Author Topic: Discuss  (Read 8239 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: Discuss
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
My brother in law gave me the 'Deeds of Paksinarion' (I think I spelled that wrong) -it's the omnibus- and I didn't mind it until near the end there is this torture scene... descriptive, very, very descriptive and LONG. I think we're talking a full chapter at least. It was one of those moments where you've just invested over 1000 pages and you know something big is gonna happen in the center of the scene you don't want to be reading.
I just finished this book and I agree.  I could understand why it was there and all that, but it so didn't fit the rest of the book or help the reader in any sense.  It could have been much shorter and less graphicand still gotten the point across, but you knew it was important so you had to read it if you wanted to finish the rest of the book. I told my husband about it and he has given up about half-way through, though he had other issues with it as well. The title is Deed of Paksenarrion. :)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »
Yes, well, right there is an issue. Deed? For heaven's sake it's a huge book and has more than one 'Deed' going on. I really almost gave it up in the first few chapters when she was just learning to be a mercenary for page upon page! But I plugged along and then it got a little interesting when their Fort was captured. I still don't know how I feel about that book, some parts were exceptional. Like when she's alone in the world and goes to the priest friend of her's and offers all her possessions up to him then intends to go die. I cried!
And the lack of a love story just kills me. I like having some kind of romance going on or the book is rather dull for me.

But yes, to much torture.