Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37477 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
Hmm...? Happyman, are you saying that since Alendi was not the actual HOA and that since....oh i forget his name--the terrisman who at first announced Alendi as HOA but then thought better...ok anyways. Im confused, are you saying that the terrisman not only figured out that Alendi wasn't the HOA but thought it was Rashevak? He does state some attributes about his nephew( that he hates what his people are doing, letting a nonterrisman be the HOA, and that he hates Alendi more acutely). Can those be traits he bears in his metalminds of what the HOA would be like? Im i making any sense?

This isn't really my theory.  I actually opposed it until I saw the chapter two bump.  It just fits much better now.

There were three main human actors that we know about from the past that lead to the current world situation.  There were Alendi, Kwaan and Rashek.  We have heard from Alendi, who definitely was not the hero of ages (but thought he was), and from Kwaan, who knew that Alendi was not the hero of ages, despite claiming he was at first.  Now we seem to have Rashek, who also clearly thought he was the hero of ages, perhaps with even more justification.

We have no evidence, however, that Kwaan though Rashek was the Hero of Ages; why Rashek thinks he is the hero of ages is something that we will hopefully find out, but it is still speculation to think that Kwaan told him.

Personally, it seems likely that the bumps were written by Rashek.  However, I still don't know what he means by Hero of Ages of why he thinks that that's him.  We still have a lot to learn.
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »
I'm inclined to disagree, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see who's right.

Oh its on!! Loser has to wear the other's choice of a profile picture for a week!!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
I'm inclined to disagree, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see who's right.

Oh its on!! Loser has to wear the other's choice of a profile picture for a week!!!
:o  That's intense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:02 AM »
Sounds good, Reaves. I shall start looking for humiliating pictures so that it can be particularly fun.

Chaos: Should you, in fact, choose not to refuse your title, the fact of the matter remains that I specified your title. You only sort of vaguely half specified mine. So I made up the rest. Since you weren't specific, I extrapolated a bit.... I, However, told you exactly what your title is, so you couldn't change it without my express approval. So there.

And you really shouldn't be allowed to refuse. It isn't very nice. I'm voting I still get to play the 'not absent' card.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
So the bet is Andrew says the bumps are written by Rashek, Reaves says they're by someone else?

This should be good. I give it...two more chapters. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:18 AM »
So the bet is Andrew says the bumps are written by Rashek, Reaves says they're by someone else?

This should be good. I give it...two more chapters. ;)

Which is great, considering there are two more sample chapters.

Andrew: I totally did specify this! Observe!

Quote from: Me
For future reference, though... I hereby declare Andrew as the Executor of my Opinions when I am gone. You know, like an executor of someone's last will, only with fan theories.

With all things, one must look at intent. From this, since I am the writer and thus, the bestower of meaning, I inherently make intent. I'm overflowing with the stuff. The intent illuminates the meaning of "when I am gone." It refers to "any time not on TWG".

And now, for my final act. I said "declare" as my main verb in naming you. You said "I am officially naming". What does this mean?

Well, "declare" is clearly the more kingly term. The Hero of Ages is like a king.

Kings don't use passive voice in their edicts, man. Get with it :P.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:52:08 AM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
"I am naming" is not passive voice. It's present progressive. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
"I am naming" is not passive voice. It's present progressive. ;)

Dang it, you're right. Curses!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »
You only said, "When I am gone." I had to make up the second half of the title, so therefore, I can warp the second half of the title as well.

And not only am I not passive, I'm presently progressive. Much better than being active. So obviously, mine is the more kingly way of saying it. Or in this case more heroic.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »
Well... I have a follower. Take that!