Author Topic: MB1 ? about Lord Ruler **** Major Spoiler****  (Read 10548 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: MB1 ? about Lord Ruler **** Major Spoiler****
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
I think there's something else about the lord ruler, he's the first allomancer, he's a feruchemist, so his physical sttributes are re powerful than other allomancers, and he took the power of the well, which I think mayhave affected him somehow, like the way he is able to soothe so many people into complete depression at once- something Vin can only do to one person for a moment using duralumin.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
Maybe I need to go reread the books again or go read all the various prediction threads again but do we have any proof that the Lord Ruler was the first allomancer? If so how did others then become allomancers because isn't allomancy passed down through bloodlines? I don't remember any talk of any of the Lord Rulers decendants.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Sazed said a number of times that before the ascension, there was no allomancers. The Lord Ruler was the very first one. I also remember reading (that is scarry... I usually don't have memory !!!) that the Lord Ruler rewarded the people that helped him at the beginning by making them allomancers. From that point on, the allomancy was transmitted by bloodline and its power was going down from generation to generation due to the mixed blood. Actually, I remember this because at that time, I was wondering (and still am) if Vin wouldn't be the Lord Ruler's daughter... Can you imagine what that would imply ? That would easily explain why she is so much more powerful than Kelsier himself.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
Ahhh....Now I remember. Thanks

As for Vin being his daughter I don't think that is possible. The highest ranking obligator(forgot his name) was her father and I don't think there is any evidence to dispute that. Especially when he was confronted with her existence and didn't even try to deny he was her father.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »
I do know this. But it would not be the first time that a Lord would ask its subalbtern to kill a damsel and that this one... through pity, would not. He still could believe himself the father, though, and it would explain why he did not argue... or wanted to tell the Lord Ruler "You know that girl you wanted me to kill ? Well I just could not bring me to do it after all and she is the mother of that one"... So, nothing is impossible. I might be wrong, but Vin's super power as a Mistborn has to be explained somehow.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Vin is powerful, but nowhere near as powerful as the Lord Ruler (even with duralumin), with his massive soothing capabilities.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
Too true.  Besides, if Vin is TLR's daughter, then Zane was his son, as Vin and Zane were pretty equal in the power.  Kar explained that Vin was so powerful because she was of a relatively pure bloodline.  That was (allegedly) one of the clues to who Vin's father was.  I personally believe the Inquisitors were being manipulated by Ruin even then, although much more subtley. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
You got both good points. And I do remember that the Hero has to have royal blood as well. What made me think this is what Vin's mom said and she was herd by Reen, about Vin being a princess. Well, I should give it more thought.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 09:09:54 PM »
Yes.  Also remember that the prophecies are completely unreliable.  They change to fit the need of Ruin. 

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 01:13:18 AM »
The Lord Ruler does call her child, but that's just Terris speech patterns: Twyndil and Sazed speak like that as well.  I would say that Vin is more powerful than Zane, remember when they attacked lord Cett, they did the same amount of damage, Zane used Atium, Vin did not.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »
That's true, though what Zane lacks in power, he makes up for in control. Did he need to use atium in the attack? It was probably more common sense (use the tools you have available) when facing such odds.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
Also, Zane most likely did not use duralumin, and Vin used it in that fight.  He would not have taken the chance that Vin would discover his knowledge of her secret weapon.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
I must dispute when Vintage said the Hero has to have royal bloodlines. In Kwaan's writings in the epigraphs of WoA, he mentions that Alendi was specifically not royal, but married a princess (essentially making him royal in that way).  The prophecies said that the Hero wouldn't be royal.

Of course, since the Prophecies were manipulated, they could have said "originally" that the Hero was a royal, but that Ruin changed it to fit Alendi. So let's not look too far into those prophecies.

Changing subject!

Once again, I reference an annotation that says the Lord Ruler and Vin are powerful, but for different reasons. With the evidence provided in this topic thus far, such as the Lord Ruler soothing enormous masses of people but Vin cannot, but with Vin able to channel the mists, I can see that the Lord Ruler and Vin are actually quite different. I'm thinking that Brandon's entire thing about relating Vin to the Lord Ruler and the Hero was all just subtle deception. I'll say it again: Vin and the Lord Ruler are different. Somehow.

Part of the Lord Ruler's power comes from Feruchemy, and then some other things we don't know about. It could be something relating to Hemalurgy (before anyone disputes this, I believe I have explained my opinion that the Lord Ruler does use Hemalurgy in the Hemalurgy topic), or something else entirely.

Vin channels the mists. I'm almost wondering if the Lord Ruler could also use the mists in such a fashion. But, then,  if the Lord Ruler had that ability, he certainly would know its extent, and would know if Vin could defeat him by taking off his bracers. Maybe he didn't know anyone else could use it...

Maybe that subject should go in the mists topic.

Last thing, I doubt the Lord ruler would've procreated. He made the Terris breeding programs specifically to remove Feruchemy. Since Feruchemy and Allomancy are both heriditary, any child of the Lord Ruler would have the exact same abilities. The Lord Ruler fears a powerful challenger to his authority, so I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't have kids.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
Too true.  I also believe he uses Hemallurgy, as I'm sure you know.    I also agree that he wouldn't want or need kids.  Why pass on your power when you fully intend to live forever?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »
True, Zane does have more control, but I still think Vin is more powerful.  True, she used her ingenuity to beat him, but I think that in a fair extended fight, Vin would have won anyway, I'm pretty sure there's still something special about her, just not what was originally thought.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier