little messed up.

Vin had AMPLE chances to Snap throughout her childhood, but considering the level of trauma it took Kel (months after facing near-certain death against TLR and some Inquies), the only major situation I could point out would be when her sister got killed. Unless we want to raise the issue of  "Does everyone have a different Snapping threshold?" which would probably be the case, just like everyone has a different tolerance for pain.

I'm tired and babbling at this point, but I get this itchy feeling that that is when you lot accomplish your best theorizing... ^^
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:01 AM »
Unless we want to raise the issue of  "Does everyone have a different Snapping threshold?" which would probably be the case, just like everyone has a different tolerance for pain.

I actually hadn't thought of that. I like it though, and it makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »
I completely agree about everyone having a different Snapping threshold.  In fact, I might take it a step further and say that for a given person, the trauma that causes Snapping may not necessarily even be the most traumatic event in his life to date.  That is, a person may not Snap until he is somehow ready to Snap, then when the right trauma comes along, it happens.
He ate my horse.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »
Think about it, house Venture, the most powrful hous, had one mistborn.
Are you sure? (I haven't read WoA yet, so I guess this comes from there). I'm just remembering, after the assassination attempt on Elend that Vin heads off, when Elend goes and sees Clubs shop, when he comes back and his father tells him the story, he mentions how some of the guards thought they'd seen a third mistborn fighting the other two, and how it probably wasn't true, as "it wasn't one of ours", not the "one of", suggests that house Venture has more than one.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
That would be the implication, but we haven't seen any others, and this quote from straff is also pretty convincing.

MB2, Chapter 27, page 253 at the top.
That wasn't it at all. More mistresses meant more chldren. And more children, born from a high noble line like his, meant more allomancers. He'd only spawned one Mistborn, but there were many mistings.

That about did it for me. He could just be referring to "one of our allomancers."
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:08 AM »
This is an interesting point.

I think Straff did only give birth to one Mistborn (if you don't count Elend).  However, I think that it's very logical that there could of been a Mistborn in his house that wasn't one of his offspring.  We know that the great houses had several nobles living in them.  It's probably safe to say they weren't all from the same family.   

Doesn't he make a point about Zane is the only one he would trust because it's his own blood? 

The point also goes to thinking that with what he was doing in MB2, he would of brought every Mistborn he had control over. 

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
That quote, along with the fact that Zane is the only Venture mistborn we actually see (and you would think we would see more given the circumstances if there were any) I am inclined to believe Zane is the only one. I seem to remember Straff saying this specifically, but I couldn't find the passage, so I used that one.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 08:57:25 AM »
Well, assuming that Houses in TFE are like their counterparts in most other books (like WoT), then they would likely be composed of people who were 3rd or 4th cousins, and probably even a few times removed beyond that. What Straff seems to be saying is that there aren't any others in his direct bloodline, yet earlier implications are that there are other Mistborn in the service of the House (which is entirely sensical), most likely from a different branch of the family.

Back to the genetics aspect for a minute as my mind wanders... Do you think it takes having an affirmative gene combination for each of the powers to become Mistborn, or would it be a separate gene all to itself? I guess the former would explain their rarity...
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
I would think there are all sorts of ways to explain how inherited allomantic traits are passed down.  However, I think what happened to Elend was different.  I believe that first generation allomancers (those who ingested the bead) became Mistborn instantly.  From that point on, the genetic traits that are passed on become less potent as they are mixed with non allomancers.  This trend would eventually lead to the extinction of allomantic abilities, unless new first gen allomancers are created with the bead.  This could be used to support theories that Allomancy existed in history long before TLR, but had eventually been bred out and everyone eventually forgot about it.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »
I thought it was fairly well concluded that the bead was what did it... Guess that's what I get for assuming. Anyway, I agree that it must have gotten weaker, but it's interesting theory that it existed before and came back do to an action taken by TLR... Maybe allomancy is a thing of Preservation, and when Ruin had control last, it repressed it?

That brings on another theory now that I think about it... what if all those people the mists started to attack, but didn't, were unSnapped mistings and mistborn?

*Evil grin*

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
That brings on another theory now that I think about it... what if all those people the mists started to attack, but didn't, were unSnapped mistings and mistborn?

Or, what if the ones that the mists DID kill were unSnapped Allomancers?
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »
I wrote in a post about that a while back.  I went more along the lines of people who were unknowingly drawing upon the mists, and because they were unaware of what they were doing, just kept absorbing it until they either died or passed out.  I thought that this would explain why not everyone dies who is affected.  Some just have a seizure and walk away.  Ruin wouldn't be that sloppy.  If It decided to kill someone, it wouldn't screw it up.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »
Well, we know the Allomancers are connected to the mists, and we've never seen it take agressive action toward any of the allomancers we know, so doesn't it stand to reason that maybe the mists can't be used as a tool to attack them?

Here's an insane, completely out there thought: maybe the ones that survived were Hemalurgists, made by accident... you know, like stabbing a nail through a leg, etc.  :P  (J/k, mostly)

*Evil grin*

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 03:54:32 AM »
Another insane thought for our collection ? Maybe those who survived where Atium Mistings... They couldn't know since they were skaa and Atium was so expensive.