Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Plot Points *Spoilers*  (Read 10091 times)

Kelsier

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord of the Mists
    • View Profile
    • The Christian Halo Union
Mistborn 3 Plot Points *Spoilers*
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
After reading Mistborn 1 and 2 for the second time, I've come up with a list of possible Mistborn 3 plot points.

Inquisitor-Keepers
Near the end of Mistborn 2, a Terris refugee explains to Elend that the Synod has been destroyed. The Keepers are dead. He is not, however, sure how many of them still live. He says it's hard to say, as the Inquisitors have taken the bodies. This last statement leads me to my theory. Is it possible the Inquisitors are going to make new brethren out of Keepers? If so, these Inquisitors could be as dangerous as the Lord Ruler.

Koloss Nails
These are mentioned only briefly in the second novel. I missed this the first time I read it through. However, it is there. On page 252, Sazed glances across his desk. On it is "a pile of strange metal nails taken from Koloss bodies." The book does not elaborate; in fact, that is the only time this is mentioned. I have a feeling, however, that this is going to be explained in Mistborn 3.

Statlin City
One page 261, Elend and Vin find a mural. It is a sheet of metal. On it is carved a map of the Dominance, and just outside of Luthadel, a small city is circled. This is Statlin City. Is it possible the atium is there? If not, why is it circled? This is obviously going to play a key factor in the plot of Mistborn three.

So there you have it. I didn't bother pointing out the obvious things—Vin's power, the mists, the well. We all know these things must be resolved. However, I figured I'd get something up here to point out the things less frequently discussed. If you have any plots to add to this—or any comments on my theories—feel free to post them here.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Mistborn 3 Plot Points *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
Well, all of those points are definitely things that will be discussed. I couldn't see them just being forgotten.

I'll probably add a few more things a little later when I have more time. I know, however, that the majority of the book will deal with getting Cett's kingdom back from an obligator--and I don't know that because I have some mysterious "in" with Brandon. It was just mentioned in an annotation.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
As far as the Inquisitor-Keeper thing goes I dont think they killed all of them or almost all of them to make new inquisitors. I think that like the Lord Ruler whatever came out of the well has no need of people who can recall memories from days long past. I believe there is already evidence that it manipulated age old prophecies. So, it is just having the Keepers eliminated to prevent it's secrets(whatever they may be) from being revealed some time in the future.  I don't know if it's a good idea when dealing with a fantasy novel but I'm just following Ockham's Razor on this....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »
The Keepers thing is puzzling to me.  Maybe it is punishment for Rashek's actions.  It would seem that there would be no concern for the Keeper's, as their metal minds can be manipulated so that any knowledge left that could hurt the Well Spirit could be changed or erased.  Using them to create more inquisitors is an intriguing idea.

Did you notice that the mural was carved in metal?  Interesting, isn't it?  Rashek obviously knew of Ruin's abilities, and made sure this particular information could not be changed.  Whatever is there, it was of great importance to Rashek.

The Koloss nails make and interesting Hemallurgy arguement.  The one thing I don't know is how they get them.  Since they can produce offspring, are the nails added after birth, or do they somehow just have them?

Now I'll throw something really wild out there.  If the nail in the Koloss is what allowed Vin to control them, then there must be a nail in all kandra, as well.  Not only that, but does that mean that Vin could possibly take control of an Inquisitor is she had enough power?  Muwahahahahah!!!  EUOL called us crazy, might as well go with it.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
Now I'll throw something really wild out there.  If the nail in the Koloss is what allowed Vin to control them, then there must be a nail in all kandra, as well.  Not only that, but does that mean that Vin could possibly take control of an Inquisitor is she had enough power?  Muwahahahahah!!!  EUOL called us crazy, might as well go with it.

Nicely done! It really does make sense though. Think about it, maybe that is how the well spirit controls the Inquisitors as well as how it spoke to Zane....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »
What happens to the keepers has been touched upon in a thread, the hemalurgy or mists thread I think, anyway, good points.  Statlin city, is I'm guessing where the atium is, but you know brandon and his plot twists, if things keep goin as they are they will never find this stuff.  That Vin-nail-control theory sounds interesting.  It would back up that the well spirit and the mist spirit use allomancy, just really powerful, it would also show why the lord ruler was so powerful (not just that he was the first allomancer, and could heal instantly- he also mgiht have recieved an allomatic boost from the well's power, when the lord ruler dies, the well gets it's allomancy back, and BOOM, it can control things again!!!  It's just the sort of paralell that brandon loves, like in Elantris with the Aons- the land- and the city.

I'll probably add a few more things a little later when I have more time. I know, however, that the majority of the book will deal with getting Cett's kingdom back from an obligator--and I don't know that because I have some mysterious "in" with Brandon. It was just mentioned in an annotation.

Which annotation, I'd like to read it, I thought I read them all.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:16:59 AM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
Could I join the CotCO (Circle of the Crazy Ones) ?

I think somehow there must be a link between the Inquisitors and the Koloss but maybe not that obvious. Reading you gave me the idea.

Kelsier's brother (shame on me, I forgot his name) hated the Inquisitors but to get to know how to destroy them, became one of them. Now, changes occured in him that he didn't want for sure. He became bloodthristy and violent... as the Koloss are, please note. Hold to that.

The inquisitors have 11 nails in them and they all have the powers of full Mistborns eventhough they were not to start with. Now, we know that it is not hard to 'make' a mistborn, a simple swallow ! But what are the fonctions of those eleven nails ? I would suggest this : Each nail is made of a different metal. Being inside the body but yet visible on the outside (obviously not when they're dressed). Could it be possible that being inside the body a regular allomancer could not take power over eventhough they are also outside ? Could it be because it allows them to burn metal without having to ingest some right in the middle of a fight ?

Now the Koloss have only one nail. Bad memory to my account, I don't remember what Poor Breezie Dear burns... (bronze ?) that allows him to suggest or enhanced feelings. What would happen if that nail would be of that metal or its alloy ? Would it not provide a mean of control over the beast ? Isn't it how Vin takes control when she adds duralumin ? Doesn't she void all feelings ? When she takes control, they become docile and obedient, to her of course. How about if they would have that nail but not the capacity to burn it ? If it would be THE mean of control ?

Same for the inquisitors. Their blood thirst has to be explained somehow as a reaction to their allomancy. M... was not like that and hated them because they were. He wouldn't change intentionaly. It is obvious to me he just can't help it.

The idea with the Kandra is interesting but somehow... Like Vin could draw from the Mist and Kandra is linked somehow with the Mist, I do not think it needs a nail, just like the Mist does not need metal but can be a substitute, the Mist not being an invention of the Lord Ruler, that is. The Mist Spirit is also interesting to see. I was wondering, when Elend and Spook were coming back from the North, Elend sees the Mist often and comes to believe that it is not evil. Vin doubts because she saw it with a knife floating over him and she was sure it wanted to kill Elend. However, during their long walk back, the Mist was there, Vin not in the way, and it did not attack. To do so, it waited for Vin to be around. I have the feeling that the Mist Spirit has a mind of its own and that it's power is against the well's power. It needed a knight of somesort let's say, to fight its combat...

Moreover, in Mistborn 1, we have the journal of the so called 'hero of ages' that turned out not to be the One. In Mistborn 2, we have the account of Rashek's uncle written in metal because it is the only thing that is stable and won't change. The Hero would not have taken the power for himself, but Rashek did. All the prophecies (modified by the Lord Ruler over his thousand years - including those of the Keepers) did say, that the power was not to be taken by the hero... but Rashek did. Didn't the record of Rashek's uncle say that the power had to be taken ? Which is the evil one ? The Mist Spirit or the Well's power ? Which is the good one ?

I might not make sense very much... as I said, I AM crazy...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
I think you just did 8).  You have some great theories there.  I especially like the ones that I have mentioned in other threads.  Another disciple is born!  I will answer a couple of your questions, but you should also reference the following threads to catch up: 
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5745.0 
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5739.0
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5736.0

There should be plenty of craziness to occupy you in those.  Some of us believe that Hemallurgy is the lynch pin for most of what we don't yet understand.  We are pretty confident that Marsh's sudden change is due directly to the influence of the Well spirit, or Ruin, as we have learned to call it.  Ruin can influence metalminds, writings on anything not etched in steel, and can also "communicate" with Hemallurgical beings.  This seems to be directly related to the amount of metal in one's body.  Alendi and Vin only feel the Well's pulse.  Zane hears "God" telling him to kill everyone but Vin, and the Inquisitors, including Marsh, are almost completely under Its control.  If you reread the fight scene between Marsh and Sazed you begin to understand that Marsh is not in control of his actions.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »
Well... you did not work much to make a disciple, I'd say ! lol

Thanks for the links. I am afraid these are not the only one I'll have to read. I am afraid to have to read again both Mistborn books - well afraid because I just can seem to do anything else when I read see... and I should work a bit on my translations... I hate passion. It always gets in the way  ;D and why am I always so far behind ? ...

Would you know if something like a concordance is being worked on ? That would certainly help with research.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:28:03 AM by Vintage »

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
there are the annotations on Brandon's website.  He has posted up to Mistborn 2 Chapter 27.  They give some good background on each chapter and section of the books thus far.  I don't know if there is any Mistbornopedia planned, but if there is, it's probably on hold while A Memory of Light is written.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »
Twenty nine actually.  Welcome Vintage, enjoy those threads, there's some great stuff on them.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:40:26 AM »
Thank you all !

Yes, 29. I read some, not all yet, but I'm coming to it. Brandon has some sense of Humor, hey ? lol Sometimes he tells things right out and so straight you just don't connect things, just like the first time he speaks of Ore Seur and of traitor right in the same paragraph, in the same annotation...

There are a few things I would like to submit to the thinking of this very noble assembly. It's just there, bugging me. Let's put the prophecy aside as Chaos reminded us - Now I have to read the books again so just bare with me a sec. I have no proof and not much to found my delirium upon.

There was suppose to have renown for the one who discovers the Hero of Ages... so here is the thought

How about Vin would be the one to find the Hero of Ages, and Elend would be that hero ? Is there a thread that discuss this possible point or am I just to ill advanced to hope of any redemption for my poor brain ? After all, we are learning through Brandon's annotations that Elend is learning to be a leader. Why would he have to learn that ? Why would another leader not good enough ? Moreover, why would he need to be a full Mistborn for ? Let's just pretend that the Mist created Mistborns to fight the Well of Ascension. Let's just pretend that Rashek knew he had to take the power and that the Mist was its alley and not his ennemy ? His whole "palace" was decorated with mist kind of patterns. Isn't the flag high enough ? Now we learn of a lot of things that the Lord Ruler was dealing with successfully while alive - wooden small habitations for skaa - easy to heat up in winter - good management of the food supply so nobody would ever really starve - on a permanent diet, yes, but not really starving, etc... So he wasn't totally evil eventhough he had to be harsh. Why did he have to be that harsh ? Dunno. Why did he want to annihilate feruchemy so much that he had to control reproduction to erase it ? Dunno... well, I think I know but. Let's just say he wasn't all evil and that his last words where really true, the words of an old dying man that knows his end has come. So... let's just pretend that the Deepness wasn't the mist at all, but the evil deepness of the Well of Ascension, its depth and power. Back to Elend. How about if the Mist had to nearly kill him in order for him to snap and become a Full Mistborn and of the purest kind since he received a pure first hand mistborn creating drop to swallow ? How about feruchemy could be a stumble to succeed definitively over the Well of Ascension (and therefore TLR had to keep fighting its raising again) and that would be the reason why TLR was doing exactly the same thing than Elend's father was doing but with a higher calling ? (That man had no fear, I tell you, or he was a great gambler ! ) Raising himself an army of Mistings and Mistborns to fight the Well on its next opening ? Of course, he had to make sure it would be of the purest sources so he would watch over the procreation of these also, encouraging marriage between nobles whom he had given the privilege of being Mistborns, and rejecting mixing with Skaa which had nothing like that. With all the pottery that was broken and so few beads available, we could think he had to limit the original number of privileged one.

Told you, delirium...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:52:23 AM by Vintage »

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
I like the enthusiasm, though!  :)  Something the Lord Ruler says to Marsh gives a very strong clue to his personality.  I don't remember the exact quote at the moment, but he basically talks about dominating the world.  Rashek's entire philosophy is based on control.  All of his creations have a built-in kill switch.  He controls the nobles by controlling all business through his Obligators.  The power he received only bolstered his existing beliefs.  The Skaa were fed because starving people do not work effectively, and they tend to die faster than they can reproduce. 
      I have changed my mind on why Feruchemists were being bred out.  I don't think TLR was really that concerned about someone gaining an Allomancy/Feruchemy hybrid ability.  I think book 2 shows his real motivation.  Ruin was nearly released because it manipulated metalminds.  Culling Feruchemists out of the Terris race would remove a weapon fromt he Well Spirit's arsenal. 
  I have to disagree with the whole TLR offspring theory.  He did not need an army, all he needed was to make sure he took the power again the next time it appeared.  This is why he built the palace over the well. 

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
Well, I'm glad the new disciple got that right  ;D At least, it seems logical that way. I was thinking that maybe his feruchemy was giving TLR something of a taint (Well, after all I came through TWoT) and that was why he had to keep on fighting the Well down. So this would have been the reason why he would have needed an army of Mitborn (preferably) and Mistings, for the final battle.

But you know, if TLR would not care so much about someone gaining allomancy/feruchemy ability, maybe that is not what gives him so much power, after all. We can doubt everything, right ? I'll dig it some more. I've started to read... the other way around, starting by the reading of that metal sheet, end of Mistborn 2. How do you call it ?

Poor Sazed though. Instead of not believing anything anymore, he should just learn not to trust himself. After all, we are often our worst enemy !

Edit - I just saw I was an assitant cathedral sweeper... rofl
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:19:07 PM by Vintage »

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »
I think the lord ruler was definately trying to prevent someone from attaining both powers and challenging him, I don't htink think he would do it just the get rid of metal minds that ruin can use.  The only things he feels passionate about besides control and power are his own people, he wanted them to be dominant, but once he had allomancy, he had to choose, between making his own people dominant, and maintaining his power forever.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier