Author Topic: Questions for Brandon (non-book related)  (Read 4888 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Questions for Brandon (non-book related)
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:02:06 AM »
Okay, so I just had one of what my friend and I refer to as  "brain on" experiences, which is where my brain finally processes information I've had for a while.  I've read a couple of your blog posts recently however, and therefore realize that you most likely will not be able to answer these questions for a while.  I figured I had a better chance for answers on the boards though, considering how long it took last time I used email way back when you had more free time.

In this case I am referring to the fact that you went to Korea for your mission.   I actually took up two Korean martial arts about eight months ago, which is why that information has now become extremely interesting to me.  Basically I'm interested to know if you heard about Haidong Gumdo at all on your mission and if so, what?  I'm also interested to know pretty much anything about the culture there and the differences and contrasts between here and there.  Languages, attitudes, whatever.  Think of me as a humorous parody of a dog begging for scraps. 

Also if you'd be willing to share any conversion stories you have as well that would be really cool, however I am aware of the sometimes sensitive nature of such.  I am certainly understanding if you don't want to or would rather do so over email, seeing as I am not particularly interested in causing religious controversy on the boards.  Not really my style.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any questions you choose to answer, meanwhile I'll go back to recruiting for your undead army.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Brandon (non-book related)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
Bump.  Maybe Brandon'll see it this time.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
FMP,

This is the sort of thing I'd rather share via email than on a forum.  Please email me and I'll try my best to get to it and answer you.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »
I have one that fits here... Kinda. Nothing too urgent, just wondering when you were going to post the next of "Sanderson's Laws"? It was an interesting take on power systems, and I'd love to read whatever else you've got on the subject.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:14:17 PM by AvalonDreamer »
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Isix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:27:54 AM »
Somewhat random, But in reading your books I noticed that any alcohol consumed in your book is pretty much wine, I was wondering if you were a fan of wine yourself. And if so, Do you have a proffered brand?
Confront you enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
Alright, sounds good.  I just fired off an email using your site.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Somewhat random, But in reading your books I noticed that any alcohol consumed in your book is pretty much wine, I was wondering if you were a fan of wine yourself. And if so, Do you have a proffered brand?

Brandon is Mormon, so he doesn't drink alcohol.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
hum... there is alcohol in wine. 12 % actually. But I don't think the use of wine in Mistborn and Elantris is relevant to its consumption. It's rather for the sake of the fantasy beverage proferred by many... specially, spiced wine, in the Wheel of Time. Wine and fantasy seem to go together.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:56:37 PM by Vintage »

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 02:33:14 AM »
How does one go about becoming an beta reader? I don't know if you're going to be doing them for aMoL, or if Harriet/Tor are even going to allow you to, but if they do, I'd very much like to know how to go about becoming one.  It was fairly devastating when Jim died, as his books have all had a massive impact on me, and when I heard that you were writing the final book, it was one of the happiest days of my life (probably just after my engagement lol).

It would be an amazing honor to be a part of the legacy, even if just as a beta; but I guess I'll be happy enough waiting for it to come out if that isn't possible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:36:00 AM by AvalonDreamer »
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 03:28:27 AM »
I asked about it and he said that he was barely able to get his wife and agent in on the non-disclosure he signed, so even those who are lucky enough to be alphas for his books won't be reading it before.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »
Wow, that's more than I expected. Then again, I didn't really expect any alpha readers to get a hold of it anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
I didn't even bother asking, heh.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:54:47 AM »
Yeah, I didn't either. Its one thing when it's Brandon's original work, its another when he's finishing someone else's, especially when that someone is Jordan.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
Agreed in whole FMSP, but I was more looking for the procedure to become a reader, and if it was going to go beyond Tor's in-house people; not asking Brandon to violate the sanctity and security of RJ's yet premature final masterpiece. I guess in all of my fanboy zeal, I may have come off wrong.

*Evil grin*

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
In this case I am referring to the fact that you went to Korea for your mission.   I actually took up two Korean martial arts about eight months ago, which is why that information has now become extremely interesting to me.  Basically I'm interested to know if you heard about Haidong Gumdo at all on your mission and if so, what?  I'm also interested to know pretty much anything about the culture there and the differences and contrasts between here and there.  Languages, attitudes, whatever.  Think of me as a humorous parody of a dog begging for scraps. 

Hey, I served in Korea too (Taejon).  And got to go back later with my husband to teach English.  He did some Gumdo while we were there, but I don't think it was that kind.
~금강산도 식후경~