Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 35978 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 02:30:11 AM »
But Vin can still pull on the mists, which as far as we know has NEVER been done before.  What's so special about her?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »
Well if Tensoon (let's say it's him) said that she seemed to have the Mistborn powers of Old maybe that is what they could do then. I truly do not know what Tensoon could remember. If only Vind had digged into him then...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »
In think he was referring to her power,  I don't think he knew about her pulling on the mists.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »
In the first drafts of the book, the Well was not located under Kredik Shaw. Instead, it was in the north like everyone assumed it was. For good narrative and plot reasons, Brandon's agent (or was it his editor?) suggested changing the location of the well. This was a really good idea; the last part of the book reads much more smoothly now than it did in the first drafts.

So the stuff about Vin sensing pulses far to the north had to be re-explained a bit. They weren't really far to the north; they were coming from Kredik Shaw the whole time, and Vin just happened to be south of Kredik Shaw most of the time. They felt distant at first only because the pulses were so weak at first. Still, it's a little bit more clunky now, and I don't recall any hint in the story that Vin notices any change in the direction of the pulses when she's in different parts of the city.

When Vin and Elend go north of the city, she starts feeling the pulses from the south (the direction of Kredik Shaw) and it really confuses her. ^_^

I was looking at the map recently and noticed that Keep Venture is not south of Kredik Shaw, it's west.  Maybe in the revision, Sanderson should have removed all references to the direction she feels the pulses from.  Either that, or change the map (which would probably be harder, since I assume MB1 was already out at that point).
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
MB1 wasn't out when these changes were made to MB2, but the city map also isn't meant to be taken as canon.

It does seem to be cheating a bit though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  AMAZON, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I don't think this confirms elend is the hero, it just says he has to save his kingdom.

OCTOBER....  I WANT YOU NOW!!!

Red October standing by!

Sorry, I couldn't help it, my friends and I have a running gag involving Sean Connery, the Death Star, the Red October, and the tune of Yellow Submarine.

Anways, nothing to see here, continue on.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:12:51 PM by Faster Master St. Pastor »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
It does seem to be cheating a bit though.

I agree, why even have a map in the book if the things it depicts are actually in different locations, relative to each other?  Unless there was a plot twist where the mist spirit moves Keep Venture to another part of Luthadel (like when the Dark One moved rooms and walls and corridors around in the Caemlyn Palace and the White Tower).  In that case, the map would be a clue as to what Luthadel will eventually look like when Ruin is done.  :)
He ate my horse.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:26 AM »
Do you really think Ruin has that much power?  I'd say that's a little extreme.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
As do I, although I am sure EUOL appreciates your creativity in helping to resolving this slight errata issue.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Do you really think Ruin has that much power?  I'd say that's a little extreme.

I think it's extreme too.  I meant the theory as a joke, but I obviously didn't make that clear.  Tone of voice is hard to express online.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »
Right.  I bet you were up all night thinking about it  ;)  You won't rest until "The Mistborn of Time" is written. ;) ;D
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
Sorry darxbane, now that you've found out the secret plot, we have to kill you.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
Yep, darxbane is dead.  Slain by a time-traveling Mistborn assasin.
He ate my horse.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:17 PM »
I've always been slightly bugged by Keep Venture's location as well. 

In the first book, at the beginning when Kell goes to steal the Atium from there, he leaves Cammon's lair and head's north.

however, Cammon's lair is west of Keep Venture.  (I think those are the directions, either way, if you read that part, things don't line up).

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 12:34:34 AM »
Kelsier could have taken the scenic route.  Or possibly, keep venture is northeast of camon's lair. There are ways to make that work.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence