Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37432 times)

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:11 PM »
Back to the subject. I am tired, so very tired. Sore throat and what not, so I just cant think much. But...

I was kind of curious today and wanted to know if Vintage was also an english word. Yes, I was thinking about myself. I just love doing it  ;D - by the way it is and it means the same thing - but this is not my point. While I was reading my little hamster which I gained in Dune was keeping on running into my head. And these were my thoughts.

Now Brandon took time to write in his annotations that every member of the crew had a nickname. With his marvellously crooked mind - whats his saying again ? There is always another secret - What about if Vin is already her nickname, her full name only known by her poor Mom ? What could "Vin" hide ? So I already held the english dictionary and started to look and I froze nearly at the very start. One of the very first names that starts with "Vin" is Vinculum (you understand why everybody would prefer calling her Vin ).  And what does Vinculum means ? Well, I will just give you the link to Wikipedia. After you read it, pass your mouse on the post to read what I was thinking. Don't cheat. Cheat is from Ruin...

Vinculum

So you read ? What do you think ? I know I am crazy, but isn't it the very spirit of Mistborn (to be convince, read the last paragraph again) ? And doesn't it make it logical that Vin would not be the Hero of Ages but bring people to him ? Read again the first paragraph...

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
I don't know about that one... what I got from "Vinculum" is that it is used to denote infinity (sort of--at least infinite decimals). Infinite power, maybe?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Eudaimoniac

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
Besides from infinity it also denotes some kind of repetition. The decimals continues in the same order. A fine thought for WoT, but i do not think it is applicable here...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »
Whoa, let's not get all 6 degrees on this stuff.  Basically, Vin has been the main character's name for a long time.  the original story is quite different from the current Mistborn version, and Vin was a different gender, as well.  I don't think the name choice is prophetic in any way.  As far as we know, EUOL could have seen a poster for The Fast and the Furious, and the name Vin stuck with him. We could also assume that VINdicate, VINdictive, diVINe, and inVINcible, could also describe Vin's character to a degree. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
If there really is a hero of the ages and it's not just a ploy to get folk to open up strange wells, then perhaps Kelsier could technically maybe have also qualified? as the person who way back when who was considered as having been the hero of ages was offed and replaced by the Lord Ruler, Kelsier could also  supposedly be as much of a hero of ages (as the very original candidate)?

Okay, my logic is probably not sounding so clear at this point of night...

Anyway, I'm not putting too mcuh stock in the idea of there being one true hero of ages.

although... it is the third book's title... but that just means it's been on the characters minds... so... I really want the book to come out now... I don't know how much more speculating I can do.

Maybe we should make I-Spy styled bets for random things we theorize will pop up in H.o.A.... that could be a cool thread.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »
Well, I am afraid (no, no, not really) that the Amazon.com description confirms that Elend is the Hero of Ages. In all cases, Kelsier maybe could have fitted the description, but since he is of the past...

What amazes me though, is that after killing Alendi, how did Rashek thought he could be that hero. I almost thought, actually, that it was more in the thought of Kwaan to make a move like Rashek did than himself.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
The only thing that blurb confirms is that Elend and Vin can't discuss how to deal with Ruin because it could find out about their plans.  To me, this means that she is going to act alone.  Here's something to chew on:  Will Vin and/or Elend die at the end of book 3?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
In reality, I don't like theorizing what the Hero is or isn't. That's almost like crossing a line... once we know what the Hero is really supposed to do, then the whole series will click into place. I for one don't want to be surprised about that one--that, and I really have no idea. Maybe I'll feel differently if I get a proper revelation regarding the Hero.

(And strangely, so begins my brain trying to create a revelation for it)

In any case, what the Amazon description successfully does is confirm that Ruin is the name of the Well-spirit, and that it is also the Deepness. We already knew this, but at least Brandon can't complain if I link new TWG members to the Ruin and Preservation topic. I always secretly thought he didn't like me for figuring that one out and revealing it to everyone.

Also, the blurb tells us essentially what Vin and Elend's plotlines will be, or at least foreshadows it.

Dying: There will be death. I don't know who or how, but people will die. I mean... we have an omniscent being killing people. That screams for sudden deaths.

I would say that it also mentions that there are earthquakes, but I really think that that is a topic for Ruin and Preservation (that topic is on Page Two, by the way).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
You can't always consider marketing copy or Amazon descriptions as actual canon. Just sayin'.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »
That is true.  To be completely honest, when I first read that blurb I thought Chaos wrote it.  By the way,  thank you though for making a comment that manages to make everyone second-guess themselves without actually giving anything away.  You're going to give poor Chaos a stroke.  :(

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Yeah, sheesh. It's not like my blood pressure is already through the roof. I'm literally on the verge of a stroke anyways.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  AMAZON, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I don't think this confirms elend is the hero, it just says he has to save his kingdom.

OCTOBER....  I WANT YOU NOW!!!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world

Hum, Comatose, it does say the world.

Just teasing ! Don't hit me !

By the way, I find this quote on Amazon.ca and Chapters Indigo which are competitors. It does seem to be coming from Tor...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »
I assume by your teasing that you got my meaning.

Anyway, we are forgetting something about Vin through all of this.
Everyone's saying her power just comes from her pure blood line, adn other than her hemalurgic ability to pierce copper clouds, she is a normal mistborn, and that elend is probably the hereo, but wait,
Vin can draw on the mists with the earring out, we all gloss over this point but there is something very special about Vin, noone else can do what she did, except for perhaps the lord ruler.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
I agree. I also remember that was it Ore Seur or Tensoon that said that she seemed to have the Mistborn powers of old ? I'm re-reading. I will find the passage. But he meant Mistborn of the firsts generations. It seems that power got diluted over time. Now, if this is true, and somehow I do not doubt it, it would mean that Elend has now a power in him unknown to most of his time. He is the new pure blood line. He might be even more powerful than Vin, for what we know. Only speculating of course... till october.