Author Topic: These Stupid Titles VI  (Read 132270 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: These Stupid Titles VI
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »
I for one tend to agree. I almost vomitted when I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think his time is over and he should leave classics alone. Stop ruining them with his crap and let someone better remake them.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »
I for one tend to agree. I almost vomitted when I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think his time is over and he should leave classics alone. Stop ruining them with his crap and let someone better remake them.
Yeah, that remake was highly revolting. I loathed it so much that I couldn't even finish watching the DVD I rented. I've never been a big fan of Burton, and this movie just made me wanna lock him up in Arkham or Belle Reeve or whatever looney bin would take him. Blah.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »

-les sigh-

Did you ever read the book?  The original movie left MUCH out that was in the book because they were worried how the general public would see it.  It is the same case with Alice In Wonderland  Burton is just not afraid to take what really happened and express it in his own manner.  His rendition of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was A LOT closer to the actual book than the older one.  I also trust that he will do an amazing job with Alice In Wonderland.

Apparently they did have a right to worry about what the general public would think, because obviously people didn't like it.  I for one loved it and admire Burton's willingness to do things the way they should be done and not care what people think.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Finally someone defending the new Charlie. I loved it. My wife, not so much. But I thought it was excellent.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
I read the book again right around the time of seeing the movie. Burton (or rather, the screenplay writer) deliberately changed Willy Wonka's character. Like I said in the Movies forum, in the book Willy says "Of course they can!" and in the movie Willy says "Of course they can't!" when Charlie asked if his family could come along. The complete opposite.

We liked a lot about the movie (production-related, mostly), but not Willy Wonka's character changes and his dumb father issues.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2008, 02:07:18 AM »
]-les sigh-
Did you ever read the book? 
Sigh all you want. I have read the book. I actually wrote a paper on some children's and YA lit in which food is overwhelmingly used as a means to discourage kids from behaving badly, to satirize human foibles, and so on. One of the largest sections of my paper focused on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. While I agree the old movie softened up the novel's sharp edges and zany bluntness, the original movie still had much more heart and made much more sense than Burton's remake. He just "weirded" up the story to the extreme and twisted things around so that the end result was a VERY annoying remake. I could scarcely stand to watch most of it whereas I have happily re-read the book and re-watched the original movie.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »
The original movie had Charlie steal the gum though, which went against his character from the book. Change Willy, change Charlie, the moviemakers can't just leave well enough alone. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
I've been wondering this for a long time, but could never think of anywhere to ask it, and since this thread is way off topic anyway I may as well. ha ha.

What exactly is a Mok?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »
It's like a wookie/bigfoot! Don't you remember Thundarr the Barbarian?!  ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
It's like a wookie/bigfoot! Don't you remember Thundarr the Barbarian?!  ;D
I KNEW his DP looked familiar. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2008, 09:53:45 PM »
I am an Eager Page now!  I am not sure why I am so eager, or if I just work for a guy named Eager.  How did Tim Burton's movies get into this thread, anyway?  Is Overrated Director a title on these forums?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »
Eager Page?

That title could possibly be considered dirty, if you link it to a certain Florida Congressman.  :o

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:05 AM »
I'll be in prison forever. You would think that being in prison would give me time to post more and therefor one day make it out of said prison but I guess the guards around here have strict rules and I don't want to end up on the wrong end of the night stick in more ways then one.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2008, 05:53:56 AM »
Well, if you need someone to bust you out, look no further than a Brave Peasant.  We have an uncanny ability to take on any task, albeit not always honest ones.  ;)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
Yes, and apparently I would be more than willing to help if my boss gets involved.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.